Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by LWC View Post
    Glad you got the tag. NR odds have gotten considerably worse since 2010
    Yup. I got lucky and drew a less desirable tag last year. A tag every 10 years is actually not bad. My brother has been putting in for 16 years and still has not drawn.

Comment

First year putting in for NM Elk. Second year elk hunting. Crossing my fingers!

Comment

Good luck. We are in SW Montana near Dillon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

year 8 for the NM tithe on my end. Still waiting to draw, but most of it is my fault for putting into premium units only. I guess I have about a month to find out if this year is the year......

Comment

Originally posted by BuckSmasher View Post
            Y'all talked me in to it.

Hopefully I reference this post after the draw to brag about my Valles Caldera Elk Tag and Florida Mountains Rifle Ibex!
            These are once in a lifetime tags........which even residents never get the opportunity to have. If these are the same tags you have been applying to for the past 10 years, you have nothing to complain about!!!

Comment

Originally posted by NMStickFlinger3 View Post
              These are once in a lifetime tags........which even residents never get the opportunity to have. If these are the same tags you have been applying to for the past 10 years, you have nothing to complain about!!!
              I have tried it all. Over a decade ago i used to apply for first archery tags in 51, 52, 45, 34, 36 so on and so on. Tried for all the 'good opportunity hunt' units with archery. No tags.

Now then for me to leave Idaho, with tons of opportunity hunts, some within a few miles of my house, for the cost of a $35 tag, I want it to be a slam bang good hunt if i am gonna drive down there.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by armadillophil View Post
                I drew archery Unit 34 in 2018. Hoping for a repeat!!
                That’s one I’m trying to draw this year. My first time applying for a western hunt!

Comment

Originally posted by wytex View Post
                  If the 90/10 proposal passes then more General elk tags will be in the draw for NR and less LQ.
                  That 7-8 PP area may well go to 10+ to draw.
                  Next year will be telling for NR and our elk draw.

We may well end up with say 1,000 more NR general elk hunters across the state. That may well lead to us hunting wilderness areas for the first time to get away from the increased pressure, or we may draw that good LQ tag easier.
                  When will we know about the 90/10 split? Seems stupid for Wyoming. Will lose non resident hunters unless pronghorn and mule deer have a minimum number of tags also. And since we pay their bills they need to stop crapping on us.

Comment

Originally posted by Bill View Post
                    Good luck. We are in SW Montana near Dillon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                    We should be in a good position. Our tags are general, not special permit. Our outfitter typically only runs spike camps, but he's going to do a fully guided hunt. He's been hunting the area for 25yrs and we've got 8 days of hunting starting with opening day on the 15th of Sep. Should be a heck of a trip. Montana is one of the most beautiful places I've been. On that summer trip, we rode 80 miles on horseback through the back country. It was a dream and I can't wait to return.

Comment

Originally posted by Etxnoodler View Post
                      When will we know about the 90/10 split? Seems stupid for Wyoming. Will lose non resident hunters unless pronghorn and mule deer have a minimum number of tags also. And since we pay their bills they need to stop crapping on us.
                      There have been miles written about this proposal.
                      Residents want more LQ tags and especially for moose and sheep.
                      The Wildlife Task force is working on a new proposal now for next year.

I bet Wyoming does not loose any NR hunters over it but it will affect those that have been building PP for some species.
                      Right now every license not drawn in resident draw for deer and pronghorn get put in NR draw, that is one thing residents want changed. Right now NR get a majority of our pronghorn tags, not a set quota. Residents want a set quota before the leftover draw.

Numbers have been run and WG&F can make up any revenue losses with license increases.

By the way the Wyoming Outfitters Association is pushing for huge price increases for elk tags in Wyoming. They are not your friend on this.

I'm on the fence. Yes, I'm all for residents getting more sheep and moose tags and LQ elk tags. I also have been in favor of under allocated licenses going right into the leftover pool and not to NR.
                      I am not in favor of the huge NR price increase but do support a resident price increase.

Just watch, Colorado will be making changes as well. Your OTC tags may be in jeopardy in the near future according to talk going around up here.

Sadly it is pitting residents against NR. We just want a larger share of our licenses but NR have financial investments in our PP system and they need to be taken care of.

Comment

How is in non residents fault that residents dont pply for all of their tags? They want to be able to buy 3 leftover tags before non residents get a chance at one. Which the way western states are going I hope they aren’t surprised when nobody shows up to help them when they are in need. I like supporting wyomimg but they are starting to make it hard.

Comment

Originally posted by BuckSmasher View Post
                          How many years have you been a resident? I would have thought that as a NM resident you could have a pretty good (maybe not premium) elk tag every year correct?

Absolutely not the case. Even for residents the draw odds for most of the top tier elk units is <10%.

Comment

How is in non residents fault that residents dont pply for all of their tags? They want to be able to buy 3 leftover tags before non residents get a chance at one. Which the way western states are going I hope they aren’t surprised when nobody shows up to help them when they are in need. I like supporting wyomimg but they are starting to make it hard.
                            We want you to have a hard quota, that is all. Maybe have access to extra tags in the leftover draw . No one is saying no licenses for NR except you.
                            Apps are up every year, we will not hurt if this passes but thanks for your concern.

Comment

Originally posted by wytex View Post
                              We want you to have a hard quota, that is all. Maybe have access to extra tags in the leftover draw . No one is saying no licenses for NR except you.
                              Apps are up every year, we will not hurt if this passes but thanks for your concern.
                              Truth of the matter is license fees for residents AND non-residents could go up significantly across the board for residents and nonresidents and that would solve a bunch of issues right away.

Comment

They won't lose NR's, they're issuing the same number of tags but the rest will be going into General instead of LQ. That way the revenue doesn't drop.

It's tough for any of the Western states to manage the hunting, the demand is constantly going up and everybody is vying for more opportunity. It's really a no win game for all involved unless Bill Gates gets his way and knocks the world's population in half. When my kids are my age I'm expecting the common man to be priced out or an Elk hunt will be a once in 20 years type of thing.

Comment

Working...
                                X