Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 10-28-2019, 10:00 PM   #51
DRT
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Jones County and Missouri

Ozone is an oxidant. It breaks down organics. Rubber being one of them. It will cause irritation of mucus membranes and eyes. It can cause death in higher concentrations. It is used in place of chlorine for the disinfection of water in treatment plants. It is destructive to many bacteria and viruses including cryptosporidium and giardia. In the concentrations used for the units run on batteries it is low volume and fairly low concentrate however it is still an irritant and can cause respiratory issues. Always use with a window open in a blind. In an open air situation the effectiveness will vary due to many factors including wind speed and swirling. Just like with a Thermacell.
DRT is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-28-2019, 10:02 PM   #52
DRT
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Jones County and Missouri

By the way the units used for treatment plants are the size of trucks and are most efficient when running with oxygen gas run through them. And they aren't using batteries.
DRT is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-29-2019, 08:37 AM   #53
Lynn21
Ten Point

Hunt In: Childress, Tx

Biggest scam ever. Hecs is 2nd. If you donít agree, too bad. This is my opinion and I ainít asking for anyone elseís.
Lynn21 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-29-2019, 09:04 AM   #54
dgilbert
Ten Point

Hunt In: Coke Co

Sent money back years ago for a refund, it did seem to make any difference. And yes I play the wind and scent free game.
dgilbert is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-29-2019, 09:11 AM   #55
az2tx
Pope & Young

They work if they are set up right and with a moderate fairly consistent wind.
Their are conditions where they don't work that well.
High winds
No wind
Swirling winds
They work better with a box blind than a round one or a tree stand.
A lot of people don't set them up right when they use them
az2tx is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-29-2019, 12:02 PM   #56
Geraldg6
Ten Point

Hunt In: Snook, Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by lglidewell View Post
Before you swear it off, let me try it, I may even give you some money for it.

https://images.app.goo.gl/nc8LbBwbt1j2g16L7

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Geraldg6 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-29-2019, 12:23 PM   #57
jshouse
Pope & Young

Hunt In: NE Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geraldg6 View Post
Got busted for the 3rd time in a row with the ozonics. Pretty confident there is no tricking a mature deer’s nose. Just wanted to vent a little about it.

a buddy of mine swears by it but has never had a mature buck in bow range, he always sends me pics of deer "downwind" and real close but its young deer every time. i let him be, and let him keep hunting bad winds since we hunt properties next to each other

barry, if you read this, i'm not talking about you, yours works great.
jshouse is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-29-2019, 12:43 PM   #58
Blitz
Six Point

Just because your busted, you can't assume its one thing or the other. Unless you can interview the deer (rolling my eyes), all you can do is assume.

Scent is only 1 factor. Noise and movement are others.

I use an ozonics machine from my treestand. Never been busted 1 time. As long as you set the machine up to waterfall the ozone (which is heavier than oxygen) between you and which ever direction the wind is blowing, your doing what your supposed to be doing.

I constantly hear "I hunt the wind". Well, what do you do when your in the stand and the wind changes? I constantly monitor the wind direction and will point my machine the appropriate way. Knowing how to properly operate something will go along way in obtaining success.
Blitz is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-29-2019, 01:10 PM   #59
jshouse
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitz View Post
Just because your busted, you can't assume its one thing or the other. Unless you can interview the deer (rolling my eyes), all you can do is assume.

Scent is only 1 factor. Noise and movement are others.

I use an ozonics machine from my treestand. Never been busted 1 time. As long as you set the machine up to waterfall the ozone (which is heavier than oxygen) between you and which ever direction the wind is blowing, your doing what your supposed to be doing.

I constantly hear "I hunt the wind". Well, what do you do when your in the stand and the wind changes? I constantly monitor the wind direction and will point my machine the appropriate way. Knowing how to properly operate something will go along way in obtaining success.
not calling you out, but have you killed any mature bucks since you've been using it? like i said above, my buddy could have killed truckloads of does and young bucks by now, but has yet to have a shooter in bow range in about 4 years of using it. and he has the ozone bag for his clothes and sprays down and all that too.

i agree on you cant always just "hunt the wind." where i am deer come from almost every direction, there really isnt a perfect wind, i hunt the good winds and hope for the best.
Old 10-29-2019, 02:10 PM   #60
az2tx
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by jshouse View Post
not calling you out, but have you killed any mature bucks since you've been using it? like i said above, my buddy could have killed truckloads of does and young bucks by now, but has yet to have a shooter in bow range in about 4 years of using it. and he has the ozone bag for his clothes and sprays down and all that too.

i agree on you cant always just "hunt the wind." where i am deer come from almost every direction, there really isnt a perfect wind, i hunt the good winds and hope for the best.
We've killed lots of bucks 5.5-8.5 yrs old 170'-200" dead down wind when conditions were right and the ozonics was used properly
Old 10-29-2019, 02:15 PM   #61
jjaimes
Ten Point

Hunt In: East Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by az2tx View Post
We've killed lots of bucks 5.5-8.5 yrs old 170'-200" dead down wind when conditions were right and the ozonics was used properly
I killed a huge Boar with my Ozonics running. The boar came completely down wind and even took off the first time he smelled the Ozone. He came back very spooky around 5 minutes later allowing me to pull off the shot. It was really hot that day and I was drenched in sweat. Fooling a mature boars nose made me a believer for sure!
jjaimes is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-29-2019, 02:26 PM   #62
Blitz
Six Point

Kinda like they say in sports. I can only play the teams on my schedule. I can’t make the deer come by my stand. I can only testify as to the ones that do.

I will say this with absolute certainty. Movement has busted me more than scent has. And you can take that to the bank baby. ������
Old 10-29-2019, 04:35 PM   #63
Spearchunker
Ten Point

Hunt In: Unit 7 KS, Fannin Co, Grayson Co

Quote:
us too, several in KS. We all us them.
Spearchunker is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-30-2019, 06:39 AM   #64
CAH2873
Four Point

Hunt In: Cherokee County, New Mexico, Colorado

I have been trying out the Wildgame Zero Trace. I have been using it for the last 7 days and the jury is still out on it.
I have been bowhunting for 30+ years and always washed my clothes in baking soda, showered before hunts, and used natural vegatation for cover up scents. Nowadays, I use Dead Down Wind soaps, sprays, and laundry detergent. I do not wear my clothes in the truck down to the farm- only get dressed once I get there and transport the clothes in a carbon lined bag. I have been trying all of the precautions.
We have an abundance of hogs. I think that a mature boar can smell better than a whitetail and I have been busted 3 times in the last couple of weeks.
I purchased 1 of these units- run it on 50%, and have had multiple hogs and deer all over me directly downwind within 5 + yards while still doing all of the precautions previously mentioned. Yesterday evening at dark getting out of the stand, I had a big sow nearly step on my bow when I lowered it down from the climbing stand. It takes me another minute or 2 to gather up m belongings and a group came right under me and was rooting around. I had to run them off when I got down.
Does it work??? I am skeptical about anything of this nature but it has seem to help me some with the downwind encounters.
CAH2873 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-30-2019, 08:58 AM   #65
trophy8
Pope & Young

Quote:

I killed my 165Ē deer this year. And will say I truly believe ozonics works. I saw way more deer from all directions. It died one morning and I had deer down wind that were calm while it was running. Once it died they were out pretty quick. Iíve had deer downwind well within bow range. Mature deer.

Kinda like scent spray. Does it work for sure? I donít know. But it raises your confidence haha. I really believe if I didnít have it I wouldnít have killed that deer.

I shot him on my 4th sit this season. It was money well spent.
trophy8 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-30-2019, 09:04 AM   #66
Landrover
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Wherever & Whenever

Lmaoooooooo!!!! I will keep mine and be happy to test yours out at NO cost!
Landrover is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-30-2019, 09:18 AM   #67
UrbanBuck
Eight Point

Hunt In: DCNF, SHNF, CROCKETT

if you say so, pigs are dumb AF, i repeatedly walk RIGHT up on them and the stupid thngs dont even know I am there.
UrbanBuck is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-30-2019, 09:27 AM   #68
jshouse
Pope & Young

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spearchunker View Post
us too, several in KS. We all us them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by trophy8 View Post
I killed my 165Ē deer this year. And will say I truly believe ozonics works. I saw way more deer from all directions. It died one morning and I had deer down wind that were calm while it was running. Once it died they were out pretty quick. Iíve had deer downwind well within bow range. Mature deer.

Kinda like scent spray. Does it work for sure? I donít know. But it raises your confidence haha. I really believe if I didnít have it I wouldnít have killed that deer.

I shot him on my 4th sit this season. It was money well spent.
i may break down one day and see if santa will bring me one. again, i use all the other stuff and take every precaution i can, not knowing if any of it works or not, the only difference with the ozonics is the cost for me. i can justify (to myself) spending $10 on a bottle of spray easier than i can $300 on ozonics.
Old 10-30-2019, 09:33 AM   #69
OldRiverRat
Ten Point

Hunt In: Navarro County

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjaimes View Post
I killed a huge Boar with my Ozonics running. The boar came completely down wind and even took off the first time he smelled the Ozone. He came back very spooky around 5 minutes later allowing me to pull off the shot. It was really hot that day and I was drenched in sweat. Fooling a mature boars nose made me a believer for sure!
this is the true test. Pigs will smell you way before a deer, especially a big boar or sow.
OldRiverRat is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-30-2019, 09:37 AM   #70
Smart
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Tom Green County

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldRiverRat View Post
this is the true test. Pigs will smell you way before a deer, especially a big boar or sow.

Yup....a pig may not be able to see you or hear you very well, but if a pig smells you, he gone...
Smart is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-30-2019, 09:43 AM   #71
az2tx
Pope & Young

Quote:
i may break down one day and see if santa will bring me one. again, i use all the other stuff and take every precaution i can, not knowing if any of it works or not, the only difference with the ozonics is the cost for me. i can justify (to myself) spending $10 on a bottle of spray easier than i can $300 on ozonics.
Thats funny I don't use any of that other stuff
Old 10-30-2019, 09:46 AM   #72
Smart
Pope & Young

Quote:

Watch the classifieds for used. I found one for $150....See them for $175-200 all the time.

Lotta folks selling their 200s to get the new 300s.
Old 10-30-2019, 09:49 AM   #73
jjaimes
Ten Point

Quote:
Thats funny I don't use any of that other stuff
Ever since I bought the Ozonics I don't neither lol.

I use that and the Scent Crusher bag and I've gotten 3 more hunting buddies hooked on those products after they saw results. Tried every scent spray on the planet and always got blowed at. The only one that worked a little was Buck Bomb Doe P. When I started using Scent Crusher in 2016 I've hardly ever been winded. I'm not saying it's 100% fool proof but I've seen more deer in the woods down wind for sure then before. I still hunt the wind and take all the precautions necessary but I don't even bother wasting money on Scent Sprays anymore.
Old 10-30-2019, 09:53 AM   #74
spro
Six Point

The only times Ozonics has not worked for me is when I forget to charge the dang battery and every time I just want to kick myself for forgetting.
spro is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-30-2019, 11:08 AM   #75
pigstika1978
Pope & Young

Hunt In: South tx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynn21 View Post
Biggest scam ever. Hecs is 2nd. If you donít agree, too bad. This is my opinion and I ainít asking for anyone elseís.

Yet no one asked for your opinion either
But here we are

pigstika1978 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-30-2019, 11:24 AM   #76
Smart
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigstika1978 View Post
But here we are

Hahahahahahaha......well played
Old 10-30-2019, 11:42 AM   #77
Blitz
Six Point

I sure hope that everyone who is saying it’s too expensive is either exclusively hunting public land or owns their own land. If you are on a lease and say it’s too much money, then you are the poster child for the word hypocrite.
Old 10-30-2019, 12:00 PM   #78
pigstika1978
Pope & Young

Hunt In: South tx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smart View Post
Hahahahahahaha......well played

pigstika1978 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-30-2019, 12:05 PM   #79
Landrover
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Wherever & Whenever
Talking

Quote:
But here we are

Sprite just flew everywhere!!!!
Landrover is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-30-2019, 12:07 PM   #80
Smart
Pope & Young

Quote:
I sure hope that everyone who is saying itís too expensive is either exclusively hunting public land or owns their own land. If you are on a lease and say itís too much money, then you are the poster child for the word hypocrite.

That's horse****.....every person is different with their finances....I own one and don't think that. You can't paint with a broad brush like that without knowing a person's financial situation...
Old 10-30-2019, 01:23 PM   #81
Blitz
Six Point

Quote:
That's horse****.....every person is different with their finances....I own one and don't think that. You can't paint with a broad brush like that without knowing a person's financial situation...
I sure can. Leases are stupid pricey compared to $300 for a machine. Iím not buying that logic. Iíll paint it on thick too. Donít tell me something is too expensive then turn around and spend thousands on a lease. Money canít be that tight in the budget if you can afford that. Just come out and say I donít want to buy one. But donít say I canít afford it. Iíll laugh at you till dawns early light.
Old 10-30-2019, 01:34 PM   #82
gingib
Pope & Young

Hunt In: NTX

coulda told you that. All a gimmic
gingib is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-30-2019, 02:12 PM   #83
jjaimes
Ten Point

Quote:
But here we are

Epic haha
Old 10-30-2019, 02:13 PM   #84
jshouse
Pope & Young

Quote:
I sure can. Leases are stupid pricey compared to $300 for a machine. Iím not buying that logic. Iíll paint it on thick too. Donít tell me something is too expensive then turn around and spend thousands on a lease. Money canít be that tight in the budget if you can afford that. Just come out and say I donít want to buy one. But donít say I canít afford it. Iíll laugh at you till dawns early light.
But I do want one. I just don't want to pay for it. I wish I could throw a bunch of money at a lease or ozonics but my kids play baseball, so my toys aren't really a priority right now.
Old 10-30-2019, 02:15 PM   #85
jshouse
Pope & Young

Quote:
I sure hope that everyone who is saying itís too expensive is either exclusively hunting public land or owns their own land. If you are on a lease and say itís too much money, then you are the poster child for the word hypocrite.
But I appreciate your concern for me and my situation
Old 10-30-2019, 02:28 PM   #86
Smart
Pope & Young

Quote:

I'm not even gonna waste my time.....even if I explained scenarios, you seem like the type that is too **** hardheaded to listen..
Old 10-30-2019, 02:54 PM   #87
sotx
Ten Point

Hunt In: McMullen County

Quote:
I'm not even gonna waste my time.....even if I explained scenarios, you seem like the type that is too **** hardheaded to listen..
"Oh man....you done it now! You are going to be called arrogant and a whole host of other names even though that was not the intent!

Shame Shame!!"

LMAO tag you're it
sotx is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-30-2019, 03:31 PM   #88
taylormade820
Ten Point

Hunt In: Grayson, Clay, Young county

I've always wondered about those.. they are too expensive for something that "might" work.
taylormade820 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-30-2019, 03:36 PM   #89
Buff
Pope & Young

Hunt In: The World

It works for me 60% so I keep using it
Buff is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-30-2019, 03:41 PM   #90
Smart
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by sotx View Post
"Oh man....you done it now! You are going to be called arrogant and a whole host of other names even though that was not the intent!

Shame Shame!!"

LMAO tag you're it

Old 10-30-2019, 04:38 PM   #91
Blitz
Six Point

Cheaper then other stuff lol
Old 10-30-2019, 05:43 PM   #92
Mexico
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Old Mexico, Centerville Tx

Quote:
Watch the classifieds for used. I found one for $150....See them for $175-200 all the time.

Lotta folks selling their 200s to get the new 300s.
Got that right.... them deer still usually hang around a bit even if they bust you, them pigs are out!
Mexico is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-30-2019, 05:55 PM   #93
Mexico
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Old Mexico, Centerville Tx

I shot this little guy down south a few years ago, Ozonics in my opinion made a huge factor. But obviously scent control and wind do too... 6x6 "161 7.5 yr old...

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
Mexico is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-30-2019, 06:12 PM   #94
Sika
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Hill Country and East TX

I feel it definitely helped me out this morning.

I've been hunting two hit list bucks all week and both of these bucks only go to this one particular stand. The stand is positioned due west of the feeder @ 20 yards. It's perfect for an easterly wind but we've had a NNW wind for a couple days which is not ideal. Normally, I wouldn't even hunt a stand in the wrong wind but with gun season quickly approaching and both bucks getting regular on camera, I felt I had to try.

A lot of the deer come up a road which runs north and south and a N/NW wind crosses that road.
I clamped the Ozonics to the top of the window that faces South and I positioned it so it would create a veil of ozone to catch my scent as it exited that window.

I had several deer cross directly downwind and mill around in the road and not a single one checked up. Everybody was completely calm. At 7:20 my target buck came in, from the South.
Our deer can get pretty spooky, especially when it's windy, and we have a lot of old blowing ***** does. I am pretty sure there's no way I could have gotten away with that wind at that stand without it.
Like I said earlier, in a swirling wind it doesn't seem to help at all.
Sika is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-30-2019, 06:14 PM   #95
Sika
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Hill Country and East TX

I did put it on boost mode, which the directions say you aren't supposed to do in a box blind but it had large windows so I figured ventilation wouldn't be a problem.
Not sure if boost mode helped or not.
Sika is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-30-2019, 06:15 PM   #96
jshouse
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buff View Post
It works for me 60% so I keep using it
60% of the time, it works everytime!
Old 10-30-2019, 06:30 PM   #97
roysmoke
Ten Point

Hunt In: Hill Country

This is how I set it up in my Krivoman blinds and it has been good to me. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GLws...ature=youtu.be
roysmoke is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-30-2019, 07:53 PM   #98
bk913
Eight Point

Hunt In: Tom Green county

Anyone have an opinion on if dipping in the blind effects your hunting? Common sense says it can’t help but would like someone to tell me differently
bk913 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-30-2019, 08:02 PM   #99
oktx
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Wise County

Quote:
Originally Posted by bk913 View Post
Anyone have an opinion on if dipping in the blind effects your hunting? Common sense says it canít help but would like someone to tell me differently
If they smell your snuff, they smell you.
oktx is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-31-2019, 09:41 AM   #100
az2tx
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sika View Post
I did put it on boost mode, which the directions say you aren't supposed to do in a box blind but it had large windows so I figured ventilation wouldn't be a problem.
Not sure if boost mode helped or not.
It probably helped, I've seen guys even use 2 ozonics when conditions were bad