.357 Magnum / .38 spl question.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

.357 Magnum / .38 spl question.

I posed this ? the other day on here but I'm a bow guy, not a gun guy really, lol. Just want to be sure.

Are either (or both) of these ok for a Henry Lever action .357 Mag ?

.38 spl. Monarch Semi jkt HPs and PMC Semi wadcutters.

And if so, would they be effective on swine at 40-50 yds?

I know the Hornady Lever Evolutions are devastating on em but I'm bout out of those for both the .357 AND my .30-30.

I also have fmj steel case .38 spl but wont be running those through the Henry.

Thanks for any (more) advice.

D.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	20210225_215814.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	37.1 KB
ID:	25242952

Both should be fine in your rifle. The wadcutters may be a little slow for a 50 yards pig shot. Hollow points are probably a little faster and work better.

Comment

Yes

Comment

Check that the firing pin isn't piercing the primer. I had a cheap box of .38's and fired one shot in my .357 rifle, and stopped with that idea after I looked at the spent case.

Comment

Not just a dent ?

Originally posted by Jimbo47 View Post
          Check that the firing pin isn't piercing the primer. I had a cheap box of .38's and fired one shot in my .357 rifle, and stopped with that idea after I looked at the spent case.
          Actually punched through ?

Comment

The 38 Special 158 probably won't open at those low velocities, the semi wadcutters will cut a better hole. The wadcutters may not feed good thru your gun though.

Comment

The shorter 38 SPec ammo may not cycle as well as 357, but it's hard to say.

Comment

Never had a problem with 38’s cycling in my Marlin. The longer barrel will pick up a little velocity, and as long as you are careful with your shot placement, a pig at 59 should be a dead pig. It might run, but a 158gr LSWC shouldn’t have any problem getting into the vitals. At 50yds you are probably close enough to earhole them, and that will definitely drop em.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by txpitdog View Post
                  Never had a problem with 38’s cycling in my Marlin. The longer barrel will pick up a little velocity, and as long as you are careful with your shot placement, a pig at 59 should be a dead pig. It might run, but a 158gr LSWC shouldn’t have any problem getting into the vitals. At 50yds you are probably close enough to earhole them, and that will definitely drop em.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
                  I have had the same experience with my Marlin .357. No problem with .38Spl.

Comment

those will have different point of impact at 50 .. and i'd recommend to use whatever load can print a 2" group at 50 so you can shoot them between. the eye and ear .. i wouldn't shoulder shot them unless you like tracking .. if you're shooting without a can you'll get one shot and after that it won't have much chance of dropping them , just not enough shock energy on a less than perfect shot ... with all that said , i do it with a 22lr all the time and it's definitely doable .. also note you'll have to get the distance dialed in perfect as they also drop like a rock ... good luck and post some kill shots!

nice to see some people like a challenge and don't always use bazookas!

Comment

Challenge

Originally posted by imyomama View Post
                      those will have different point of impact at 50 .. and i'd recommend to use whatever load can print a 2" group at 50 so you can shoot them between. the eye and ear .. i wouldn't shoulder shot them unless you like tracking .. if you're shooting without a can you'll get one shot and after that it won't have much chance of dropping them , just not enough shock energy on a less than perfect shot ... with all that said , i do it with a 22lr all the time and it's definitely doable .. also note you'll have to get the distance dialed in perfect as they also drop like a rock ... good luck and post some kill shots!

nice to see some people like a challenge and don't always use bazookas!
                      It's a fun gun to hunt with. No scope, iron sights.

Comment

Working...
                      X