Best Small Business startup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best Small Business startup

I am interested in ideas others have. It seems we as individuals get locked into a bubble in life and really get locked into that environment. What do you think is a good small business start up?

Depends on your interest. It takes a lot of time and dedication to run your own business. Is this a side gig or primary income? I would suggest pick a business that you are passionate about or something you are very good at. Usually they go hand in hand, but not always.

Are you good at customer service? Advertising? Managing people? Hiring people? Good with computers? Construction? Some of those answers can guide you to maybe the right small business for you.

Comment

Not sure how close the coast you are. Two things come to mind. Detail clean up and ready boats- may start slow but if you are good will grow by word of mouth. Get boats cleaned, iced down, opened up before and meet one return trip.

Doing clean up for rentals - Clean up, do yard work- do general repairs and get it ready for next rental.

Both of these options I feel you could grow business if you are better than anyone else doing this service. If you aint the top dog you will struggle
      Last edited by glen; 01-02-2021, 05:39 AM.

Comment

What ever you decide to do, be a one man show for as long as you can. Once you start hiring employees, you get a whole new meaning of drama

The fella down the road here, got into a franchise called Budget Blinds. I think it is just him and his son that runs it and they stay right busy in this housing craze.

Comment

Taking care of vacation homes and rental property down here on the coast. It’s a side gig cause I work full time but it keeps us busy.

Comment

Any type of service business on the coast will be successful if you just do what you say you are going to do.

A very popular TBHer has a father that lives on the coast installing boat lifts and docks. We paid him thousands more for the same service as his competitors because he actually shows up when he is scheduled to, does quality work on time, and provides service after the sale.

It sounds fairly simple, but after owning a house in Rockport for the last 10 years, I can tell you that it is really difficult to find a contractor that is worth a darn.

Comment

Originally posted by HOOKNBULLET2 View Post
              Any type of service business on the coast will be successful if you just do what you say you are going to do.

A very popular TBHer has a father that lives on the coast installing boat lifts and docks. We paid him thousands more for the same service as his competitors because he actually shows up when he is scheduled to, does quality work on time, and provides service after the sale.

It sounds fairly simple, but after owning a house in Rockport for the last 10 years, I can tell you that it is really difficult to find a contractor that is worth a darn.
              This right here. Any type of work where people have vacation homes. As long as you show up, do what you say and provide a good service you will be successful

Comment

Check out wooddefender.com for great business opportunity.

Comment

It sounds fairly simple, but after owning a house in Rockport for the last 10 years, I can tell you that it is really difficult to find a contractor that is worth a darn
                  I'm glad its not just us...there are alot of bad "contractors" in that area

Comment

Originally posted by MAP View Post
                    I'm glad its not just us...there are alot of bad "contractors" in that area
                    Seems like anytime you're around water its like that, lakes and coastal

Comment

Boat storages and Rvs

Comment

Originally posted by RMW View Post
                        Boat storages and Rvs
                        Large investment in land shelters there. Heck even rock is expensive not to mention concrete

Comment

Pick something you love

Comment

Yes, Radar is spot on about the headaches when you grow and have to hire employees. It is just not the drama. Back when I had 2 kids in college I started a millwright business with just my tool buddy and worked one of my sons part time when he could come home and all
                            Sumer. We set many new industrial pumps, motors, compressors, and fans. Just worked weekends if I was was not working in town working my regular job in the local refineries. All was fun when I was subcontracting, invoices paid regular and pretty much for the most part on time. Well, this was on a large expansion up the coast and the more we did the more the client pushed me to work direct for them with the promise of work growing exponentially, for which it did. Then I had to start hiring employees and had to start paying unemployment taxes, social security, insurance and so on. Well the client paid their invoices regular, albeit instead of 30 days they were happy to run it out to 115 days or so. There response to the contract of 30 day invoices with a late fee, the just said they did not plan on paying it that way and I had my options of handling anyway I wanted. Well a little contractor up against the large corporation I ended up going back to work as a sub contractor which was much less, but steady pay roll for myself and crews although I still had to pay all the extra expenses of having employees. NOW I WANT TO STATE, I was able to put two kids through A&M without having to get any loans! Life would have been so much less stressful if I would have kept it without employees and with just the original three of us being corporate officers. I know this was a long read, and honestly there is nothing like working for your self. Also keep in mind that there were never any days off during that tenure. Just saying.... cC

Comment

Originally posted by friscopaint View Post
                              Large investment in land shelters there. Heck even rock is expensive not to mention concrete
                              Got a good friend who use to drive a truck for a living hauling cars for himself for 15 years and he just said he had enough.

Now he owns 8 storage centers and is living the good life at 45 years old. Even bought a 1500 acre ranch in South Texas. It can be done he is a go getter though.

Comment

Working...
                              X