Shingles II. 12 days in

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Hogmauler View Post
    This is the reason I’m sharing this unpleasant journey. Hopefully it will remind the geezers among us that this is a crap shoot. I got vaccinated six years ago and still came down with it. According to NP it was lessened by previous vaccine. Folks this is lessened and still hail.
    I go to the gym several times a week. Walk several miles a week, and lift weights. And apparently my immune system was still compromised enough to develope this. Go figure.
    Again, not pushing vaccine. I’m pushing research, and do what’s best for you.

I hate you're dealing with this, and hope you feel better soon. When you were vaccinated, was it 2 shots, between 3 and 6 months apart? My grandfather used to get really bad cases and said it was extremely painful. I got the vaccine within the last year, I am hoping it will prevent me from getting it. You getting it in spite of the vaccine doesn't give me a lot of hope.

Comment

No. The single shot was only available. I will get the Shingrix if I’m eligible after I’m through this. I never thought about my rigorous workouts may be suppressing my immune system!

Comment

I hope mine never flares up. I’m pretty sure I got one vaccine but I can’t remember if I got the follow up shot.

Comment

I got them when I was 39, shortly after my mom died. Right leg, right rib cage on the side, and back. I have never experienced pain like shingles. Hope I never have to endure that again.

Comment

Nerve block like Gabapentin was a blessing for me when I had them.

Comment

Yes it’s weird that way. It only affects one side of your body. Mine is the right side. Rash starts in the middle of my back and follows my rib cage up to the middle of my abdomen. All my skin from my junk up to the base of my neck on that side is sore. At night there is a deep ache that I have to take Tylenol or ibuprofen for. That dulls the pain. But it hasn’t left yet.

Comment

sorry to hear.

So I got the Shingrix shots in 2020-2021 but I got the follow-up shot about 3-4 mo. out from the first one. Hopefully this works better than just the single dose you're talking about.

Comment

Dr said it was worse case he has ever seen. It was horrible I was off work and didn’t do a thing for 6 weeks. Had it on back of my neck which moved to side of my face and got in my ear. Screwed up my equilibrium so bad my wife had to help me crawl to the bathroom. Also had Bell’s palsy so it was real fun to eat and drink. Still use a fork sometimes to scratch back of my neck where most damage was.

Comment

Shingles got me good a few years ago. Dr prescribed gabapentin and it helped big time.

Comment

I used Gabapentin and Lidocaine cream. That helped with the everyday pain.

Comment

Our son used to take gabapentin for seizures. Called my doc and couldn’t see him until august.

Comment

Originally posted by Hogmauler View Post
                          Our son used to take gabapentin for seizures. Called my doc and couldn’t see him until august.
                          My doc gave me 400mg of gabapenton. She said when I have a serious shingles event that I can take up to three gabapenton 3 times daily. Mine manifest in my chest. I already deal with chronic respiratory failure so it’s a real struggle. I keep an ample supply of cannabis on hand to keep my respiratory system clear. It is a godsend for pain related issues as well. I pretty much save the gabapenton for my senior dogs.

Comment

I had shingles when I was in my 30's. Had them on one side of the roof of my mouth and down the same side of my throat. It was after a surgery to remove a cyst off my neck. I am very pain tolerant so the pain was bearable. They were still a nuisance to eat and drink.

Comment

Thank God I have a higher pain tolerance as well. But this mess has breached that barrier.

Comment

Praying for you.

Several years ago a friend came down with them. At the time I wasn’t familiar with it. The friend had them all over his back. The main thing I recall is how painful he said it was. Sorry you’re going through this. I pray for healing and quick deliverance from all pain and discomfort.

Comment

Working...
                                X