Blackbuck

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Blackbuck

I need a lesson on Blackbucks, how long does it take to grow a mature one, will the older ones kill younger ones, when do they breed, do high fence guys try to separate mature Blackbucks? Stuff like that

By "grow a mature one" I assume you mean a 20" blacked out male? Typically at least 3-4 years depending on genetics and feed. They are pretty territorial and do fight but rarely kill each other. They seem to breed all year but are heavier in Spring and early fall. Cool animals that can populate quickly in an area, but predators can be hell on the babies...

Comment

Thank you

Comment

Reach out to my cousin Herbie here on TBH. He raises 'em high fence cross the road here in Harper. He had a pair fight a few years back and one got killed.
        He is growing one for my daughter in law.

Comment

Thanks Tony Pic, we are not too far from Harper

Comment

Don’t need a high fence. Goat fence works just fine

Comment

Originally posted by glen View Post
              Don’t need a high fence. Goat fence works just fine
              This is true...Blackbuck are not known for jumping fences. Cuz has them mixed with other exotics. So they get the high fence treatment with the ones that can jump fences easily.
              If you wish to grow your own...Take a look at www.Razlivestock.com
              Good place to get and grow your own if you have the property.

Comment

We are going to put them on our place once the fence is complete. 48" field fence with 3 strands of barbed wire and field fence dirt skirt to try to keep predators out. Grass can be limited during hot weather. Do they eat other stuff or just grazers?

Gary

Comment

They are like goats , make sure the fence has no weak or open spots.

Comment

Especially in the corners.

Comment

Originally posted by cantexduck View Post
                      They are like goats , make sure the fence has no weak or open spots.
                      Especially if hogs are present. They will find, exploit and widen those openings from the outside.
                      I have seen it. BlackBuck can get you a AG exemption also

Comment

Originally posted by DRT View Post
                        We are going to put them on our place once the fence is complete. 48" field fence with 3 strands of barbed wire and field fence dirt skirt to try to keep predators out. Grass can be limited during hot weather. Do they eat other stuff or just grazers?

Gary
                        I can vouch for the fact that the absolutely love protien!!!!

Bisch

Comment

Great stuff

Comment

Here is some blackbuck candy of my cousins place. You can make your yard look the same
                            It is a vid...click pic.
                            KVID0700 by Tony Pic, on Flickr

Comment

Working...
                            X