Big CWD press release coming

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by sectxag06 View Post
    Talk about what. Your posts make zero sense.

And by the way, this story is a massive blow for Texas hunting. It’s not good. Nobody wants this.
    You have been drinking the wine and believe all you hear. Let's breakdown thw basics.

Not a soul knows for certain the long term issues of CWD. It's been in Texas since early 2010's. 9 Mule deer killed and 7 tested positive back in early 2010's. Those were the first cases. Yet its the Breeders that are at fault.

Multiple free ranging mule deer and elk in far West Texas have tested positive for CWD. Not a breeder facility with 100 plus miles of any of those positive test. I'm not a breeder or high fence owner but I think it ls total horsepoop to lay this at the feet of breeders. Do they have their issue sure. Are they the main cause of CWD? Absolutely NOT.

The State doesn't do **** about exotics or carcuses from out of State animals. I can kill a CWD positive elk in New Mexico haul it back to Texas debone and toss the carcus in the pasture which would spread CWD to the deer on my property. State does nothing to stop that. They do nothing to stop exotic movement across the state either.

So I ask you....What is the real concern the state has? CWD? Stopping breeders? Wasting tax payer money? If they really cared they would make the hard decisions and fix all of the above. Instead they do some feel goods and jack with the breeders.

Comment

Originally posted by justletmein View Post
      Meh... I don't think TPWD is afraid of disease killing people or deer for that matter. They're afraid 75% of the people will quit wanting to eat deer and an entire industry will crash. Quite the economic impact and they'd sure lose a ton of license funds.

Things may get interesting if the state of Texas bans the use of natural urine scents and feeders. Anything to “stop the spread”

Comment

I live in the epicenter of CWD up here. You need to pay attention but as far as decimating your deer herds, will not happen.
        Once established it will move through your herds. We started with elk in pens in SE Wyoming and now have CWD positives almost all over the state. It has shown to be pretty prevalent in mature bucks, more so than doe and elk.
        Once in you get it in the environment really no way to get rid of it yet.

The ranch we manage is literally right on the fence with the research facility that WG&F brought it too and studies it at. We have had no positive deer or elk but have seen and reported CWD elk to G&F, they dispatched it and it was positive on a neighbors property.
        We've been living with it for many years.
        If it gets a hold in a breeders facility they will have big issues so yes, it could be bad but not as of yet.

Comment

Last edited by PondPopper; 03-27-2021, 09:46 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Take Dead Aim View Post

The State doesn't do **** about exotics or carcuses from out of State animals. I can kill a CWD positive elk in New Mexico haul it back to Texas debone and toss the carcus in the pasture which would spread CWD to the deer on my property. State does nothing to stop that. They do nothing to stop exotic movement across the state either. .
            This isn't entirely true. I argued for days with one of the Val Verde county game wardens over the issue and he text this to me, it's covered under importing carcasses into Texas.
            Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by justletmein View Post
              This isn't entirely true. I argued for days with one of the Val Verde county game wardens over the issue and he text this to me, it's covered under importing carcasses into Texas.
              I agree I should have used more detail. That is a newer regulation which they do zero to enforce. They did it because everyone was calling BS on what they were doing to breeders yet didn't do crap anywhere else regarding CWD. They still don't regulate moving of exotics. Or enforce it.

They don't do anything to professors either. Hell if your deer test positive they don't confiscate it. You can keep and eat it or throw it in pasture. Zero common sense use dby TPWD. They wanted to go after breeders and this was their avenue.

Comment

I agree I should have used more detail. That is a newer regulation which they do zero to enforce. They did it because everyone was calling BS on what they were doing to breeders yet didn't do crap anywhere else regarding CWD. They still don't regulate moving of exotics. Or enforce it.

They don't do anything to professors either. Hell if your deer test positive they don't confiscate it. You can keep and eat it or throw it in pasture. Zero common sense use dby TPWD. They wanted to go after breeders and this was their avenue.
                As you no doubt know TAHC regulates movements of exotics, so blaming TPWD for that isn't exactly above board. Exotic susceptible species regs have improved, but there is obviously much still to do. Hunters are required to submit tests on the first 3? animals taken of a species per property, but compliance thus far has been sporadic at best.

The movement regs have been around for several years, since 2012 for the first zones in West Texas, and they are enforced. (as was pointed out the first CWD zones predated the Medina county breeder positives so don't know that its accurate to say they were as a result of breeder pressure.)

For obvious reasons live animal vectors are the most concerning since they are actively shedding prions.

Comment

Originally posted by Encinal View Post
                  As you no doubt know TAHC regulates movements of exotics, so blaming TPWD for that isn't exactly above board. Exotic susceptible species regs have improved, but there is obviously much still to do. Hunters are required to submit tests on the first 3? animals taken of a species per property, but compliance thus far has been sporadic at best.

The movement regs have been around for several years, since 2012 for the first zones in West Texas, and they are enforced. (as was pointed out the first CWD zones predated the Medina county breeder positives so don't know that its accurate to say they were as a result of breeder pressure.)

For obvious reasons live animal vectors are the most concerning since they are actively shedding prions.
                  TPWD could make one phone call and have TAHC working along with them. My point is its been handled like Covid and been political since day one.

Comment

Not real familiar with CWD, does it contaminate the meat where it can't be consumed buy humans or other animals?
                    Last edited by BowCrazy; 03-28-2021, 06:53 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by BowCrazy View Post
                      Not real familiar with CWD, does it contaminate the meat where it can't be consumed buy humans or other animals?
                      Not at all. Probably not a good idea to lick your knife clean after removing the head from the base of the neck though but even then not likely to hurt anything.

Comment

Originally posted by BowCrazy View Post
                        Prions have been found in meat, but the higher concentrations are in the spinal column and brain.

Comment

Guess it was so big I missed it

Comment

TPWD could make one phone call and have TAHC working along with them. My point is its been handled like Covid and been political since day one.

You spout a lot of opinion about this but what are your credentials that make you an expert? Or are you just another blow hard know it all?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by kyle1974 View Post
                              I’m getting nervous about the feed bill. We made another round of cottonseed in all the feed pens. This was a 1000 lb sack 8 days ago. [emoji51]

Oh man, don't you know deer congregating in the same area eating in close proximity is how CWD is spread. It's not natural. All that urine, saliva and poop. Shame on you.

Comment

Originally posted by gtsticker View Post
                                You spout a lot of opinion about this but what are your credentials that make you an expert? Or are you just another blow hard know it all?

I never said I was an expert and did not know I need credentials to post on this site. It seems it would be pretty easy to prove my opinion wrong. Yes its just an opinion but I feel pretty confident in what I've stated. You are more than welcome to research for yourself and join the conversation.

Comment

Working...
                                X