No announcement yet.

How much to butcher a cow?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

For years we just took a steer out of field and had it done. Last few I either purchase show steer through my business then fed a month or so more in case any meds , calm down from show etc. last one I did was just one of my steer I fed a few months. No comparison. Will never just take one without being fed out again- wife wouldn't let me either - she even sees and taste huge diff

Comment

Originally posted by Txjourneyman View Post
      Ok. Well, I was asking because I have no idea what kind of costs are involved. Just curious to see if I would come out ahead
      raising my own beef. I thonk the answer I s no.
      You need to do it once, at least. You won't believe the quality and taste difference in it and store bought meat. We do it every year and split it with a friend.

Comment

Processing meat comes out between $4-$5 per pound for me. That includes the price the calf would bring through the auction barn. That cost is for hamburger, steaks etc...
        I use to feed them out the last 3-4 weeks and yes it does provide the marbling. Not a bad thing, just depends on how you like your meat. We really like our meat lean so now they just get what the cows get until I haul them in.

As far being tough, I use to sell them to friends with a guarantee that if they were tough, didn't taste good, or anything else, I would buy them back no questions asked.

There is a rpoblem though. Once you eat a home raised beef, it will make it really difficult to be satified with anything out of a store.

Comment

OK! We will get one calf put it to pasture for 4-5 months and then feed out for a month.

Comment

Just found my receipt last night from the last steer we butchered.

Kill fee was $45 and the processing was $.65/lb @ 707lb hanging weight.

Comment

Originally posted by JeffJ View Post
              Just found my receipt last night from the last steer we butchered.

Kill fee was $45 and the processing was $.65/lb @ 707lb hanging weight.
              Good info. Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle Doug View Post
                It will depend on the hanging weight of the calf. Call a local packer to get the current prices. We have had several done over the years.
                The best weight to do it is to raise 2-3 calfs and sell 1-2 to cover the processing and feed for both,

Just don't let the kids give them names or you will end up selling all of them and buying a side of beef.
                Definatly don't let them name them (I was the kid that named mine). Grass with grain finsihing produces the best tasting meat, IMO.

Comment

I just had a 1200lb bull done a month ago at Teals in Weatherford cost me $387.

Comment

What’s the current going rate? Thinking about buying a steer for $1/lb and splitting it with a friend. Trying to see if it’s a significant savings or not. Thanks.
                    Last edited by LFD2037; 11-09-2018, 05:13 PM.

Comment

Check out Santa Anna Processing for 1/2 a side of beef before you purchase a calf. They cut it up how ever you want.

Comment

I gotta question Greg. If ya have your "lawn mower" processed, what'd ya gonna do to keep the grass down after that? Can you eat a whole calf in a years time?

I know I can eat 4 deer in a years time.

Comment

Really depends on your location. This is 5 yr old thread. Auction barn prices are above $1/#. PM sent.

Comment

Updated prices

Any updated prices on processing a 1400 lb steer north of Dallas area

Comment

Feed it right and it'll be the best beef you ever eat.

Comment

Originally posted by Rather_B_Fishin View Post
                                At the house our packin house charges .65 a pound hanging weight with a $30 kill fee.
                                This is about what I pay ..

Comment

Working...
                                X