Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 11-02-2018, 03:45 AM   #1
Hoss163
Ten Point

Hunt In: Oklahoma
Default What to do when a lease member shoots a buck on the no hit list ?

We have a situation a Buck was shot that was on a no hit list but appears to be 5.5 which we said on the Rules bucks 5.5 and older are allowed!! But we had this buck on the no hit list because we thought he could get better next year at 6.5 !!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hoss163 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-02-2018, 04:01 AM   #2
Hoss163
Ten Point

I mean I understand he is 5.5 are older but we had him on the no kill list . I donít want to be that lease manager that changed the rules for one guy what do I do we did talk about this buck maybe going on the list because we thought he was 5.5 but never made that clear with all the members the member made a decision on his own and said he is definitely 5.5 and shot the buck without telling the rest of us .. and other members are mad including myself because they thought he was on the no kill list !!

Old 11-02-2018, 04:01 AM   #3
Bayouboy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: East Texas

If the rules say 5.5 he followed them.
I have seen many problems arise from not being consistent in lease rules.
Bayouboy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-02-2018, 04:01 AM   #4
Terran28
Spike

Hunt In: Wherever is free and/or cheap

1. Cancellation of lease
2. If stated in lease, restitution and cancellation of lease

You specifically stated that this buck was not to be harvested. That is a breach of the lease agreement.

Editing after your second post.

Was the buck listed or not listed on a list when the agreement was signed? Or was the buck only talked about being put on the list?

Last edited by Terran28; 11-02-2018 at 04:06 AM.
Terran28 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-02-2018, 04:09 AM   #5
Hoss163
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terran28 View Post
1. Cancellation of lease
2. If stated in lease, restitution and cancellation of lease

You specifically stated that this buck was not to be harvested. That is a breach of the lease agreement.

Editing after your second post.

Was the buck listed or not listed on a list when the agreement was signed? Or was the buck only talked about being put on the list?
Was never listed on the kill list!!
Old 11-02-2018, 04:09 AM   #6
dbelcher269
Eight Point

Hunt In: Red River County, Lamar County

First, I'd get the members together or at least a firm list of rules and PENALTIES for violating those rules. Second, if you're going to put a buck or animal on a no kill list it needs to be done just prior to season or as soon as the animal is recognized as needing to be on the list and then make sure all members get that list.
dbelcher269 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-02-2018, 04:16 AM   #7
Hoss163
Ten Point

Well he was never put on the list for sure but the member thought since he was probably 5.5 he was a shooter because 5.5 are older was fair game !! But remember this buck was on the the no kill list because we had pictures of him for the last two years on and off through the season!

Old 11-02-2018, 04:21 AM   #8
mww982
Eight Point

Hunt In: Texas, Michigan
Default What to do when a lease member shoots a buck on the no hit list ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoss163 View Post
Well he was never put on the list for sure but the member thought since he was probably 5.5 he was a shooter because 5.5 are older was fair game !! But remember this buck was on the the no kill list because we had pictures of him for the last two years on and off through the season!

You are conflicting yourself in this post. The deer was or was not on the ďno killĒ list. You say it was not officially on the list but then it was put on the list. You cannot have it both ways.

mww982 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-02-2018, 04:24 AM   #9
Hoss163
Ten Point

[QUOTE=mww982;13752092]You are conflicting yourself in this post. The deer was or was not on the ďno killĒ list. You say it was not officially on the list but then it was put on the list. You cannot have it both ways.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/. He was never put on the list but I agree I thought he was 5.5 and maybe we should put him on the list but never made it clear that he was on the list to all the members!!

Old 11-02-2018, 04:24 AM   #10
Terran28
Spike

Quote:

This post contradicts itself. The first sentence says he was not on a list, the last sentence says he was. Was or was he not on a list that all members had a copy of?
Old 11-02-2018, 04:25 AM   #11
Atfulldraw
Pope & Young

Hunt In: a high fence, southwest of DFW, Colorado

Yeah, I can see the problem.....
Atfulldraw is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-02-2018, 04:25 AM   #12
Hoss163
Ten Point

He never was on the kill list

Old 11-02-2018, 04:26 AM   #13
Terran28
Spike

Since the buck was not listed on a list prior to signing the agreement, he shot a buck that was 5.5 years old. Therefore, it will not stand up in court. If you cancel his lease out from under him without him breaking any written rules and a provided list, he has a lawsuit against you if he wishes. The buck has to be listed on the list that every member has a copy of. He made a valid, ethical, no rules broken kill.
Old 11-02-2018, 04:28 AM   #14
Hoss163
Ten Point

He was listed on the no kill list before season

Old 11-02-2018, 04:31 AM   #15
Terran28
Spike

OK, let me get some clarification. You have a listing of animals that are not to be killed? and was this dear on this list? From what I am reading I see he is AND he is not on a list. Is this list a TO BE KILLED list or a DO NOT KILL list? And do all members have a copy or were notified of where to get the copy?
Old 11-02-2018, 04:32 AM   #16
Hoss163
Ten Point

Not to mention the member has shot a buck already this season that was a good buck but was not considered a trophy because we consider a trophy 130 are bigger this buck was 124 and was the biggest buck the member has ever harvested!!

Old 11-02-2018, 04:34 AM   #17
Hoss163
Ten Point

The second buck was 140ish but was not on the list ever because we thought he might blow up at 6.5,!!

Old 11-02-2018, 04:35 AM   #18
Hoss163
Ten Point

And we agreed that he might blow up at 6.5 so letís let him walk

Old 11-02-2018, 04:36 AM   #19
gb22250
Six Point

Hunt In: Lampasas

Back button..
gb22250 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-02-2018, 04:37 AM   #20
Terran28
Spike

If you have a list that this buck was on before the season started that stated DO NOT KILL these particular animals and he has a copy of the list or was notified in writing, then the lease can be cancelled legally.
Old 11-02-2018, 04:39 AM   #21
Hoss163
Ten Point

Quote:
If you have a list that this buck was on before the season started that stated DO NOT KILL these particular animals and he has a copy of the list or was notified in writing, then the lease can be cancelled legally.

I agree and it is on the no kill list plan and simple!!

Old 11-02-2018, 04:39 AM   #22
mww982
Eight Point

If the lease member did know and you have proof that he did know that this particular buck was not to be killed then you have the legal right, in my opinion to remove him for the lease. However, if you did not provide the no kill list or a way for this member to know this buck was off limits then you are SOL. He was abiding by the 5.5 year old rule and you know it. Not trying to be harsh but it sounds like you are ticked that he killed this buck but if he was following the rules and you changed the rules it is not fair to the members.

Rules are in place for a reason and you should not change them from year to year. Be consistent with them and put penalties in place if you violate the rules.
Old 11-02-2018, 04:42 AM   #23
Terran28
Spike

That is where I was getting confused. So he is on the DO NOT KILL list and it was prior to the season. Does the member have a copy of that DO NOT KILL list? If so, how did he get it? Email, handed to him, a link somewhere? If that buck is on that list, you have to have proof that he got the list, either by paper trail (email, all members got a copy at a meeting, etc.) or its in the Lease Agreement of where to find that information. If you cancel his lease and sues, your lawyer will need to know how exactly he was notified of the list and there has to be proof of how he was notified.
Old 11-02-2018, 04:43 AM   #24
Hoss163
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by mww982 View Post
If the lease member did know and you have proof that he did know that this particular buck was not to be killed then you have the legal right, in my opinion to remove him for the lease. However, if you did not provide the no kill list or a way for this member to know this buck was off limits then you are SOL. He was abiding by the 5.5 year old rule and you know it. Not trying to be harsh but it sounds like you are ticked that he killed this buck but if he was following the rules and you changed the rules it is not fair to the members.

Rules are in place for a reason and you should not change them from year to year. Be consistent with them and put penalties in place if you violate the rules.

No rules are changed I understand where the member is coming from because we said 5.5 are legal to shoot but we had this buck on the no kill list because we were hoping he would blow up at 6.5 ! The guy already has shot a decent buck this year to boot

Old 11-02-2018, 04:47 AM   #25
Hoss163
Ten Point

Quote:
That is where I was getting confused. So he is on the DO NOT KILL list and it was prior to the season. Does the member have a copy of that DO NOT KILL list? If so, how did he get it? Email, handed to him, a link somewhere? If that buck is on that list, you have to have proof that he got the list, either by paper trail (email, all members got a copy at a meeting, etc.) or its in the Lease Agreement of where to find that information. If you cancel his lease and sues, your lawyer will need to know how exactly he was notified of the list and there has to be proof of how he was notified.
Through notes that you put on your phone and sent to people
Old 11-02-2018, 04:48 AM   #26
Hoss163
Ten Point

And I never said anything about kicking anyone off a lease and going to court now did I ???
Old 11-02-2018, 04:49 AM   #27
Terran28
Spike

Quote:
Through notes that you put on your phone and sent to people
As long as you have proof that it was sent to him, cancel his lease. Be prepared to hear from his lawyer. Make no exceptions. Other members will start to do the same.
Old 11-02-2018, 04:51 AM   #28
Terran28
Spike

Quote:
And I never said anything about kicking anyone off a lease and going to court now did I ???
No you did not, however, you did ask what to do. He broke the rules, cancel the lease.
Old 11-02-2018, 04:52 AM   #29
mww982
Eight Point

The way I look at it, the rules state 5.5 are legal but because you "think" the deer will blow up a year later this was placed on the "no kill" list. In my opinion you need to have all the members vote on it and have the vote recorded. If not, he was following the rules. It sounds like that you are more upset that this lease member has taken 2 decent bucks off the property.

I had a similar situation on the lease I am managing. My rule is 8 point or better and no spikes unless we can tell it is it's second set of antlers. A lease member violated those rules, shot a spike, and lost it. I was ******. I let him finish out the year but he was not allowed back on the lease the next season. Thankfully, he didn't shoot anything else.
Old 11-02-2018, 05:01 AM   #30
Coup de Grace
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Trophy Hunting.

Quote:
As long as you have proof that it was sent to him, cancel his lease. Be prepared to hear from his lawyer. Make no exceptions. Other members will start to do the same.
Thats what deer hunting has come to, getting lawyers involved, kick his as s off the deer lease, he did it once he will do it again.
Coup de Grace is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-02-2018, 05:03 AM   #31
Hoss163
Ten Point

Well another problem is he never recovered the buck but another lease member caught wind of him shooting the buck ! And was asking since when do we shoot bucks that are not on the No Kill list ! Of course we didnít have a clue what was going on !!

Old 11-02-2018, 05:07 AM   #32
Coup de Grace
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Trophy Hunting.

He is a problem, kick to the curb.
Coup de Grace is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-02-2018, 05:12 AM   #33
Rick
Eight Point

Hunt In: Junction

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atfulldraw View Post
Yeah, I can see the problem.....
yes...I do to....
Rick is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-02-2018, 05:15 AM   #34
mww982
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick View Post
yes...I do to....
How long before this thread is toast?
Old 11-02-2018, 05:25 AM   #35
Snowflake Killa
Ten Point

Hunt In: East Texas

Send him packing. But you should have a set of rules for for violators.On our place you are on probation for 2 years any violations during that time you could be terminated. After that if you shoot a deer on the no shoot wall you loose your trophy for the following year. You can't put a value on the deer because they will just write a check and never learn from there mistakes. It sucks for the following year when they can't shoot a trophy. And what ever rules that you come up with don't bend them at all not even with your closest friends. The rules are the rules
Snowflake Killa is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-02-2018, 05:53 AM   #36
HeyMikey
Pope & Young

Sounds like someone (or several) got butt hurt over another lease member shooting a couple of nice (legal) deer. You're twisting and turning your side of the story, to make it sound like he broke a rule, but if it wasn't in black & white, get over it so you don't make the same mistake next time.

Last edited by HeyMikey; 11-02-2018 at 05:56 AM.
HeyMikey is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-02-2018, 05:56 AM   #37
30-30
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Hopkins County

You need to have a vote with all lease members on what action to take. Otherwise, one or more members won’t like your decision no matter what it is.

I couldn’t hunt a place with as many convoluted rules as some here......
30-30 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-02-2018, 06:08 AM   #38
sqiggy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Panola Co and Robertson Co

Quote:
He never was on the kill list

Quote:
He was listed on the no kill list before season

I'm so confused!!!
I bet the other guy is too!!!
sqiggy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-02-2018, 06:08 AM   #39
nursejenn
Pope & Young

Hunt In: McCulloch County

Quote:
...we did talk about this buck maybe going on the list because we thought he was 5.5 but never made that clear with all the members...

...and other members are mad including myself because they thought he was on the no kill list !!

Here's your problem... you. It was talked about but never clearly on the list and not made clear with all the members. What you need to do is... If you're the lease manager, YOU need to apologize to the rest of your hunters for not doing your job so they can be mad at the appropriate target....
nursejenn is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-02-2018, 06:11 AM   #40
RWB
Eight Point

Hunt In: Leon County

If this thread is any indication there may be a communication problem
RWB is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-02-2018, 06:14 AM   #41
BeetleGuy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Coleman, TX / Alread, AR

I am sssssoooooooooooo glad I’m not on a lease like this!!

If one of our guys mess up we talk about it and get past it. It helps that we are all on the same page
BeetleGuy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-02-2018, 06:16 AM   #42
KILLERMILLER
Eight Point

Hunt In: Gillespie County

Picture's or it didn't happen.
KILLERMILLER is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-02-2018, 06:16 AM   #43
barnett77859
Ten Point

Hunt In: Elliott

a lease should be a fun place to hunt and unwind good friend and fellowship
with all the rules and a list of shooters and non shooter just kills it for me
what ever happen to just hunting with good friends what happens if a buck shows
up that has not been seen before might be a buck of a life time but not on kill list
dang hard to let him walk

Last edited by barnett77859; 11-02-2018 at 06:21 AM.
barnett77859 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-02-2018, 06:17 AM   #44
eastxhunter
Ten Point

Hunt In: Marsh / Central Tx

Quote:
And was asking since when do we shoot bucks that are noton the No Kill list ! Of course we didn’t have a clue what was going on !!

Lol can’t shoot bucks not on the list? What the hell can you shoot?!
eastxhunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-02-2018, 06:17 AM   #45
Txbownut
Ten Point

Hunt In: South Texas, East Texas, Colorado

Lease drama.... The one thing I do hate about deer hunting. We (me included) have made this tradition way too complicated.
Txbownut is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-02-2018, 06:18 AM   #46
sbushee
Ten Point

Hunt In: The Outside

What if he would have been 5 and not 5.5? The lease member followed the rules. He/she should not suffer any repurcussions whatsoever. Sounds like the one with the problem is the lease boss. We’re talking about a deer. It’s not a life or death issue. Guy shot a deer he is happy with. Move on. This is silly

Sounds like such a fun place.

Last edited by sbushee; 11-02-2018 at 06:21 AM.
sbushee is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-02-2018, 06:19 AM   #47
ABroussard
Ten Point

Hunt In: Texas

I can clearly see why there may be some confusion with the rules....
ABroussard is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-02-2018, 06:20 AM   #48
eastxhunter
Ten Point

Hunt In: Marsh / Central Tx

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnett77859 View Post
just kills it for me
Canít let it do that to you man itís on the no kills kills list
eastxhunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-02-2018, 06:24 AM   #49
Soggy Bottom
Eight Point

Hunt In: Victoria County and Jim Wells County

Clear as mud...
Soggy Bottom is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-02-2018, 06:24 AM   #50
Jerry H
Ten Point

Hunt In: Hall County

Quote:
Originally Posted by Txbownut View Post
Lease drama.... The one thing I do hate about deer hunting. We (me included) have made this tradition way too complicated.
Agreed ...... I couldn't hunt on this lease
Jerry H is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top