Brisket mixed in deer grind

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brisket mixed in deer grind

Been processing two deer this weekend and will do the grind tomorrow for chili and hamburger. I know many of you add brisket to the deer grind, but my question is, "do you mean brisket WITH the fat that is on the brisket, or do you trim off the fat as if you are smoking the brisket?" I have mixed bacon ends before, but apparently used too much, and the bacon overpowered the deer meat.

Also, I never include any membrane or silverskin in my grind. It is meticulously clean when I grind it, and I waste a lot of scraps. Consequently, I don't get much hamburger out of a deer. It has been a long time since I let a processor do my deer, so I don't remember if the silverskin is detectable after it has been ground up with the meat.

I am thinking of just mixing 80/20 hamburger grind with my venison to add bulk and some fat. What say you experts?

I trim the real hard fat off the brisket and that’s about it.

Comment

good question......i need that answer myself

Comment

Originally posted by Skinny View Post
        I trim the real hard fat off the brisket and that’s about it.
        So you mix the really lean brisket, sans fat, with the venison grind? You are doing it for the taste, not the fat content?

Comment

I use the whole brisket

Comment

Just use 70/30 burger. Brisket is trash meat unless you smoke it.

Comment

Originally posted by Burnadell View Post
              So you mix the really lean brisket, sans fat, with the venison grind? You are doing it for the taste, not the fat content?

I leave all fat on the brisket except the couple chunks of fat that are rock hard. Seems there are typically two areas of hard fat on a full packed brisket.

Comment

Originally posted by deerplanter View Post
                I use the whole brisket
                Do you grind up the whole brisket, then try to apportion it with the venison to evenly mix the fat?

Comment

Originally posted by Traildust View Post
                  Just use 70/30 burger. Brisket is trash meat unless you smoke it.

Ignore this nonsense. [emoji1474]

Comment

Originally posted by Burnadell View Post
                    Do you grind up the whole brisket, then try to apportion it with the venison to evenly mix the fat?

I cube/chunk up my deer meat and my brisket. I mix the chunks together and then grind. It’s not all that hard to shove a piece or two of deer meat down the throat then a chunk or two of brisket. Repeat. If I think I need to mix more after the grind, I will divide the grind into smaller batches to make mixing easier and more efficient.

Comment

Thanks, Skinny!

Comment

I cube/chunk up my deer meat and my brisket. I mix the chunks together and then grind. It’s not all that hard to shove a piece or two of deer meat down the throat then a chunk or two of brisket. Repeat. If I think I need to mix more after the grind, I will divide the grind into smaller batches to make mixing easier and more efficient.
                        This and I do not trim the fat.

Comment

Same here. I shoot for 70/30 mix.

Comment

This exactly. I bought the brisket for the fat. I’m using it all.

Comment

I like 10 to 15% beef fat. Brisket is good to though. I find I lose some of the venison taste mixing brisket with it but that’s not a bad thing especially if you have a mature buck that might be a little rank.

Comment

Working...
                              X