No announcement yet.

Survival kit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

For items seldom used and any firestarter stuff, vaccum seal them. Hate to pull out firestarter after 10 years in your bag only to find out a jolly rancher melted into it all.

Comment

One of my small fire kits. The things on the rt. side fit in the Altoid can. The rest are some ferro rods, striker and flint.
      Attached Files

Comment

Things I wont go to Colorado without are:

Some type of fire starter
        Super Glue
        Duct Tape
        Tampons to control bleeding.

Comment

Originally posted by TexasBob View Post
          Flare is a great idea, will add a couple to my mountain pack for sure. Ive been told Blue is the most unnatural color so look for tarps, blankets etc in that color. A blue blob will stand out and help you be seen.
          Every where I go I carry a roll of orange surveyor tape, it’s a crazy habit from doing field work for 30+ years
          It’s in my pocket same as my EDC knife
          Keep a couple of rolls in my pack also easily seen from air and land
          And a x of orange is a international signal of distress
          Attached Files
          Last edited by S-3 Ranch; 01-12-2021, 02:17 PM.

Comment

Something I always have with me is paracord. I can use it for many many things.

Comment

I carry 3 flashlights, torch lighter and 2 bic lighters in a zip loc baggie. A tourniquet, flint fire starter and phone charger and cord. Toilet paper, 3 or 4 waters, I have a handful of big bandaids in my pack as well. I have a big Swiss Army knife with all kinds of cool tweezers, knives, spoons etc on it!:-)

Comment

Originally posted by 7sdad View Post
                Tampons to control bleeding.
                Couldn't you just time your hunts better to avoid that?

Comment

If you have wonky health, like heart issues. Diabetes a PLB is I good item to carry
                  On my trips to remote areas like Alaska or Canada, even lower 48 out of state remote areas, I kinda follow the 10 rule
                  Last edited by S-3 Ranch; 01-12-2021, 03:43 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Ætheling View Post
                    Among the usual items never forget a good trauma kit. If I have a major bleeding event on my hands that is priority.

Scalpel, artery forceps (never enough), pressure bandages, tourniquets, Iodine, IV bag with catheter needles.
                    I have a great friend that I love to hunt with because of his kit. He is a tactical medic an he carries that heavy azz bag with him everywhere. Its reassuring to know the kit is there.

Comment

Originally posted by Chew View Post
                      Couldn't you just time your hunts better to avoid that?

Holy crap that is funny!

Comment

The 411 series suggests bigfoot got everyone. No one is safe from bigfoot

Comment

Originally posted by Ætheling View Post
                          Among the usual items never forget a good trauma kit. If I have a major bleeding event on my hands that is priority.

Scalpel, artery forceps (never enough), pressure bandages, tourniquets, Iodine, IV bag with catheter needles.
                          This. Add a dependable fire source and signal mirror to it and a folding knife. Stainless steel water container and small tarp. Small and light. If it’s too big, you won’t carry it

Comment

A signaling device is essential. If you can quickly get rescued, the other stuff may not be needed. A signaling device can be as simple as a whistle or as elaborate as a personal locator beacon. Carry a knife, fire starting supplies, emergency blanket, dependable flashlight, first aid/trauma kit, and a way to signal for help.

Comment

Survival “Tuna Can”. Small enough to stuff in a cargo pocket. Sealed and will float. Comprehensive enough for basic survival tasks of starting fire, basic 1st aid and food procurement. I always have a blade. (Or 2) on me.

Click image for larger version

Name:	4BDD5C9C-D60A-443F-93E8-A69A422BA9BA.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	107.2 KB
ID:	24686125
                              Attached Files

Comment

I have a PLB for fishing on the coast, always take that with me in my pack when hunting remote, that'll solve 99.9% of issues. It's like 10 ounces or so and works globally. Small lighter weighs nothing, good fire goes a long way. If I'm out West I always vacuum seal a lightweight set of base layers in case I end up in a creek with wet clothes. There's a lot of little things, just got to sit down and think of the most likely scenario for you and weigh out the weight cost/benefit to carrying stuff. Broken ankle, soaking wet from storm/creek, shot yourself accidentally, etc. My son wants me to carry a tourniquet now externally on my belt so it's quickly accessible, still on the fence on that but seems like if I'm gonna have one it may as well go there.

edit: One thing I carry that most people don't is a tiny vial of eyedrops. Sucks to mess up an eye and have to walk half blind back through the night. If the vial is full you have enough to be able to use it as a flush as well. I've completely incapacitated myself while out duck hunting by stabbing my eye with a dry rotted weed stem building blinds and ever since then that eye is extremely sensitive getting any kind of dirt or junk in it.
                                Last edited by justletmein; 06-10-2022, 03:25 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X