Any BDC reticle fans?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Any BDC reticle fans?

With advances in technology and computing ballistics I’m starting to see a value in the BDC reticle for hunting purposes. Burris, Nikon, etc are all making Ballistic calculators that tell you exactly what each hold over represents at various magnifications with your load. Now this isn’t ideal for precision target shooting but for hunting rifles out to 4-500 yards it appears to be pretty effective.

Curious what the GS thoughts are?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I use to have a .257 wby mag that has a Nikon Monarch with the BDC reticle (I have since given the rifle/scope to my oldest son) When I hunted with it, I had the Nikkon Spot On app downloaded and used it quite a bit. I really liked it and it was very **** accurate when it came to eliminating holdovers on longer shots. Very very acuurate as a matter of fact.
    Cannot testify about Burris, But loved the bdc in Nikon

Comment

Check out this video. He's a fan.

I like Swarovski's scope/app combo

Comment

Get a turret, range, adjust, hold at zero, squeeze the trigger

Comment

Originally posted by jason86 View Post
          Thank you for the insight! I actually have several set-ups that fit your suggestion.

Comment

I have a Nikon on my tc encore muzzleloader. its **** accurate out to 250 yards.

Comment

yep I like it made a 390 yard shot on a pig with the spot on advantage.

Comment

I would verify that the program was accurate with actual shooting, but other than that when i have used them they worked nice. This was shooting steel at three gun, but same concept. No time to dial just use the correct mark an pull the trigger

Comment

I have two of them. The only issue I have come across is the circle for the holdover is tiny up close but at distance, sometimes can take up a significant portion of the animals vitals. If you shoot distance like this often (400 yards and above) you can learn where the circle should be in relation to the shoulder to get a good shot but it takes some practice.

Comment

Originally posted by jason86 View Post
                    so you're not a fan?

Comment

I use the Zeiss Rapid Z on my mountain rifle and am pretty impressed.
                      It's another way to skin the cat that works just fine.

Comment

As a person who has been doing freelance work with Nikon for almost 10 years I have seen the evolution of Nikon's BDC reticle scopes and the advent of Spot On. The first time I dropped a deer with my .300 Win using a BDC reticle preSpot On days I was sold. I never did give that scope back! I said sorry, I'm keeping it, send me a bill. Next thing you know I'm doing shooting events and trade shows with Nikon. Lots of fun times and showing guys how to dial in whatever they are shooting and then watch them hit a soda can at 600 yards is a great selling point. Even choosing MOA/MRAD reticle scopes you can still get holdovers for them off Spot On. I'm sure it's a reason you may see fewer new BDC scopes come out. It certainly works and if I can teach my 82 year old father in law to use it any one can do it.

Comment

For hunting they’re perfect.
                          Tested my Nikon with I-Sterlok app. Perfect hits out to 700 yards using a .223 Wylde and custom hand loads.

Comment

I think they're great for average hunting conditions. It allows you to zero at 100 for popping eyeballs but have an accurate hold over measurement for extending your range.

Two of my 3 VX6's have TMOA reticles, as even with good turrets it's nice to have the reticle for a quick shot.

Years back I had a few Nikons and while the cross hairs were a bit heavy imo I really liked the BDC circles. With testing you may find your load likes the top, bottom or center of the circle. They're ballistic software works really well to boot.

Comment

Originally posted by kruppa24 View Post
                              I have a Nikon on my tc encore muzzleloader. its **** accurate out to 250 yards.

^^^this

Just used my MZ at 150 yds using my BDC reticle & dropped a nice buck

I’m accurate to 200 yards

Comment

Working...
                              X