Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is a LF Book Deer Worth Financially?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The place I hunt is 134,000 acres, and we have a 5,300 acre pasture on it. The owners offer package hunts on the 9,000 acres they don’t lease out, and I just read through the kill fees. To kill a 160” gross cost $7,500 and to kill a 185” gross cost $17k. Anything over 185” gross is negotiable.

Comment

This is why I am looking to out of state hunting for a chance at a low fence big deer.

Comment

I spent about $100,000 on leases and about 20 years of hunting to get one. I killed another one on my ranch but wouldn’t qualify since my neighbor and I are high fenced.

Comment

Shot this guy on our LF lease. Gross 201 net 198 and booked. G2 almost 15 inches. I think 30k nowadays is what it would take.
          Attached Files

Comment

Based on what I see $7500-10K. 180 class you can double that.... I would add that it costs a lot more to help a deer get to this size (in addition to his genetics). As El Gato says - nutrition, nutrition, nutrition! If you understand those words the devil is in the detail.

What has surprised me is the number of places offering big deer cheap. Don't know if they are turnouts from a breeding program or not however have been very surprised in the last couple of months of pricing to hunt top deer. Smells fishy since I now understand the cost side both financially and physically.....

Comment

Originally posted by JBJTX81 View Post
              I'd be willing to pay a daily rate then trophy free of $100/inch on the net sore for 170-180. Even more for beyond 180". My guess is finding something like this would be very hard unless the operation just released a bunch of RFID chipped deer from a pen into a LF pasture. Not sure the total number of all time book typical bucks but the last time I look I think only a dozen or so have netted above 200".

Its rare. I interested how many folks on the green screen have killed a net 170" fair chase buck and have their name in the good book of B&C.
              I have one in the book. 178 7/8 net , 182 1/2 gross 10 pt I killed in Mexico.
              Real close to Elgato’s ranch. It’s the deer in my avatar.
              Last edited by drslonghorn; 11-04-2019, 07:02 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Huntingfool View Post
                Shot this guy on our LF lease. Gross 201 net 198 and booked. G2 almost 15 inches. I think 30k nowadays is what it would take.
                Now that's a LF stud!!!!! Wow..

Comment

Depends on which book you want you name inked in. Would you like fingerprints to go with that?

with a 180"deer
                  ((180-100) 2 x $1.65 = $132

(Totally arbitrary #s IMO)
                  eight scoring criteria
                  (1) Recreation - 3
                  (2) Aesthetic - 2
                  (3) Educational - 1
                  (4) Scarcity - 3
                  (5) Environmental Tolerance - 2 (don't now how this applies to WTD)
                  (6) Economics - 2 (?)
                  (7) Recruitment - 3 (?)
                  (8) Ecological role - 1
                  so scoring criteria.....3+2+1+3+2+2+3+1= 17

weighting factor = 1.3 (rare)
                  and 17 x 1.3 = 22.1
                  and (from table below) 21 - 23.9 = $4,780.50

$132 +$4,780.50= $4912.50 need to add in court costs of course.

Don't even know if I did all that right

**************************TPWD Restitution ******
                  TPWD Deer Restitution
                  Texas Administrative Code
                  TITLE 31 NATURAL RESOURCES AND CONSERVATION
                  PART 2 TEXAS PARKS AND WILDLIFE DEPARTMENT
                  CHAPTER 69 RESOURCE PROTECTION
                  SUBCHAPTER B FISH AND WILDLIFE VALUES
                  RULE §69.30 Trophy Wildlife Species

(1) White-tailed deer--The formula for white-tailed deer shall be applied to all individuals whose gross score exceeds 100 Boone and Crockett inches. The formula shall be: Recovery Value = ((gross score - 100) 2 x $1.65) plus the value derived in §69.22 of this title.

RULE §69.22 Wildlife--Recovery Values
                  (a) Each species of bird, reptile, amphibian, or animal shall be assigned a score of 0-3 for each of eight scoring criteria. The sum of the scores for the eight criteria (subsection (b) of this section) shall be multiplied by a weighting factor (subsection (c) of this section), and the resulting adjusted criteria score is compared to the monetary scale (subsection (d) of this section) to obtain a monetary value.

(b) For scoring criteria listed in paragraphs (1)-(8) of this subsection, a species which is not sought at all shall be scored as 0, while a highly sought species shall be scored 3.

(1) Recreation. The extent to which a species is actively sought by users with wildlife interests. Scoring considers both harvest and nonharvest use of a species.

(2) Aesthetic. The social value of wildlife species. These values represent wildlife species' beauty or unique natural history. Aesthetic values for these species exist whether or not a person ever would encounter one in its natural habitat.

(3) Educational. The educational value of a species arising from, for example, published materials and other audio-visual media about the species, displays in zoos, or the relative frequency with which the species is used to exemplify important curricula principles.

(4) Scarcity. The relative population of a species within the range of its habitat, from abundant to scarce.

(5) Environmental Tolerance. The ability of a species to tolerate normal changes in climate, topography, water regimes or other ecological factors which may limit range and population.

(6) Economics. The direct or indirect economic benefit attributable to the species as a result of recreational or legal transactions.

(7) Recruitment. Reproductive and survival potential of a species as it relates to the capability for replacement of its population following decrease or loss.

(8) Ecological role. A species' relationships with other life forms--and the species contribution to a healthful and stable balance of nature. Widely-consumed forage species score high, as do predators which control prey species populations. Forage species that are not widely consumed score low, as do predators which contribute little to regulation of prey populations.

(c) The individual scores for the criteria are summed to derive a total criteria score. The total criteria score is multiplied by a weighting factor which adjusts the summed criteria score for variance in public demand and/or perception of value for a species. The weighting factor relates the overall demand for a species to its existing supply and to future opportunity for public use. The weighting factors are:

(1) 1.0--Abundant. No additional public demand or perception of value exists beyond that reflected by the eight criteria in subsection (b) of this section;

(2) 1.1--Frequent. Minor disparity exists between resource availability and public interest and the public demand fluctuates periodically around an equilibrium point;

(3) 1.3--Rare. Substantial disparity exists between available supply and identified public interest in species that are subject to ongoing management programs;

(4) 1.5--Scarce. The species populations are never expected to meet identified demands or needs, or management programs for a limited species are not fully developed with respect to planned recreational opportunity and economic contribution.

(d) The total criteria score multiplied by the weighting factor in subsections (a)-(c) of this section, provides an adjusted criteria score and corresponding recovery value for each species.

Adjusted Criteria

Score Range
                  Monetary Value
                  1 - 5.9 = $5.00
                  6 - 8.9 = $13.50
                  9 - 10.9 = $26.00
                  11 - 12.9 = $59.50
                  13 - 14.9 = $105.50
                  15 - 16.9 = $273.50
                  17 - 18.9 = $881.50
                  19 - 20.9 = $1,929.50
                  21 - 23.9 = $4,780.50
                  24 - 36.9 = $11,907.50

Comment

The deer I shot in 2004 pretty sealed the sale of the 24 million Buckle L ranch!

Comment

You should probably just give him the beat up Majek of yours and call it even.

Comment

Interesting trend to me is how cheap big deer are getting on HF ranches. I remember when only a couple 200 inchers were killed in Texas a year. Now you can shoot a 3yo 200 incher on a small HF place for around $5k. Not the type of shooting I like, but an interesting trend in Texas hunting.
                        I am on a life long quest for a giant lf buck, but I want to hunt for it more than pay for it. I know you are paying for it one way or another, but don't want to just buy one that someone else has found and patterned. Not that there is anything wrong with that, just not my dream.
                        For me, the fun is in the quest.

Comment

Originally posted by ttaxidermy View Post
                          Now that's a LF stud!!!!! Wow..
                          Thank you. Highlight of my hunting life over 60 years.

Comment

Originally posted by Mayhem View Post
                            You should probably just give him the beat up Majek of yours and call it even.
                            Even trade?

Comment

Originally posted by Huntingfool View Post
                              Thank you. Highlight of my hunting life over 60 years.
                              **** Tim, you’re old! .

Your lease has produced some awesome bucks, but that might just be the very best one of them!

Comment

It cost a whole lot more than $15K to grow a LF net B&C buck!

Comment

Working...
                                X