Nervous before shooting?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nervous before shooting?

Do y’all get nervous before pulling the trigger?

As for me, I always get super super shaky every time I am thinking of piling the trigger, and just seeing a deer. I can say that I got super shaking while mule deer hunting last weekend, and resulting having 2 missed shots at 30 yards.
    A lot of times it gets so out of control that I just rather to not take the shot.

I mostly try to take deep breaths, and try to think of something else. But that doesn’t really help trying to control my body from the heavy shaking of nervousness.

How did you overcome the nervous of super shaking?

Long ago I did but not in years. Everyone is different

Comment

Try to focus on shot placement and just focus on that spot. Also try walking though your routine like you would at home.

Hope this helps.

Comment

Ive been bow hunting since I was 15 years old and never once have I had buck fever with a bow in hand. I believe it is because I am thinking about all of the other stuff I need to do to get a shot off. You would think being so close to a deer would be even more reason for buck fever to set in but it doesnt. Put me in a deer blind with a rifle and it is an entirely different thing. I will start shaking really bad sometimes and at least a little bit most of the time. I have to work hard to get myself under control before shooting a deer with a rifle, even a doe!

Comment

I was like this up until last year. I hope I’m past that phase. I just take deeep deeeep breaths, try not to look at the antlers once I determine it’s a shooter and just slow my breathing which slows my heart rate. Weird I thought I was the only one who got buck fever before the shot.... all my buddy’s were after

Comment

Shooting a hinge with my bow. No kidding. I use to have the same problem rifle or bow. Super antsy at the shot. Started shooting a hinge full time and went rifle hunting, I was able to catch the shakes before they got bad, let my sight picture move and slowly grip down on the trigger for a surprise shot. I made better shots with a rifle last year than I ever have. Helped my archery game a ton, and made me a much better rifle shooter. Just learning to be okay with movement in your sight picture does wonders for your mental game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Completely animal specific for me

Comment

Best part of hunting.

Comment

Yes. I only 1 shot with my bow but after taking a rifle shot on what would have been my biggest deer of my life and missing him because I rushed it and fired the first possible second, I decided then I would wait. Wait and enjoy the moment. Wait and collect my breath. Just wait.

My bow buck the next year was taking after they fed for about 10 minutes. It helped me out a lot.

Comment

When I quit getting that feeling I kinda stopped hunting. Now I mostly fish but will go kill a few freezer fillers

Comment

Completely clinical for me. The excitement is gone. :-). Another reason I mostly just shoot pigs now.

Comment

Originally posted by rtp View Post
                        Ive been bow hunting since I was 15 years old and never once have I had buck fever with a bow in hand. I believe it is because I am thinking about all of the other stuff I need to do to get a shot off. You would think being so close to a deer would be even more reason for buck fever to set in but it doesnt. Put me in a deer blind with a rifle and it is an entirely different thing. I will start shaking really bad sometimes and at least a little bit most of the time. I have to work hard to get myself under control before shooting a deer with a rifle, even a doe!

I'm just the opposite....With a bow, I am a heart-thumping leg-shaking mofo .....deer, pig, turkey whatever. With a rifle, unless its a really big deer , I'm just getrdone....

Comment

Originally posted by rtp View Post
                          I'm the same way. I think with a bow I'm more focused on getting drawn without being seen so that keeps the shakes down. With that said, I tend to rush bow shots before I get detected or the deer moves. I'm not always where I want to be.

Comment

For me it’s no different With gun or bow. The nervous just is so bad before I want to take the ahoy then I just have to not take it. Because I wouldn’t be able to control my ability to aim properly with my bow or gun. I have missed deer due to that nervous feeling from bow or gun.

Comment

Never happens with a bow. Happens with a gun. Especially if I am watching and then decide I am shooting... like a proverbial switch goes off the minute it’s time to shoot. Wouldn’t have it any other way.

Comment

Working...
                              X