This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by GoneSouth View Post
    Ask woodsman how that shot went for him...
    You boys need to lay off his ***.

Like y’all have never wounded an animal or made a poor shot. It’s his decision. Not yours. It was legal. There’s a ton of folks on here that wouldn’t even shoot at a deer that’s broadside with a bow. It’s evident with all the tracking dog threads amongst other things. But those guys get full support. Rightfully so.

The guy made a poor shot choice. It ended badly. No need to keep kicking the man when he’s down.

Comment

Originally posted by trophy8 View Post
      https://youtu.be/wrWYuh_s1RQ

Just gonna leave this here.
      I’m just gonna leave this here

Comment

Gonesouth how close do you hunt to hag?

Comment

Woodsman, i applaud your efforts to find your deer and your restraint responding to the trolls. i sincerely doubt said trolls would stop hunting if the shoe was on the other foot.

Comment

Originally posted by Tex View Post
            Once again I’m not bashing him for taking the shot. Personally I wouldn’t go after another buck unless I had proof that the one I shot was alive and well. All the signs that were presented to me leads me to believe he may be dead.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This was my thoughts as well. Not sure how you go to bed expecting buzzards to find it the next day. Then look at your arrow through binos from your stand and decide deer is fine. The description from the shot was that it stopped in a short distance, was “gushing blood” and laboring to breath. Bedded at 150 yards but bumped over a fence by the hunter. Was still on blood at the fence crossing and land owner says If it died on his side of fence it was likely that buzzards would find it and he would return it to the hunter. Next buck walks out and all that was out the window. Anyhow, to each their own and it will be my last post on the subject. Will be interesting to see if the buck shows up dead and landowner calls.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by woodsman View Post
              Well at this point what’s the question? I’ve stated 3x that I took a frontal shot.

The shot I took is a deadly shot, just not the highest percentage one. Everybody knows that. I’m gonna study up their anatomy before I ever think about taking that shot again. Maybe I’ll never try it again, I don’t know. What more can I say.

If it makes everyone feel better, I just missed an opportunity at first light on a nice 8 pt at 7-8 yards because I was so sick about yesterday and almost didn’t make the drive to hunt this morning. Got in a little late and couldn’t get hooked up fast enough. I’m being punished.

Sorry if I sound a little hacked, I just don’t believe that’s a serious question. Sounds like a point is being made, and if so, point taken.
              I didn't catch that you said it earlier in the thread, the TV guys get away with this shot they just don't show you the 10 they lost when taking it. Thats what I like about the meat eater show, you see the good and the bad.

Comment

Originally posted by perow View Post
                Gonesouth how close do you hunt to hag?
                What does that have to do with taking a low percentage shot? Does the percentage go up the closer I am to the hag?

Comment

Originally posted by boomerball View Post
                  lit was left out there a while back. I found it on the hog hunt in the spring...
                  its still there

Comment

What does that have to do with taking a low percentage shot? Does the percentage go up the closer I am to the hag?
                    Just curious

I have asked others and no one can answer me yet but what makes a frontal shot non-lethal or low percentage shot? I have seen 2-3 people post trail cam pics of deer that have been shot broadside and still kicking around

Comment

Originally posted by woodsman View Post
                      Okay last post on this issue, this is getting ridiculous. Obviously I can only tag one deer. I made every effort to recover him, I would think that’s pretty clear by now, but maybe I assume too much from some here. Feds, state, landowner—all involved. I spent nearly 5 hours on my hands and knees looking for blood. I now have further evidence that the deer is fine.

In the unlikely event that I 1) kill a buck today, and then 2) landowner finds previous buck (not going to happen now), what do YOU think the legal & moral thing to do is? It’s pretty clear to me.

I hope this response pleases the court. I think this issue is closed. If anyone has further hypothetical questions about whether I’m going to follow the law, please feel free to PM me I guess.

Anybody seeing anything any movement?
                      You weren't the first this year to take a rushed shot on a big mature buck there this year, I wish people would remember their IBEP training on good shot angles, thats why they require you've taken bowhunter ed for this hunt.

Comment

Originally posted by bossbowman View Post
                        its still there
                        It should be in the Hag hall of fame

Comment

This threads got more armchair quarterbacks than ESPN.

Comment

Originally posted by Drake05 View Post
                            Why is everyone sugercoating it? He drew blood so thats his deer. Lesson learned on being patient and taking a better shot. Trying to make yourself feel better because u dont think u got penetration isnt right. That deer could die easily from infection or any number of reasons. Im not trying to be rude but when I draw blood im done no matter if I find the deer or not. If people each wound 4 deer a year because they keep hunting after not finding a deer we wont have anything left to hunt! Sorry rant over. Good luck to the hunters out there.

Comment

Originally posted by perow View Post
                              Just curious

I have asked others and no one can answer me yet but what makes a frontal shot non-lethal or low percentage shot? I have seen 2-3 people post trail cam pics of deer that have been shot broadside and still kicking around
                              It’s not the odds of lethality, as much as it is odds of recovery. Most deer shot in th vitals broadside will be recovered, most deer shot from the front will not. It’s not a question about wether or not the shot will kill him, it’s can you find him after.

Comment

It’s not the odds of lethality, as much as it is odds of recovery. Most deer shot in th vitals broadside will be recovered, most deer shot from the front will not. It’s not a question about wether or not the shot will kill him, it’s can you find him after.

Most? Most?? You sound awful confident in those “statistics”... please re-read your quoted post. Think about it... And maybe don’t post again in this thread. Probably best for all.

I do like the comparison of someone shooting a turkey with their bow to a frontal shot in a whitetail. Both have smaller lethal shot areas than a broadside deer, for example. Would y’all use a bow on a turkey? I have. Didn’t recover at least one either... [emoji33] But I’ve killed a bunch of them

In the heat of the moment on public land it’s an understandable shot IMO. Maybe not for everyone, but public hunting in general is tough and oftentimes you don’t get many chances - or any (ask most of the hunters that were out there this wknd).

Thanks for taking us along hunters! For the neighboring private land lessees, I promise there are plenty of bucks to go around. [emoji41]

Comment

Working...
                                X