Newbie Colorado hunting questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newbie Colorado hunting questions

Hello all... I’ve been looking into hunting elk in either New Mexico or Colorado and it looks like it’s nearly impossible to get a tag in NM so we are looking into CO now.

Newbie questions here on how the over the counter tags work. Never hunted anywhere but Texas so completely ignorant. I have read the Colorado fish and game site but I still am confused.

1. Can you purchase them online or does it have to be in person?
    2. When you buy a tag, is it for a specific unit and date? Or can you travel to different units while you’re there to find elk?
    3. If I’m reading it right is the license and tag a total of approximately 700$?
    4. Being new at this, is it better to bring a camper and try to get a campsite or to stay in town somewhere and drive in every day?

Please be gentle. Once again never hunter anywhere other than Texas and on private land.

1: you can buy a tag almost anywhere. Walmart’s included.
    2: OTC are certain OTC units. Leftovers are for certain units.
    3: somewhere around there
    4: camper near where you will Hunt will get you there faster.

Comment

There’s a phenomenal elk thread on here with a ton of info. We are looking at a 2021 2022 CO elk hunt.

Comment

OTC tag can be purchased online or anywhere. I believe to register hunters ed from texas you need to go in person the first time, but it has been numerous years.
        An OTC tag can be used in any of the OTC units, numerous units to choose from and you can go in and out of different ones as you please.
        OTC tags are about $500 for cow and $700 for either.
        OTC units can be tough and hunting from campsite camper will often leave you with a long walk morning and night to getvaway from other hunters. Late rifle can be a bit different but its tough in many other ways.

Keep the questions coming

Comment

Check the Elk thread on TBH.

Best to call the state’s fish and game dept and talk to somebody in customer service. When you’re paying $700 plus- your treated like a customer.

Fir example, Montana has OTC non-res tags, deadline to apply is 3/15. Lots of elk in OTC game units. Same in other states.

As far as logistics, drive your truck and camper, and then set up a tent camp where you’ll be hunting.

If Montana, carry bear spray and a large calibre handgun- they’re no laughing matter- we had 4 maulings 25 miles south of where I hunted this season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

The license + tag runs for a hair above $700. In terms of acquiring the OTC tag, Colorado only sells tags at their parks and wildlife locations if season is already open. If you purchase the tag before season opens, then it can be bought online.

Comment

If you’re hunting CO, they will not accept your out of state license as evidence of completing hunter education (general and archery seasons) or IBEF Bowhunter Ed (archery only). Be sure to have proof with you. If you get tags show it to a fish and wildlife office, you only need to do it once and they put it in their system. If you purchase at a sporting goods store, you need it every year.

Comment

My advice, find someone who will let you come with next fall. My first year, I read the prior year booklet CPW puts out, along with the current year. Got an understanding of exactly what my tag gets me. Joined several hunting pages to figure out odds, got onX to figure out where I could feasibly get to. The 2019 Colorado booklet would be where I would start.

Comment

Originally posted by tonytx View Post
                  The license + tag runs for a hair above $700. In terms of acquiring the OTC tag, Colorado only sells tags at their parks and wildlife locations if season is already open. If you purchase the tag before season opens, then it can be bought online.
                  You can buy after season starts anywhere they sell them . I’ve bought one at Walmart and the tag isn’t quiet 700 more like 670ish .

Comment

Thanks for the info everyone! I called the Colorado fish and game dept and got a lot of info. 2019 and 2020 books coming in the mail. Pretty sure we will be going to the pagosa springs area as that’s where my buddy goes every year.

Comment

Colorado in 2019 went the way of WA and some other out-of-state hunter unfriendly states, you now have to spend $80 on a small game license for the privilege of putting into the draw. On the (also bad news) other hand point inflation is off the charts to where you wouldn't be the first to get a kid's first point as a baby shower present.

I still like hunting there though.

Comment

Wait. So you CAN buy a kid preference points? I thought you had to be old enough to have a license to get points. I would start buying my kids points right now if I can.

Comment

If you are wanting to do a DIY elk hunt, you are on the right track with CO. NM doesn’t have preference points and otc tags are on private. In CO you now have to purchase a small game license and tags go up every year. In 2020, you will probably be looking at $790 all in. The books will be printed in early Feb. The unit question depends on means (archery, rifle, muzzleloader). I prefer muzzleloader (draw only) or archery (OTC) because of the September dates and potential rut alignment. 1st rifle is draw. DIY outside of the rut for a rookie is really tough. Elk hunting is really tough and when you step foot in this huge country you will likely be overwhelmed. I recommend late September archery hunts and sit on water deep inside public.

Comment

You can not buy kids points until they are twelve. Also if you are heading to the Pagosa area this fall that area will no longer be OTC for archery starting this year

Comment

We have been going for 4 years now, took the plunge with a lot of questions just like you.

Your welcome to call me and I’ll let you know what I know.... Stoof and Raleigh and Bob G can vouch it ain’t much [emoji51]

I’ve been nerding out for 4 years on areas, percentages, strategies, calls, ecology, gear and all that stuff and I can tell you time in the woods is the best teacher! Let’s get you up there doing it

If you can bring a smile and a positive attitude you’re welcome at our Campfire!

210 724 one 8 one 6

Comment

Working...
                              X