Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

PSA - Please don't kill snakes unless you know they are deadly!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If they stop stealing eggs they will live longer around my place

Comment

The only good snake is a dead snake. The only thing they are good for is boots and belts and I won't one of those either. I see a snake, it's either dead or about to die.

Comment

I'm in the only learn 4 camp. I don't care enough about snakes to learn the rest of them.

Comment

Originally posted by ken800 View Post
          For those that don't know this, yes. There are quite a few snakes that like to dine on other snakes. Kingsnakes, for example, have no trouble eating pit vipers in addition to rodents. Both of which I can do without.

As a reminder there are about 120 species/subspecies of snakes in Texas and about 15 species/subspecies are venomous.

I suspect I'm just beating my head against a brick wall here. After seeing a dead rough green snake, I was dumbfounded. There are no bright green venomous snakes in the United States. Do we go around shooting every canine we see because it might bite?
          Yep, ignorance and fear abounds.

Comment

Great point to just learn the venomous.

Comment

Love snakes. Will take any snake over a rodent any day.

Comment

Originally posted by Kong View Post
                That’s about like telling a fat kid not to eat the cookies you left in his room overnight. I ate the cookies and I’ll smoke the snakes within a mile of the house. You do you n I’ll do me . My wife will shoot me if I don’t so I’m not taking the chance,
                Bahaha

Comment

I grew up in the country. For fun my little brother and I would go down to the creek’s edge and shoot the water mocassins with our pellet guns, move them back on to the shore with a long stick, and keep shooting them till they stopped moving. We’d then put them on a big ant mound.

My wife HATES snakes and will attempt to kill them all, even a little bitty grass snake. So, I’m not telling her about the 3’ long King snake that I came across next to our house 2 weeks ago! I was VERY glad to see it!!

Comment

speckled king snakes get a pass anywhere in the yard,, hope i don't ever find one in the house or garage so i don't have to decide what to do with him,,,

they are easy to identify at a glance which is why they live,,,, but those big nasty water snakes that look too much like moccasins become ant food.

i actually watched one working my pond and moving fish into the shallows,,, he became ant food,,,, watching that snake shimmy and shake on top of the water was a very strange event

Comment

Originally posted by Hunting4fun View Post
                      I like to gut shoot snakes. That way I don't have to drag them off.
                      This is funny.
                      I am in the leave them alone group now. When I was younger it had to die.

Comment

I'm indifferent on the debate but is there a shortage of snakes?

Comment

Clip the tail off so you can recognize them next time if they come back....right behind the head. I haven’t had any return yet.

Comment

Originally posted by Man View Post
                            Have you seen the replies from the men on this site on snake threads?? Urinating and releasing their bowels all over themselves, screaming like girls, lighting stuff on fire etc at just the very site of a snake. Good luck getting that message across.
                            There are 4 snakes a person needs to know in Texas. Three of those for get dead. The 4th, Coral, gets relocated. All the others get a pass. The exception diamond back water snake, just because they are A-holes

Comment

I only kill the bad ones now.

Wouldn’t kill a coral if I saw either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

The people how ask what kind of snake this is, probably a dead snake.

Comment

Working...
                                X