No announcement yet.

2021 Salty H20 Fishing Thread!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't know Galveston well. I'll try to answer it from the perspective of where I fish and what happens here and I think it carries over in a similar way in Galveston too.

Freshwater inflows are a good thing long term but they do affect the fishing in the short term. When we have a large rain event it will move a bunch of fish around. All the fish hanging out up in the creeks and rivers and the end of the bay those flow into are about to be displaced. So what happens here is they stack up on the first structure they come to past the fresh water, or on the edge of the fresh/salt. If the inflow continues and pushes them off of that they will go to the next structure. When you find them you will often find a whole lot of them piled into a small area. The fishing can be really good. I have places I fish solely based on runoff. I know when the runoff hits the fish are going to be there. And if that place is fresh I know the next place to look. In my area we just never see a total flush. There are always areas of the bay that stay salty. It takes a Hurricane Harvey type flood to totally flush all of Galveston Bay. You aren't looking at that type of event right now. So it won't see a total flush. There will be fishable areas.

If your guide has been doing it awhile he already knows where those upper bay fish are going. He already knows where it will stay salty. Chances are real good you could actually have a super good day if the weather the day of the trip plays nice and lets you get out and fish the areas you need to fish. Some of the places around here that they stack up from flooding are deep open water areas and we need calm winds to get on them. But when we do it is awesome.

Very soon after the inflows slow the tide action will mix the salt and fresh water and it doesn't take long at all before the fish start moving back into the areas they were displaced from.

My theory is that the fresh water doesn't effect the game fish nearly as much as it does the baitfish and the gamefish are going to go where the food goes. So it pushes the food out and the fish follow the food. As soon as it starts to get a little salty again the baitfish head back and the gamefish follow. That is how I look at it.

Take redfish for example, they like freshwater. It doesn't mean a thing to them. They stack up under the dam on the Colorado River in droughts to have some fresher water. The only reason they leave is lack of food. They are going to follow the food. If they have enough to eat I don't think it can be too fresh for them. So long as the food source is there the fish will be there too. That is my opinion. So usually no sooner than it starts to get a little salty in the rivers and creeks and starts to just green up the fish are already back in there. It's amazing how fast it happens.

And I can't tell you how many times I have waded in nasty brown runoff so fresh you could drink it and caught good fish. At times and in some situations the freshwater will be in a layer on top with saltier water in a layer on the bottom and the fish will stay in it in some areas that would surprise you just by looking at them.

Talk to your guide and see what he thinks. Freshwater runoff doesn't discourage me at all. I just think about how stacked up they may well be after the runoff. When you hit it right it can be some of the very best fishing.

I can't say where to go look for that in Galveston but I bet you those kind of areas are there. That pattern has held true in East Matagorda Bay, West Matagorda Bay and Espiritu Santo/San Antonio Bay for me. They are going to stack up somewhere, it's just a question of where and for how long.

Comment

Originally posted by tmurray View Post
      Here's an actual fishing question for you, how much fresh water is about to be in Galveston Bay System and when will salinity levels be normal(ish) again? I think we are good but have a trip booked for Saturday May 29 (next weekend).
      With the amount of freshwater predicted to enter the bay system this week they are projecting the fish will jump back into the water ~27th...so consider yourself lucky bud.

If you still think its a little to fresh for your liking fish deeper holes/guts and or bay mouths.

Comment

Originally posted by tmurray View Post
        Here's an actual fishing question for you, how much fresh water is about to be in Galveston Bay System and when will salinity levels be normal(ish) again? I think we are good but have a trip booked for Saturday May 29 (next weekend).

PS - croaker will die, my pics will have a yellow bucket, ban me if you must

Also - I set 4 dates with my guide back in January and just picked them randomly. I didn't realize until a couple weeks ago this trip was on a holiday weekend smh
        If the guide is worth his salt, he will know how to fish water that gets too fresh in Galveston Bay. It happens regularly. The holiday weekend is a bigger problem than fresh water, but I have caught hundreds of fish on holiday weekends in Galveston Bay. If I were him, I'd be going out earlier or later than usual, but he knows better than I do I am sure.

Comment

What happened to the boobies? I was becoming a saltwater fan!

Comment

Originally posted by Slew View Post
            What happened to the boobies? I was becoming a saltwater fan!
            Originally posted by rtp View Post
            The steep decline of this thread is shameful.
            Yep. Might be time to start gathering the torches!

Comment

There were some studies done in Louisiana a few years ago after major flooding events. They were doing tracking studies when one of the big fresh water events from the rivers happened and the tracking showed the fish (reds and trout) moved to the edges of the bay system instead of out of it (to the gulf). After Harvey I was doing very well along the Dickenson Bay/ Texas City shoreline during heavy fresh water run off. The best thing like Capt Glenn said was talk to your guide, he'll know what's going on. I wouldn't cancel a trip over a weatherman's prediction.

Comment

Originally posted by Capt Glenn View Post
                I try to keep it on track.
                Capt. Glenn, what spinning reels would you recommend? I want to get a couple new reels for my girls, will be used for throwing popping corks, etc. Already have a couple of 7-1/2’ rods ready for them.

Comment

2021 Salty H20 Fishing Thread!

Originally posted by JES View Post
                  Capt. Glenn, what spinning reels would you recommend? I want to get a couple new reels for my girls, will be for throwing popping corks, already have a couple of 7-1/2’ rods ready for them.

I ain’t Glenn, but a Penn Fierce is a dang good real for the money. I have a few that are 4-5 years old. Caught everything from redfish to cobia. Mine are a 2, think they’re on 3 now but almost unbeatable for $70.

Comment

Capt. Glenn, what spinning reels would you recommend? I want to get a couple new reels for my girls, will be used for throwing popping corks, etc. Already have a couple of 7-1/2’ rods ready for them.
                    I run Penn Battle inshore

Comment

I like Penn, they have held up the best for me. I use a mix of Battle IIs, Fierce IIs and Pursuit IIIs. Get the 2500 size and fill them up with 20-30# braid.

My next favorite reel is the Daiwa BG 2500. Another great reel.

Comment

Originally posted by panhandlehunter View Post
                        I ain’t Glenn, but a Penn Fierce is a dang good real for the money. I have a few that are 4-5 years old. Caught everything from redfish to cobia. Mine are a 2, think they’re on 3 now but almost unbeatable for $70.
                        Originally posted by Walker View Post
                        I run Penn Battle inshore
                        I like Penn, they have held up the best for me. I use a mix of Battle IIs, Fierce IIs and Pursuit IIIs. Get the 2500 size and fill them up with 20-30# braid.

My next favorite reel is the Daiwa BG 2500. Another great reel.
                        Good stuff, thanks for the feedback.

Comment

Check your local Wal Mart for the Pursuit III. Our's had them for $36 very recently, they usually are $49. They have a great drag and gears, same as the Fierce and Battle. You won't beat it for that price. The main difference is they have a graphite frame instead of aluminum which will flex and after enough use your gears will wear out faster. But for the price they are great little reels. If you are looking for something nice for yourself get the Battle III or Fierce III. If it's for kids and guests the Pursuit isn't bad at all. We've caught drum up to 40# on them already and bunches of slot to slightly over sized reds. They are holding up well.

Comment

Check your local Wal Mart for the Pursuit III. Our's had them for $36 very recently, they usually are $49. They have a great drag and gears, same as the Fierce and Battle. You won't beat it for that price. The main difference is they have a graphite frame instead of aluminum which will flex and after enough use your gears will wear out faster. But for the price they are great little reels. If you are looking for something nice for yourself get the Battle III or Fierce III. If it's for kids and guests the Pursuit isn't bad at all. We've caught drum up to 40# on them already and bunches of slot to slightly over sized reds. They are holding up well.
                            I was able to find a couple of Battle ii on eBay for about $80 each. Not many out there to be found.

Comment

I don't know Galveston well. I'll try to answer it from the perspective of where I fish and what happens here and I think it carries over in a similar way in Galveston too.

Freshwater inflows are a good thing long term but they do affect the fishing in the short term. When we have a large rain event it will move a bunch of fish around. All the fish hanging out up in the creeks and rivers and the end of the bay those flow into are about to be displaced. So what happens here is they stack up on the first structure they come to past the fresh water, or on the edge of the fresh/salt. If the inflow continues and pushes them off of that they will go to the next structure. When you find them you will often find a whole lot of them piled into a small area. The fishing can be really good. I have places I fish solely based on runoff. I know when the runoff hits the fish are going to be there. And if that place is fresh I know the next place to look. In my area we just never see a total flush. There are always areas of the bay that stay salty. It takes a Hurricane Harvey type flood to totally flush all of Galveston Bay. You aren't looking at that type of event right now. So it won't see a total flush. There will be fishable areas.

If your guide has been doing it awhile he already knows where those upper bay fish are going. He already knows where it will stay salty. Chances are real good you could actually have a super good day if the weather the day of the trip plays nice and lets you get out and fish the areas you need to fish. Some of the places around here that they stack up from flooding are deep open water areas and we need calm winds to get on them. But when we do it is awesome.

Very soon after the inflows slow the tide action will mix the salt and fresh water and it doesn't take long at all before the fish start moving back into the areas they were displaced from.

My theory is that the fresh water doesn't effect the game fish nearly as much as it does the baitfish and the gamefish are going to go where the food goes. So it pushes the food out and the fish follow the food. As soon as it starts to get a little salty again the baitfish head back and the gamefish follow. That is how I look at it.

Take redfish for example, they like freshwater. It doesn't mean a thing to them. They stack up under the dam on the Colorado River in droughts to have some fresher water. The only reason they leave is lack of food. They are going to follow the food. If they have enough to eat I don't think it can be too fresh for them. So long as the food source is there the fish will be there too. That is my opinion. So usually no sooner than it starts to get a little salty in the rivers and creeks and starts to just green up the fish are already back in there. It's amazing how fast it happens.

And I can't tell you how many times I have waded in nasty brown runoff so fresh you could drink it and caught good fish. At times and in some situations the freshwater will be in a layer on top with saltier water in a layer on the bottom and the fish will stay in it in some areas that would surprise you just by looking at them.

Talk to your guide and see what he thinks. Freshwater runoff doesn't discourage me at all. I just think about how stacked up they may well be after the runoff. When you hit it right it can be some of the very best fishing.

I can't say where to go look for that in Galveston but I bet you those kind of areas are there. That pattern has held true in East Matagorda Bay, West Matagorda Bay and Espiritu Santo/San Antonio Bay for me. They are going to stack up somewhere, it's just a question of where and for how long.

Great info. Thanks for sharing it with us.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                              My Flickr Photos

Comment

Ive got 10 Battle II’s. As they wear out/break I’ll get III’s to replace them.

Comment

Working...
                                X