Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Best Dog trainers in Texas for Duck Hunting?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I know its a few week old thread but you would be doing your dog and yourself a favor to at least talk to Steve Biggers with Rocky Creek Retrievers in Brenham.

Steve is the best kind of folk as well

Comment

I've trained my three labs myself. The rewards are many. The joy of seeing your investment pay off is hard to describe.

Comment

Originally posted by pilar View Post
        I had a similar experience with peach ridge kennel
        But I don’t think he is in business anymore

I got strange bill from a vet I didn’t know and called them about the invoice and was told the dog had a severe eye injury
        Drove over to ask about what had happened and found the dog locked up inside a travel crate covered in urine and fecal Days old
        And dog with a ripped open eye lid , and no trainer to be found
        So I busted her out of jail and took her to my veterinarian
        Saved her eye, “ trainer had used a fiberglass cb antenna on her “
        Shoulda stuck around and handed him an @$$ whoopin!

Comment

Originally posted by Hunterlo70 View Post
          Yeah, I totally agree. We both still have A LOT to learn and I understand that most people will not have the time or location to train. I am fortunate that I have time and the space to do so. We only hunt weekends and some weekdays if I take the day off from work to do so. It is definitely hard work as we do this every single day.. rain or shine but I've really enjoyed the experience and am looking forward to next season after this weekend comes to an end.

If you can, train them yourself. It's quite rewarding. Thanks for your input Lungbustr. I enjoyed reading it.

I'm willing to bet you start taking more days off. A dog that you train will get you to hunt so much harder to ensure you really make the dog.

We have 150 retrieves on a 9 month old dog. Then put 620 retrieves this year on a dog that isnt even 2 yet.
          When you hunt them like that they have no choice but to be excellent dogs.

I've seen the older dog make many very long retrieves on cripples and blind retrieves. In the 200 to 500 yard range. Verified by rangefinder, google earth etc.

Hold to their discipline and training in the field. Dont let them get sloppy and get away with stuff on hunts. It will pay off big.

A lot of people let them slide on hunts in the heat of the moment because it is the easy thing to do. But remember it's all shaping the dog just as much or more than the training is.

Comment

Originally posted by popo1984 View Post
            Horizon kennels in sealy.
            I'll second that. Brian is very good.

Comment

Working...
            X