• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Executor compensation as the will dies

There are lots of options here.
    5% from the estate.

Anybody do anything differently?

It would depend on the situation. It cost to have the will probated so that should come from the estate and not your pocket. For family I would not expect any compensation. Someone thought enough of you to name you as an executor , so I would consider it an honor to do it. With that being said if there is any fussing and fighting about who gets what than I would explain that it is going to start costing them.

Comment

Originally posted by doright View Post
      It would depend on the situation. It cost to have the will probated so that should come from the estate and not your pocket. For family I would not expect any compensation. Someone thought enough of you to name you as an executor , so I would consider it an honor to do it. With that being said if there is any fussing and fighting about who gets what than I would explain that it is going to start costing them.
      This. Siblings fighting or fussing over who gets what turns my stomach. All I ever wanted was what I worked for and being executor for family should be done for nothing IMO.

Comment

How does a will die ??

I've always considered it an honor.
        And expect, nothing in return..
        But, that's just me....

Comment

^this

Comment

Compensation for doing your duty as was faithfully entrusted to you? Or maybe I’m not understanding something. Never heard of such a thing. I was executor of my parents will and all I thought about was following my mothers wishes in a fair and expedient manner.
            Also, what does “as the will dies” mean?

Comment

Originally posted by doright View Post
              x2

Comment

Originally posted by Geezy Rider View Post
                Compensation for doing your duty as was faithfully entrusted to you? Or maybe I’m not understanding something. Never heard of such a thing. I was executor of my parents will and all I thought about was following my mothers wishes in a fair and expedient manner.
                Also, what does “as the will dies” mean?
                I think he means compensation as in reimbursement for estate administration expenses?

We are coming to the final stages of having my FIL will fully probated, and we are out of pocket a little over $40K at this point with paying lawyers, mortgage, truck notes, utilities, etc etc... it's not a fast process and we have been footing the bill for everything for 11-1/2 months as of today...

at least I think thats what he means?

Comment

Originally posted by JTRichardson View Post
                  I think he means compensation as in reimbursement for estate administration expenses?

We are coming to the final stages of having my FIL will fully probated, and we are out of pocket a little over $40K at this point with paying lawyers, mortgage, truck notes, utilities, etc etc... it's not a fast process and we have been footing the bill for everything for 11-1/2 months as of today...

I don’t think so because he is talking percentages, not reimbursements.

Comment

Originally posted by Bucknaked View Post
                    I don’t think so because he is talking percentages, not reimbursements.
                    in that case I have no idea what (if any) they should be entitled to other than costs associate with probating the will and anything named to them in the will.

Have never thought of a compensation for being the executor, but after seeing what my wife has had to go through with this, I could understand it being a thing.

Comment

The executer of our will gets the entire estate. If he doesn't like it then he can take it up with himself!

Comment

Executor compensation and payment of estate expenses are separate issues. OP appears to be inquiring what folk offer up for compensation to the estate’s executor. Depends is best answer. If the executor is a family member and/or a beneficiary, I’d say zero compensation is reasonable and acceptable. If the executor is neither of those, pay them what you’d expect to be paid. Base it on your relationship with the executor; how big of a favor would you do for him while living?

Comment

Originally posted by JTRichardson View Post

Texas is a probate friendly state, so whoever’s estate you are settling must be something more than a simple estate. Nevertheless, the executor should not have to pay those expenses. Normally, the executor, once they are fully confirmed by the probate court which shouldn’t take more than a few weeks after the will is presented for probated, would set up a bank account in the name of the estate to pay the bills. You must have one of SabineHunter’s attorneys!

OP, as several have posted, most family members don’t charge to settle a relative’s estate, but they are legally able to do so. Many Wills will state “fair and reasonable” compensation to the executor/executrix.

Comment

hmmm, I interpret that the deceased ask whomever to be executor and that their wish/request was the executor to be compensated for their effort. I think it is a nice gesture fore the deceased to to, knowing there was a lot to be done.

Comment

Originally posted by Burnadell View Post
                              Texas is a probate friendly state, so whoever’s estate you are settling must be something more than a simple estate. Nevertheless, the executor should not have to pay those expenses. Normally, the executor, once they are fully confirmed by the probate court which shouldn’t take more than a few weeks after the will is presented for probated, would set up a bank account in the name of the estate to pay the bills. You must have one of SabineHunter’s attorneys!

OP, as several have posted, most family members don’t charge to settle a relative’s estate, but they are legally able to do so. Many Wills will state “fair and reasonable” compensation to the executor/executrix.
                              The estate itself (bank accounts, etc.) didn't have any money to speak of, there was a business involved, a REALLY REALLY bad lawyer that came highly regarded from a suggestion on here, and a weird 4 way (uneven percentage) split between finances and property, so the account that we set up for the estate had no money to pay these bills. We finally, after 10 months of begging the lawyer that we have been paying EVERY SINGLE MONTH for some kind of advice or guidance, got the "approval" to go ahead and sell the house/property.

I heard it was supposed to be easy enough, but I would definitely suggest that no one in the Houston/Tomball area use Beck and Associates for this kind of legal work. The attorney assigned to us from there has been the absolute worst and we get a bill every single month for absolutely nothing being done.

Comment

Working...
                              X