No announcement yet.

Drawn JD Murphee

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Me and my son went 2 for two last year on a 6 and 8 footer we were I. The deep wide canal back past the highway.

I put my chicken quarters in mesh bags before I put them in the bucket the day before our hunt blended up a tub of chicken livers and two cans of sardines and poured it over the top. When I set the baits I drizzled the putrid nasty Juice over the top and it sent a chum/oil slick out into the canal,

They hunt by smell so be mindful of the predominant wind direction when setting baits try and have the wind pushing scent down or across the canal not up onto land

Comment

Originally posted by Mbbriggs05 View Post
      I live 15-20 minutes from there and have some buddies that duck hunt the snot out of it. I will see if they can share locations of where they have seen some of the bigger ones.
      I live about 8 miles away. From 1975 to maybe 1995 I hunted ducks almost every weekend…… during the season.

Great times and hundreds of ducks in the boat but it’s a lot of work and getting up in years made me not so enthusiastic.

It is or was great hunting for public land.

Comment

Make it a live event!

Comment

Anyone else draw this unit?

Comment

You should decline the hunt, as mine still showed pending second draw so I still have a chance lol. Well congrats and definitely do a live hunt if possible

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I drew that hunt 3 out of my first 4 years applying, Harvey cancelled my last hunt. Haven’t drawn it since. Good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by Jon B View Post
                So jealous. I don't even have a boat but was hoping to draw!

Curious how you planned to do the hunt without a boat?

Or is that an excuse to buy one

Comment

Pending 2nd for us too. We drew there 2 years ago, I did a live thread on it. Met several other TBHers there, great hunt. I caught a7’3 and my uncle took a big old 10’3 gator. Trying to get my on drawn, they’re pending 2nd too.

Comment

Originally posted by solocam_aggie View Post
                    Curious how you planned to do the hunt without a boat?

Or is that an excuse to buy one

He could rent mine

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Comment

Anyone have any pics from there? Curious if everyone launches at same ramp and if so what ramp? Also would like to see the levee roller deal

Comment

I have pics but nothing of the ramp or the rollers

The ramp is 150 yards and over the levee from the office. Great ramp. The only issue when we went was the floating barricade to keep the invasive grass from the ramp. You have to get a slight running start, trim up and scoot over it and drop motor down. They should let you park your boat by the office over night as well.

On our hunt no one had to use the rollers. I can see how that could be an issue of youre alone but I find it highly unlikely those guys would do that to you. Some arent that steep and some Id think only a airboat could manage.

There is lots of public ground there also so you'll prolly see private sets for gators along with boats. They arent exactly marked but the guys running the hunt arent gonna just cut you loose. They will show you the boundary both on the map and in person. If you have a GPS take it just in case. Id throw a manchette in the boat as well

Responding to your PM and will include my number if you want

Comment

Originally posted by Elite13 View Post
                          Anyone have any pics from there? Curious if everyone launches at same ramp and if so what ramp? Also would like to see the levee roller deal
                          Everybody launches from the same ramp there in the park. The first afternoon, they will lead you out to your compartment in their boat; you just follow them out. Quackerbox is right, they will let you store your boat on your trailer by their office overnight.

We were able to shoot one small one (~6') with a bowfishing rig the first afternoon while scouting for bait locations. We set two baits overnight, but didn't catch on either. The weather had gotten chilly and apparently gators don't really eat when it's cold.

PRO TIP - Put the hook in the bait BEFORE you let it rot in the bucket.

PM me with any questions.

Comment

elite

your box is full

Comment

Comment

My old stomping grounds…lots of gators, should be a fun hunt.

Comment

Working...
                                X