Switching 100 to 125 grain?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Switching 100 to 125 grain?

I've been shooting 100 grain Rage broadheads. Wanting to get a little more penetration on hogs, so I picked up a pack of 125 grain gravedigger hybrids. Question is: how much difference in flight, accuracy, and penetration am I going to experience with the extra 25 grain? Local bowshop guy said I shouldn't notice any difference at 20-30 yards, last time I was thinking about switching. Shooting a Mathew's Z3 and Diamond Rock 2.0. About 62 pounds at 27".

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Shoot them. There will be a difference

Comment

Minor at both distances but you will love those broadheads. They are pure evil.

Comment

Small difference

Pick a real cut on contact broadhead for better penetration. Don't mess with the gimmicks.

Comment

Originally posted by Fishndude View Post
          Minor at both distances but you will love those broadheads. They are pure evil.
          Yessir, I've seen the carnage you've stacked up with them. Couldn't resist giving them a try for $30 at Atwood's. Thank you.

Comment

Originally posted by TxAg View Post
            Small difference

Pick a real cut on contact broadhead for better penetration. Don't mess with the gimmicks.
            What do you suggest? Rage have been good, but I'm not getting the penetration I think I should be.

Comment

Originally posted by TxAg View Post
              Small difference

What do you mean by, “real cut on contact?” And, which do you recommend? And, what are some of the gimmicks?

Also, where is the most lethal shot placement on a large hog at 15-20 yard range? Same at 30?

I have a couple 250 plus coming around and would like to nail one effectively. Currently, I’m shooting 100 grain Bloodsport hybrids.
              Last edited by courtstamper; 12-23-2018, 08:44 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Muskles View Post
                What do you suggest? Rage have been good, but I'm not getting the penetration I think I should be.

Magnus stingers are hard to stop with an animal in my experience

Comment

Originally posted by RJH1 View Post
                  Yep. Mechanicals will never beat COC's for penetration.

Comment

If you have enough Kenetic Energy which you’ll increase with a heavier broadhead, any sharp broadhead will work. This game is all about shot placement. You don’t need more penetration if your shooting 60+ pounds at 20 yds on a big boar. I doubt there’s anything going to pass through the armor plate of 200lb slob. I’ve had rediculous success with 125gr Grim Reaper Razor Cuts in both deer and pigs. This year I’m 11 of 11 on hogs with only about 1/2 being pass through a on smaller ones. I shot a large boar this morning with only 8” of penetration. He died in about 100 yds. Arrow still sticking outta him. I honestly don’t think the design of your broad head is gonna make a difference. More weight on your arrow will be the difference maker. Just my two cents... good luck!!!

Comment

Wrong choice if your looking for deeper penetration. So many cut on contact heads out that will get yea deeper. Fixed two blade will get you the most. But even a three blade will get yea deeper then those mech. Don’t even consider the 25 gr. You will not notice it. You have to increase your arrow weight a huge amount to notice the difference. Its much easier to shoot a better designed broadhead. I have gone up to 175 gr. Broadheads and notice a very slight advantage. The broad head design is going to make the biggest difference. The narrower, sharpest, long taper broad head will get the most penetration. As you increase width, blade angle your penetration will go down. Now add more blades, and the need to open blades and a very poor blade angle,you lose a lot of momentuim.Just like the difference of pushing a pencil into jello. Vs pushing a spatula through it. There are heads that you can still get a fairly wide cut, and help you to getting closer to punching two holes in them.
                      Last edited by critter69; 12-23-2018, 09:32 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by RJH1 View Post
                        X2, my daughter and myself have hunted with these gor a few years.

Comment

Thanks for the replies. I used fixed 3 blade broadheads when I first started shooting bows, but never shot an animal with them. Switched to mechanical because I wanted something that shoots more like a field point. I'm planning on playing around with a few different heads before next bow season.

Comment

Originally posted by Muskles View Post
                            I've been shooting 100 grain Rage broadheads. Wanting to get a little more penetration on hogs, so I picked up a pack of 125 grain gravedigger hybrids. Question is: how much difference in flight, accuracy, and penetration am I going to experience with the extra 25 grain? Local bowshop guy said I shouldn't notice any difference at 20-30 yards, last time I was thinking about switching. Shooting a Mathew's Z3 and Diamond Rock 2.0. About 62 pounds at 27".

why did you only want to partially solve the penetration problem?

if penetration is the issue a mechanical is not nor will it ever be the answer......

try a pack of magnus stingers, your penetration will go up, probably a lot! and if your bow doe snot like them, your bow is in need of work! I regularly shoot them to 100 yards and farther just to show people how good they are!

try a pack of magnus stingers,,, penetration will go up!! and if your bow will not shoot them, your bow needs work! i regularly shoot them out to 100 yards and farther just to show how good they are!
                            Last edited by xman59; 12-23-2018, 10:52 PM.

Comment

Very small trajectory differences. Only way it could be an issue is if you are running weak on spine, even then it would be a small difference.

Comment

Working...
                              X