28 gauges

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by johnpaul View Post
    With bismuth shotshells making a comeback at relatively affordable prices, the possibilities are endless with the 28 gauge. They kind of disappeared when hevi shot started making 28 gauge ammo but now Kent, Rio, and Boss (coming soon) are all making 28 gauge bismuth loads. I just spent a week shooting cranes in the panhandle with #5 rio bismuth and had no problem rolling them out to 45 yards!

I had a couple herniated discs in my neck this past spring and it was suggested by a doctor friend that I cut back on recoil so I decided I was going to go all 28 gauge this year. After seeing how well it performed on cranes I honestly don't see any reason to ever pick up a 12 gauge again.
    20+ years ago I took a guy duck hunting that was shooting a 28 o/u with bismuth handloads. Myself and the other guy with us were shooting 20 o/u's with 3 inch steel loads, he outshot us 2/1. After he put the whooping on us he went into a theoretical lecture on how only the 12 and the 28 have what he called "true" patterns and that the 20 shoots a "bastar**" pattern, shortly thereafter I bought my first 28... I've never researched his theory but it had something to do with the volume of shot in relation to the diameter of the barrel and the density and diameter of the pattern at a specified distance (obviously the 28 is not as dense but it has the same diameter as the 12). May not be scientifically exact (although the guy is a heart surgeon) but I do know that I personally do not shoot a 20 as well as I do the other two.

Comment

Originally posted by Ag 96 View Post
      Another reason is that some landowners don’t like a bunch of hulls left on the ground. I know of an old man who insists on o/u or sxs for that reason. Of course, he also won’t let you on his place if you bring bottled beer because he’s worried the caps will be thrown on the ground.

He has some issues.
      Had the same ordeal in Crystal City, we did not know some of the folks on the far end of a field and they trashed the place. They were asked to leave that evening.

I have been looking at 28 ga for a while. I like the 26" barrel over the 28". Just aint talked myself into dropping the coin on one yet.

Comment

Originally posted by rvd View Post
        20+ years ago I took a guy duck hunting that was shooting a 28 o/u with bismuth handloads. Myself and the other guy with us were shooting 20 o/u's with 3 inch steel loads, he outshot us 2/1. After he put the whooping on us he went into a theoretical lecture on how only the 12 and the 28 have what he called "true" patterns and that the 20 shoots a "bastar**" pattern, shortly thereafter I bought my first 28... I've never researched his theory but it had something to do with the volume of shot in relation to the diameter of the barrel and the density and diameter of the pattern at a specified distance (obviously the 28 is not as dense but it has the same diameter as the 12). May not be scientifically exact (although the guy is a heart surgeon) but I do know that I personally do not shoot a 20 as well as I do the other two.
        Bismuth is a huge advantage over steel. You can choke it tight as hell and it holds a pattern very well at long distances. I shoot bismuth through a full choke. I am not exaggerating when I say I will take bismuth #5's out of a full choked 28 gauge over any 3" 12 gauge steel load. I've shot a ton of hevi shot out of 28 gauges also and after shooting roughly 1 case of bismuth this year I think I like it more than the hevi shot. With bismuth shotshells at 1/3 of the cost of hevi shot I think hevi shot is going to see a big decrease in their sub gauge ammo sales soon.

Comment

thanks guys.

I am starting to lean towards an O/U. Even though i really like the Beretta A400. I just don't want to mess with finding shells while running and gunning upland birds.

I really like "hunting guns" i've never been a fan of bright shiny guns or felt the need to show a gun off. I'm hard on gear and really can't justify spending $2k plus on an upper end O/U that i know will get dinged and beat up.

The Beretta silver pigeon doesn't fit me, plus its silver receiver is a turn off for me.

The SKB 690 is silver is well, SKB has a 590 field, but doesn't look like its made in 28

I like the looks of the Rizzini BR110, just need to find a dealer that has one in stock to see how it feels/fits. yes its about a $2k gun but i don't mind spending the money if its the "gun" that fits me best and feels best.

The CZ drake is an option as well. Can you tell me more about the gun Swift?

Anyone have any experience with the Stevens 555 28 gauge, F.A.I.R. Pathos, or the IFG/F.A.I.R SLX 600 De Luxe Black?

Comment

Originally posted by CTR0022 View Post
            thanks guys.

I am starting to lean towards an O/U. Even though i really like the Beretta A400. I just don't want to mess with finding shells while running and gunning upland birds.

I really like "hunting guns" i've never been a fan of bright shiny guns or felt the need to show a gun off. I'm hard on gear and really can't justify spending $2k plus on an upper end O/U that i know will get dinged and beat up.

The Beretta silver pigeon doesn't fit me, plus its silver receiver is a turn off for me.

The SKB 690 is silver is well, SKB has a 590 field, but doesn't look like its made in 28

I like the looks of the Rizzini BR110, just need to find a dealer that has one in stock to see how it feels/fits. yes its about a $2k gun but i don't mind spending the money if its the "gun" that fits me best and feels best.

Anyone have any experience with the Stevens 555 28 gauge, F.A.I.R. Pathos, or the IFG/F.A.I.R SLX 600 De Luxe Black?
            Bought a Yildiz 28 from academy 4 years ago. Paid something like $400 out the door with a case of shells and a kick pad. Kick pad corrected the lop just right and the gun shoots where i look. With the aloy reciever its an awesome upland gun and has quickly become my favorite shotgun. I hunt everything with it from doves to cranes. The rio bismuth has made much of this possible as #6 steel is marginal at best on big ducks across a stock tank. It,ll kill right there at the decoys but the bismuth shot has extended my effective lethal range and improved my confidence in the round and gun.

Comment

thanks guys.

You might be the first person that I have ever heard say a silver receiver is a turnoff for them....

Look at the Franchi Instinct L....Its a blue receiver.

Comment

Not a fan of the blue either. Would it be wrong cerakote it black?

Comment

IMO, CZ makes the nicest "economy"shotgun on the market. I think they are made in Turkey, but I'm not sure. As I said earlier, I have an SKB (probably worth $1,500) and a Winchester 101 pigeon grade (worth a lot) and I feel like the CZs compare to the SKB, but they are not as nice as the 101.

If I was in the market for an O/U 28 gauge in the sub $1,000 range, they would be the first I would look at.

BTW, they also make a nice looking SxS called the Sharp-Tail.

thanks guys.

Last edited by 220swift; 11-19-2018, 02:26 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by JeffJ View Post
                    Ive got a Silver Pigeon 28 that I love. Havent shot another gun since I got it. Looking at getting his little brother(.410) soon.
                    I have this in a 20/28ga combo set. Really wanted a .410 bore in this as well, but ran across a deal on a Franchi Instinct L in .410 bore I couldn’t pass up.

Shoot everything with the 28ga., dove, quail, Sandhills cranes, etc. Plan on doing so with the .410 as well.

I wish I could find a sub-gauge shotgun with a synthetic stock/forearm. I would use it for ducks and geese as well if I could find one. I have been looking for multiple years and no dice.
                    Last edited by Greenheadless; 11-19-2018, 02:58 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by rvd View Post
                      You heart surgeon friend knows what he is talking about

Comment

Gunna go look at a franchi instinct L, of it fits I'll be getting it. Thanks for the help everyone.

Comment

I have a Stevens 555 28 gauge. Wonderful o/u screw in chokes and only about $500 When I bought mine.

Comment

Other than bismuth and Rio, what shells does everyone like?

Comment

well i finally found a franchi instinct L to put my hands. I liked it more than the Beretta silver pigeon but still wasn't in love with it. I still want to check out the CZ drake, CZ supreme fieldand Rizzini BR110. biggest issue is finding dealers that carry these guns. the hunt continues.

Comment

Silver pigeon 28 is my go to for dove.

Comment

Working...
                                X