Wader selection help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wader selection help

I got invited to go on a duck hunt in 2 weeks. It’s going to be in the marsh is all I know.
    Is there a style & brand y’all recommend? All I currently have is a thin pair I used once for wade fishing in the late spring.

I don’t want to freeze, but don’t care to sweat my nards off either.

Thanks for any help y’all can provide.

I bought a pair of Simms probably 12 years ago. I have used them at the coast, lake, mountains, streams and boonie crashing to fish. They aren't cheap but my Hodgemans did not last a season.

Comment

Awesome thanks is neoprene necessary?

Comment

I wear a wool base layer and wool socks. I was fishing in 15 degree temps last month in WY. I dont think you will need the neoprene.

Comment

Your thin ones should work, just dress warm under them.

I recommend camo waders, but in the cover of a blind it may not matter.

Stocking foot waders navigate the marsh muck much better than the boot foot ones.

Comment

As long as it’s just going to be a short term use I wouldn’t drop the $300-600 bucks on Simms. If your hunting north of Houston or are very cold natured I’d buy a pair of neoprene. If you can handle the cold, and are doing a lot of walking a $100 pair of breathable Magellan’s from academy will work just fine.

Jason Slocum

Comment

You are probably good with the ones you already have as long as they don’t leak and I would definitely check prior to using them. There’s no telling what the weather will be like in to weeks but the ability to layer should cover most weather we have. If you decide to go new I’d look at the Magellan at academy, they have some breathable non-insulated that I’ve been wearing and have been really happy with.

Comment

Cabelas Northern flight always have given me good mileage and kept my feet warm. Not too expensive either.

Comment

Use the breathables you have and wear layers underneath. I’ve hunted single digits standing in a tank that had ice with good wool socks and long underwear underneath my breathables. You don’t need camo. Buy Simms if you get hooked. Good luck.

Comment

If you are only looking at going on one trip, then Academy's Magellan will work and are descent for the money. If you are looking for a pair that you can fish in or hunt in down the road then look at Frogg Toggs Refugee 2.0 with the removable liner. Roger's has an exact copy of the Frogg Toggs that are on sale from time to time.

Comment

Frogg Togg Hellbenders
                      stocking foot waders and wear a pair of rayguard boots with them

you can thank me later
                      Last edited by K. Lane; 12-18-2019, 07:37 AM.

Comment

I've got a pair of breathable boot waders from Drake. They have a removable, velcro insulation piece inside, which I really like. With the waterproof pocket layout and high hand warming pocket, they are the most thought out hunting wader out there in my opinion.

Comment

Just use your thin ones and wear thermal underwear with maybe fishing pants over the thermals. Also wear a good pair of insulated socks. I have done that a lot up here fly fishing during the winter months and it works just fine.

Comment

If you’re hunting the coast you’re best bet would be a stocking foot, breathable pair of waders. The boot footed ones are a pain in the marsh.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

As long has yours don't leak just wear what you have and base layer accordingly

Comment

Working...
                              X