ISO Jetty/port A Fishing partner

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ISO Jetty/port A Fishing partner

Hey guys! My family and I will be down in Port A/Corpus area from Sunday till Thursday next week and I usually do a lot of deep sea and pier fishing. Last year I gave jetty fishing a shot but didn’t have much luck due to poor planning on my part. Anyone down there want to go out and fish a bit. I have my own stuff just need someone to show me the ropes. I only go down once a year for a few days…. So I can’t take your spot or secrets lol
    I will bring beer, or a drink of your choice! Thanks

Good luck. You fishing the north Jetty?
    Targeting shark, trout, reds?

Comment

Part of the plan

Comment

I can’t go this coming week, but I fish the jetties occasionally and have learned a bit over the years. I’ll fish an outgoing tide on the surf side of the jetty. Starting in the first gut and following the tide out bouncing down eventually ending up fishing the 3rd gut. Live croaker fished on bottom or shrimp under a cork work great. Pretty much can catch most inshore species fishing like this. Move out a bit and beef up your gear/leader to catch jacks and kingfish. Some people use wire leaders but I find a heavy mono leader works well too. Tossing 3oz spoons, big swim baits, or topwater plugs will draw strikes from these 2 primarily but I’ve hooked 2 tarpon this way also. I know people like the north jetty but you can do well on the south side. If you choose to fish the channel side bring plenty of terminal tackle and expect to lose plenty of it. Or, you can throw those big spoons and jig them for bull reds. Just let them sink a bit before cranking them back in. Jacks and kings can be inside the jetties too. You can catch fish on either tide but outgoing has been my most productive

Comment

FYI the Houston Pipeliners Fishout is this Saturday in Port A. I’d avoid it till Sunday, should be about 250 boats in the tournament.

Comment

Thanks for the info. Great how to stick! Appreciate it! I will not be out till Tuesday most likely! Still would love to see anyone in the area

Comment

Anyone have any experience with the Offshore Angler brand out of Cabelas? Thinking about buying one of their offshore combos

Comment

PM sent!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Comment

Check out Thresherfishing on you tube. He does a ton of fishing on the jettys and shares some good info

Comment

Hunt Life thanks for reaching out! Blood trail I will look into that! Thanks guys!

So I ended up making my own setup. Got a 9' heavy ugly stick and a offshore angler spinning reel with 45lb drag that can take 80lb braid. Looks like a solid set up from what I can see online. I couldn't buy any spoons due to it being DFW. Can you recommend size, color and brand that I could buy when I get down there? Thanks

Comment

Duplicate
                      Last edited by J Loves Huntin; 06-03-2022, 10:50 PM. Reason: Duplicate

Comment

2-3oz sea striker silver spoon.
                        Storm wild eye 6” swim bait
                        Tuna popper- any brand is fine.
                        Lastly, a yozuri sub-surface sinking twitch bait.

Minus the popper, most of this is reel then stop, then reel again type baits. I don’t work them slow at all but I do let them sinking some before starting retrieve. Gotta be ready for a strike any time that bait is in the water. I’ve had jacks and kings dang near hit the rocks chasing a bait that I was reeling in.

Comment

2-3oz sea striker silver spoon.
                          Storm wild eye 6” swim bait
                          Tuna popper- any brand is fine.
                          Lastly, a yozuri sub-surface sinking twitch bait.

Minus the popper, most of this is reel then stop, then reel again type baits. I don’t work them slow at all but I do let them sinking some before starting retrieve. Gotta be ready for a strike any time that bait is in the water. I’ve had jacks and kings dang near hit the rocks chasing a bait that I was reeling in.

Comment

2-3oz sea striker spoons
                            6” storm wild eye swim baits
                            Tuna poppers- any brand
                            Yozuri sub-surface twitch baits

Comment

2-3oz sea striker spoons
                              6” storm wild eye swim baits
                              Tuna poppers- any brand
                              Yozuri sub-surface twitch baits

Comment

Working...