Layering system

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Layering system

Thinking about layering a First lite kiln under a Sitka apex hoodie and maybe a first lite wick base layer when it’s really cold. My question is does the kiln layer well under the apex?

I mostly bow hunt from a ground blind but make an annual up north trip for elk or antelope late October early November.

Comment

I’m kind of wondering if these are both mid layers though the apex seemed to be a good top layer for texas with the kiln as a base on really cold days

Comment

I have the furnace pants and kiln hoody. Been in Michigan this week. The pants are heavier than the hoody, but the kiln is a good base.

Comment

How’d you layer the kiln?

Comment

Maybe consider a puffy as a mid layer for the really cold stuff

Comment

Originally posted by texasproud11 View Post
              How’d you layer the kiln?
              I have a lite merino wool top I got from FirstLite about 6 ears ago and and a Under Armor cold weather top, so I have been using all 3 tops along with my sanctuary coat

Comment

Layering 101
                Attached Files

Comment

Here is my experience. All my gear is First Lite. I bought way more than I could ever wear two years ago. What I thought my system would be turned out to be crap, but I bought everything and tweaked my system during the hunt.

Now, I basically run a wool base layer that's tight fitting, then a wool long sleeve T, then either the fleece or the sawtooth, which I usually ditch if we are hikin gmore than 2 or 3 miles. That has kept me warm down to ~10 degrees out west chasing elk. When we sit down to glass, I put on the First Lite Catalyst (Synthetic materials, not wool, probably similar to the Apex Hoodie) to stop the wind. I always make sure I have at least 1 hood, preferably a wind proof hood.

Mountain gear is very different from white tail gear. If I ran the same setup hunting white tails, I would be froze in an hour. I wear a huge puffy jacket for white tails I got from FL three years ago that is insanely warm.

Comment

I have hunted some nasty cold in the UP of Michigan and I use smartwool base layers and wool shirt, Wool sweater, then great boots with wicking sock and then wool sock. And the last layer is Weatherby Wool Pants which you cant get any more but you can get King of the Mountain wool pants and they are expensive. All this wool lets sweat out and keeps you warm for sure. Cablea's has wool shirts and sweater, REI has smartwool. Good Luck

Comment

tagged

Comment

OP, the other thing ranchdog alluded to. Don't get too bent on getting camo if you are hunting out of a blind or chasing elk. If you can do that, you will save a lot of money. REI has great gear that is far less $ than FL and Sitka.

Comment

It seems the apex hoodie is pretty hard to find in stores. I have cabelas cards stacked up and sportsman’s finest credit too. Seemed like the hoodie was the best thing to go over my FL fuse long tee. Versatile, warm, water resistant, light and quiet. Any thoughts on a different jacket or hoodie to look into as a top layer in texas and mid in Colorado

Comment

Originally posted by WItoTX View Post
                            OP, the other thing ranchdog alluded to. Don't get too bent on getting camo if you are hunting out of a blind or chasing elk. If you can do that, you will save a lot of money. REI has great gear that is far less $ than FL and Sitka.
                            That is a very good point, don’t need camo in a blind.

Comment

Working...
                            X