Firearm Packing Rules for Travel to South Africa

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Firearm Packing Rules for Travel to South Africa

Gentlemen, getting close to our trip to South Africa. Any special or specific rules for flying into Johannesburg with Two rifles?

I have the rifles in a big pelican case. Intend to put some TSA locks on the case and transport the ammo in a second locked case in my checked bag. Are two locks sufficient on the rifle case? TSA locks on ammo box?

We have paid for the firearm import package through PHASA so importation is not my concern. More concerned with the dos and don'ts for that country.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

I would suggest using non TSA locks. That will ensure that no one will be able to open them without you being present. It would be awful to open an empty case at your destination!

Comment

Read the policy for the airline.

Last time I flew (domestic) United required non TSA locks

Comment

Anybody flown Delta to South Africa recently? I can't find any decent information on their website.

Comment

Originally posted by Jon B View Post
          Anybody flown Delta to South Africa recently? I can't find any decent information on their website.
          Not recently, but in August of 2017 I went. Only brought a shotgun but I had it in a pelican case, I put a lock on every location I could(I think it was 4?) and had zero issues. It was super straight forward. Guide had me fill out the necessary paperwork, he picked me up at the airport and walked me over to where you get your firearms. SA folks had me open it up, they double checked paperwork against model/serial number. Blessed everything off and we were off to the races.

Comment

Up for additional advice. Can't get a human being on the phone at Delta.

Comment

When I went, the gentlemen I traveled with was a veteran African hunter. He absolutely insisted that we put duct tape over the locks. He carried a roll in his bag and every time we had to open the case for an inspection, we put new tape over the locks. Plan on putting a lock at each end so someone can't wedge open a corner to pull your gun out.

Comment

personally I wouldn't put both guns in one case but would separate them into one in each. Yeah its a hassle but just in case one gets lost or something, you'd hopefully still have the one until the other shows up. Airlines will lose anything.

Comment

Shooting Equipment
                  Shooting equipment is allowed as checked baggage only. It must fit within the very specific criteria that we outline below.

Declare to the Delta representative that you are checking a firearm
                  Declare the existence of a firearm to security personnel if there's a security checkpoint before the Delta counter
                  All firearms must be declared by the passenger to a Delta representative at the main ticket counter
                  Present firearm(s) unloaded and sign a "Firearms Unloaded" declaration
                  Firearms must be packed in a locked manufacturer's hard-sided container specifically designed for the firearm, a locked hard–sided gun case or a locked hard-sided piece of luggage. Handguns may be packed in a locked hard-sided gun case, and then packed inside an unlocked soft-sided piece of luggage. However, a Conditional Acceptance Tag must be used in this case
                  Maintain entry permits in your possession for the country or countries of destination or transit
                  Ensure small arms ammunition is packed in the manufacturer's original package or securely packed in fiber, wood, plastic or metal boxes and provide separation for cartridges
                  You are responsible for knowledge of and compliance with all Federal, State or local laws regarding the possession and transportation of firearms. For more information about this regulation you can visit the TSA website, opens in a new window.
                  If you are transporting a firearm to the United Kingdom, a permit from the United Kingdom is specifically required. You must contact the United Kingdom for more information about securing this permit
                  Until further advised, passengers departing Brussels, Belgium are not allowed to check weapons including, antique, sporting, hunting or toy rifles in their checked baggage
                  Customer must be 18 years of age or older
                  All firearms checked as baggage must be picked up at the Baggage Service Office upon arrival at your final destination. ID will be required to claim your checked firearm
                  The following types of ammunition are not accepted:

Gun powder; such as Pyrodex or Black Powder
                  Ammunition with explosive or incendiary projectiles
                  Ammunition, including case, exceeding 11 pounds (5 kg) gross weight per passenger
                  Pistols and accessories must be included in one case and contain:

Pistol telescopes
                  Noise suppressors
                  A small pistol tool case
                  No more than 11 lbs. (5 kg) of ammunition, including case
                  Rifles and shotguns must be packaged as follows:

One hard sided case containing up to four rifles, shotguns, shooting materials, tools
                  The case must completely secure the firearm from being accessed. All areas designed to be locked must be locked.
                  Locked cases that can be easily opened are not permitted. Be aware that the container the firearm was in when purchased may not adequately secure the firearm when it is transported in checked baggage.
                  One hard sided case containing up to five handguns, one scope, tools
                  One bow and quiver of arrows and maintenance kit enclosed in a case or container strong enough to protect the bow and quiver from accidental damage
                  No more than 11 lbs. (5 kg) of ammunition, including case
                  An excess baggage fee will apply if checking more than one gun case.

AMMUNITION – SOUTH AFRICA
                  Weapons and ammunition departing from South Africa must be packed in a small box or case. That box or case must be locked and place inside checked baggage. Ammunition cannot be stored in the same case as the weapon. These guidelines must be met in addition to packing and declaring firearms guidelines required on Delta Air Lines.

Comment

Make sure all lock locations have a lock in place. Non TSA locks on guncase, TSA locks fine on ammo box

Comment

Go research on Africahunting.com.

As mentioned, one of the most recent "rules" is a lock in every possible locking mechanism on the case. If there are four, then four locks. You can't just put a couple. Also as mentioned, use non-TSA locks. Separate ammo and put inside your checked bag.

Comment

Originally posted by Jon B View Post
                        We have paid for the firearm import package through PHASA so importation is not my concern.
                        Great call on using PHASA. You might also take a look at RiflePermits.com who works closely with the South African Police Services. One hand washes the other sort of thing.

RiflePermits.com offers a VIP service where they meet you at the gate as soon as you arrive. I can't recall the cost, but it was reasonable.

Their reps are locals and with our trips to ZA, they walked us to the front of the line at Customs and we breezed through. They will also stay with you through the whole process in JoBurg until you pick you bang sticks.

And if you're catching another flight within ZA, they'll help you check your bags and guns for the domestic.

This service is not absolutely necessary, but it sure is nice. Especially skipping the sea of humanity at Customs where not everyone shares the same level of person hygiene.

Comment

tsa locks

Originally posted by bowhuntntxn View Post
                          I would suggest using non TSA locks. That will ensure that no one will be able to open them without you being present. It would be awful to open an empty case at your destination!
                          If you do not use TSA locks then the locks may be cut off and the plastic tie locks will be used- less secure.

Comment

Originally posted by Ronnie41 View Post
                            If you do not use TSA locks then the locks may be cut off and the plastic tie locks will be used- less secure.
                            If you are counting on a lock or locks to keep your items from getting stolen I've got news for you. Locks are for honest people.

Comment

Originally posted by Ronnie41 View Post

Wasn’t true when I flew with a handgun. Regular old brass combination locks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Working...
                              X