Fooling the White tail Nose

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by armadillophil View Post
    If you are hunting mature deer forget about it. You have to hunt wind and thermals.
    This ^^^^ I've tried it all and this is the only full proof way. I've fooled some younger deer but you can't fool the nose of a mature buck or a mature doe in my opinion. You might get lucky but it's the exception and not the rule.

Comment

For everyone saying, hunt the wind, I understand what you’re saying and I do that too. Where I hunt in west Texas I can get the wind right for the corn in front of me, but what about the 15 deer that are coming in from behind me?

I always get the wind right for the corn/trail, but where deer numbers are High and there isn’t a lot of terrain change to prevent deer movement certain ways, it’s really almost impossible to “play the wind,” due to the deer coming in from every direction.

Comment

I have a separate washer / dryer in my garage that only gets scent free detergent used in it for my camo. Towels and wash rags too. Back in the day I washed my camo in a tub outside and air dried them.

Making a cover scent from tree leaves and plants in your hunting area works well too.

If you use your wife's washer/drier thats had fragrance in it....you'll never be scent free.

Comment

I never had a deer smell me when I was 35' up in a tree.

Comment

Get on a high fenced ranch. Those deer don't care about smell.

On our place, each hunter maintains and hunts 2 locations. I think the deer are pretty used to our scent being in our areas over the years, but still try to hunt the right winds and be as scent free as possible. Still get busted from time to time, but that's just part of hunting.

Comment

Dead down wind clothes wash, scent spray and ozonics is a killer combo. I hunt with the wind blowing right to the deer and have yet to be busted using this method.

Comment

Originally posted by corps2010 View Post
                I'm in the group that believes you can't beat their nose if the wind is blowing at them and your bow hunting.... however, I shower a month in advance of season with scent killer shampoo/bodywash, wash all my clothes in scent killer, put them in a airtight tupperware box, use an ozonics, wear rubber boots with fox pee, get dressed in the field right before walking to the stand and bow hunt out of a fiberglass blind while keeping the windows closed until it's time to shoot. I know for a lot of people, that's taking it to the extreme, but I seem to have pretty decent luck with it in East Texas
                I'm still trying to figure out how showering a month ahead of time helps..lol

Comment

Wind and thermals. If thermals are right, you can hunt winds that aren’t favorable to the location.

Comment

Wind is your friend, IMO.

Comment

Buck candy with the corn on ground. And a light dust on me.

Comment

For the guys that have an odor problem you can try these pills.

Comment

Told a buddy this year to shrink wrap me!!

The wind don’t lie and then it’s that sixth sense you got to beat if the wind is in your favor.

Comment

Originally posted by crc View Post
                            Wind and thermals. If thermals are right, you can hunt winds that aren’t favorable to the location.
                            This^^^^ I believe the only way for them not to smell you is to make sure your scent doesn’t go their way.

Comment

Originally posted by Native Texan View Post
                              I never had a deer smell me when I was 35' up in a tree.
                              I used to think this way also.

Comment

I have it figured out and if you think they can’t smell you and wind is important, you can roll with that.

Comment

Working...
                                X