Trinity River NWR Hirsch Unit???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trinity River NWR Hirsch Unit???

I drew the rifle hunt at The Trinity River NWR Hirsch Unit.

Anyone on here hunted at this location? I searched and the results mostly mention McGuire Unit, Brierwood Unit or Boars Den Unit... Only thing I found on Hirsch is like 8-10 years ago.

I'm sure it's like the others and probably covered up in hogs. Which is fine by me! I'll pop hogs all day long.

Just wanting to see if anyone has hunted it in recent years since it came online in the Drawn Hunt system. Something more recent would be nice...

Thanks for any info if anyone has any!

I drew this permit as well, I've heard that there's some good deer in that area but idk. I was looking on the maps earlier to see if there was a place close by to camp but didn't really find anything. Guess ill just have to wake up earlier to make the drive from conroe.

Comment

Yeah, I'm SE of Houston. I plan to just drive in each day. I also plan to go do some scouting soon. You can access it this time of year just for day use activities. Hiking, birding, etc. I'll be scouting.

I'm sure it's covered up in pigs because the other units that have info on here mention that, I'm fine with that and will shoot my fair share of pigs.

Comment

I got drawn too ,I hope it's worth it ,I can't even find an entrance besides by the river, lots of private all around

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

Comment

I got drawn for the archery hunt, been out to scout one time and looked like no one had been out there in months. TPWD says 18 permits were available, anyone else know anyone hunting archery in this unit?

Comment

Not to discourage anyone from at least giving it a try, but I'm gonna go ahead and say it, this place sucks

Comment

Originally posted by philipolsen View Post
              Not to discourage anyone from at least giving it a try, but I'm gonna go ahead and say it, this place sucks

Can you elaborate?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I've done a little scouting prior to archery season. nothing but raccoons on my cameras. Got drawn for rifle season and may not even go... It is a swamp and it stays wet! I wouldn't waste your time!

Comment

Also, I've read that the locals poach the Sh*t out of these units....

On Google Earth you can make out ATV trails leading off of private land onto the NWR... It's a shame that they don't maintain these units properly....
                  Last edited by Yakinthebox; 10-05-2021, 04:58 AM.

Comment

there are spiders everywhere, impossible to avoid them, I spent more time wiping spiders web off my face then I did hunting. I wouldn't say I'm scared of spiders, but never fun to walk face first into a web

Comment

Well I bought the permit. Might as well sit at least one time. I’ll let y’all know how it goes.

Comment

I seen a lot of locals by the unit that look like they probably survive off the woods, rough area by the Hirsch unit

Comment

I've complained about these units every year for the last three years. And I've complained about how they're maintained by the park management in the survey. If you want to locally hunt Sam Houston is a far better option. With the new preference point system it sucks to put in for these hunts when there is great NWR lands to win instead. It's just a waste of preference points.

Comment

Originally posted by Bigblue25 View Post
                            I seen a lot of locals by the unit that look like they probably survive off the woods, rough area by the Hirsch unit

Ten Four! There's a couple places right near the entrance that look like hillbilly deluxe/Methville USA. I was worried about parking out there honestly but so far no issues. On the flipside, there's a couple places that look nice and well maintained.

Comment

Originally posted by Abrooks118 View Post
                              Well I bought the permit. Might as well sit at least one time. I’ll let y’all know how it goes.

Same, I bought it b4 I scouted. Now I know. I will more than likely hunt it at least a couple times. Don't know if you don't go...

Comment

Working...
                              X