Off Season Summer Prep

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Off Season Summer Prep

What, if anything, do you try to do during the summer months in preparations for the upcoming fall?

Do you make special trips?
    Look for new ground?
    Try out new things to experiment or tinker with?
    Stick to your routine? If so , what?
    What works for you?
    Camera ideas?

Or just say, “It’s too **** hot. I only want to fish!”[emoji28]

Most of me falls between too **** and hot and going fishing, but I still catch myself wanting to do something in prep for the fall.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Originally posted by Mr. Public View Post
    What, if anything, do you try to do during the summer months in preparations for the upcoming fall?

Do you make special trips?
    Look for new ground?
    Try out new things to experiment or tinker with?
    Stick to your routine? If so , what?
    What works for you?
    Camera ideas?

Or just say, “It’s too **** hot. I only want to fish!”[emoji28]

Most of me falls between too **** and hot and going fishing, but I still catch myself wanting to do something in prep for the fall.

Says the luckiest public draw hunter in the state .
    Personally I would keep doing what you're doing lol.

Comment

I've been increasing my walking distance in the mornings before work. Trying to get some distance back. Currently around 2.5 miles due to time constraints before 6:30AM. It's not like the 30 miles per week of running with 250-400 miles of cycling, and 10 miles of swimming I was doing per week 18 years ago . Running is out for me now, due to ankleosings spondylitis.

But I'm just happy I can do what little I can now. [emoji846]
      Got back on the bike last Sunday morning for the first time since Oct 2020. If I didn't have heat sickness, I'd be out riding now after work.

Sent from my SM-G981U1 using Tapatalk
      Last edited by Texas Grown; 06-16-2022, 04:18 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by MadHatter View Post
        Says the luckiest public draw hunter in the state .
        Personally I would keep doing what you're doing lol.

Ha, that luck will run out eventually as any “streak” will end. Then I better have my A Game. I’d like to plan on doing somethings different. Just want to get some different views and ideas to maybe spark some new creativity other than my own circle.

Comment

Originally posted by Texas Grown View Post
          I've been increasing my walking distance in the mornings before work. Trying to get some distance back. Currently around 2.5 miles due to time constraints before 6:30AM. It's not like the 30 miles per week of running with 250-400 miles of cycling, and 10 miles of swimming I was doing per week 18 years ago . Running is out for me now, due to ankleosings spondylitis.

But I'm just happy I can do what little I can now. [emoji846]
          Got back on the bike last Sunday morning for the first time since Oct 2020. If I didn't have heat sickness, I'd be out riding now after work.

Sent from my SM-G981U1 using Tapatalk

I wish I lived closer to a place to spend mornings at. I definitely need to get on that physical exercise training regimen as I’ve got unfinished business in Colorado to tend to this summer.
          Yes the heat is KILLER right now, and the winds! Really dilutes my desire to go fishing but I keep day dreaming of catching a STAR tagged red fish!

Comment

I once heard one of my Profs say that "it's what lies outside our jobs that motivates us to go to work." But, I say when you love your work, it's the end result that motivates us to do what we do.

Edit: hunting on public is hard work

Comment

I sit outside in a long sleeve shirt and pants so that I sweat like crazy and let the mosquitos eat my face, neck and hands for hours on end.

Best prep for early season texas public land hunting I have come up with.

Comment

Originally posted by Phorizt View Post
                I sit outside in a long sleeve shirt and pants so that I sweat like crazy and let the mosquitos eat my face, neck and hands for hours on end.

LOL! Getting hardened and tough! Yes, that is applicable! Keep those tips coming!

Comment

I do a lot of public hunting on the Sam and Sabine NFs. I work on fishing boats out in Alaska with a lot of free time so it's easy for me to say/do (I find it boring but else am I to do lmao), but it's an idea for when it's stifling hot. I simply do a lot of google earth scouting. Technology has come a long way and we can use it to our advantage. I have my go to areas, but I'm always piddling and marking spots down to go check out when I get home in late August/early September. Also I boat in so it's easy for me to mark and check out areas that most people won't make it out to.

Comment

I like to pig hunt. To me there is nothing that preps you better than doing the actual thing.
                    But I must say, as my age does up my desires goes down.

Comment

Prepping for Aransas!

Comment

Got a new bow this year, so just being working on getting it dailed and trying new fletching combinations to see what flys best. Also got some new cell cams. Just need to find the time to slip away from the family and set those out where I think they will be in Oct.

Comment

As long as you're not seeing deer this is perfect practice for a real east Texas hunt!
                          Last edited by Roperyoung; 06-17-2022, 02:13 PM. Reason: .

Comment

Originally posted by StickFlinger View Post
                            I do a lot of public hunting on the Sam and Sabine NFs. I work on fishing boats out in Alaska with a lot of free time so it's easy for me to say/do (I find it boring but else am I to do lmao), but it's an idea for when it's stifling hot. I simply do a lot of google earth scouting. Technology has come a long way and we can use it to our advantage. I have my go to areas, but I'm always piddling and marking spots down to go check out when I get home in late August/early September. Also I boat in so it's easy for me to mark and check out areas that most people won't make it out to.

I piddle a lot on google earth too, I use it a lot for work and always end up getting side tracked looking for deer stuff or where/how I’d hunt it.

I have been playing with the idea of brining a boat back for the fall to get some better access.

Comment

Originally posted by Paycheck View Post
                              I like to pig hunt. To me there is nothing that preps you better than doing the actual thing.
                              But I must say, as my age does up my desires goes down.

I will need to do just this as I have new limbs to install and reset up my bow. Fine tunes the feet stalking skills and gets any bugs out before it’s BIG game time

Comment

Working...
                              X