No announcement yet.

Dogs Running off at Lease/Woods?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have a shorthair that hunts big and in brushy country he can get out of sight. I don't like to shock him unless he can see me so I have a Garmin Alpha. Having the GPS letting me know his location is nice.

Comment

Originally posted by AntlerCollector View Post
      If the shock collar won’t fix your dog then you need a new dog
      Or another land owner May take care of him!

Comment

Originally posted by scott1022 View Post
        I'm pretty sure that he's been swatted a time or two because he normally stays a little over an arm length away.
        Aside from this cat whipping his ***, this one's been hit by skunks 7 times, direct hits. He comes back and rolls in the sand like he's trying to scrape his skin off. Just gotta get that sniff!

Comment

Originally posted by txbowman12 View Post
          Not that hard to train a dog, especially lab mix. I don't advise slapping an e-collar on it and zapping away at it. That's not going to end well for you or the dog. It's an excellent training tool but needs to be introduced properly if you want good results.

Pick up the waterdog book and focus on the obedience parts. I couldn't get my lab to run away from me if I wanted him too.

This right here. I wont tell other people how to raise kids or train a dog. But if you want positive results. Teach, then train, and finally test. I am a huge fan of shock collars and other corrective measures. But just letting a dog ride the lightning is not going to give positive results. Not saying you wont get results, but a dog that does not have obedience is a training issue and not a dog issue.

Comment

Cats never run off

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Comment

I’ve always been fortunate enough to have dogs that I was able to train to come to me when called. If I ever had one that didn’t I wouldn’t go after it.

Comment

I wish I could get my wife's dogs to run off. Hell I'd shock them if they tried to come back!

Comment

Originally posted by sharkhunter View Post
                  ..... She’s got papers a mile long so I can’t just let her go......
                  And this is why papers dont mean squat LOL.
                  People will hold onto a cull because of what it "should be"

Comment

Originally posted by Trapper76 View Post
                    A dog that don’t listen and fun’s off, is free to go wherever he likes. Without me looking for him.
                    Yep. I dog who loves you want run. All others get to ride the lightning!

Comment

Ride the lighting feel the fire!!!! Ooooowww!!! Yes read waterdog don’t just start giving your dog hell as he runs off saying goodbye puppy then start laying on the coals till he pees himself.

Comment

What training/shock collars are you all using?

I see the Garmin Alpha listed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I had a border collie given to me when it was about a year old. I did the wireless shock collar trick and it worked!
                          Until, I was out in the front when I saw her running away down the drive. I knew when the collar would kick in and it did. Dog was yelping bloody murder but kept running and after about 5 seconds stopped crying and kept running. Dang dog figured out it could outlast the shock and be free, free at last! Smart dog but got run over catching a car on the black top.

Comment

My lab broke out of the back yard and ran off twice when she was a puppy. She just grew out of it around 1 year old and doesn't need to be leashed at all anywhere.

Comment

My dog was abandoned in the woods so she never left my side when I found her. When she went deaf, she would always go roaming to check on neighbors when we went outside. She would walk 200 ft and look back. If I wasn't waving for her, she never looked back. She always knew she could go to my aunts for a treat and get a ride back home from her.

Comment

My question for the OP, you say the dog was a “runner” his first year of ownership. Did you do anything yourself to try get rid of that behavior (training) or you’re just hoping he’s taught himself to not run off??

A dog doesn’t just “control himself”. An owner should be in control and teach what he is supposed to be doing.

Comment

Working...
                                X