Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Nilgai hunt leaving in two days- any last min advice?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Randy View Post
    Shoot them in the head makes a short tracking job.
    DO NOT DO THIS if he will be mounted.. I just finished putting a skull cap back together because of this from a .308... Shot between the eyes and busted into 3 pieces.. It also split the backside of one of the horns from the base to the tip.. Huge 10 1/4" bull too..

Good luck on the hunt..

Comment

I’m looking at hunting nilgai this year. Would y’all recommend the outfitter OP is going with or King Ranch? I’ll be using 35 Whelen with 200 grain bonded at 2850 FPS. Any critiques on my round of choice?

Comment

Following thread. I've gotten really interested lately in going on a nilgai hunt.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Comment

Yeah. Aim center shoulder and hit him till he’s dead.

Comment

When I went years ago at the Kennedy Ranch … we were told 30.06 180 grain minimum and have a second shooter ready. Unfortunately we never got a shot, but we did do some damage on some hogs. We were told not to lock our trucks. Just leave them empty and put a backpack nearby with food and water. You figured it out quickly why
            Attached Files
            Last edited by Masmak; 01-25-2022, 07:59 PM.

Comment

You’re list is similar to mine. I leave next week Tuesday to hunt near Raymondville also. I’m on a public land rifle hunt though so no guide and no help.

300 winmag, shooting 180g SST, zeroed at 200.

Oh and some big arse coolers!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by txoutdoorsman24 View Post
                You’re list is similar to mine. I leave next week Tuesday to hunt near Raymondville also. I’m on a public land rifle hunt though so no guide and no help.

300 winmag, shooting 180g SST, zeroed at 200.

Oh and some big arse coolers!!!!
                Good luck to you too then! I'll be at Teniente for the rifle hunt with my son at the end of February. You hunting there also or one of the other units?

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Comment

Good luck on the hunt! My hunt last year was one of the best hunts I've done. You've got it covered with the info you shared.

Comment

Sounds like a bunch of guys going after them in the coming weeks, maybe we need a 2022 Nilgai thread to dump pics, and post updates to???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Is a 7mag enough gun for a Nilgai?

Comment

Originally posted by AntlerCollector View Post
                        Is a 7mag enough gun for a Nilgai?

Ben shot a meat bull with his 7mag a couple years ago, went about 90 yards with a low shoulder shot. His brother Zac shot one with it too, but it covered enough ground that it couldn’t be found until the following day. I can’t remember where it was hit, or how far it traveled.

I think the 7Mag is fine with a tough, heavy bullet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I'm headed down to the Teniete 2/3 - 2/6. Hopefully we will have some luck.

Comment

They will get you on bulls in a hurry

In case nobody mentioned it, spray your pants, boots and shirts, jacket with permethrin

I killed my bull after a belly crawl thru grass and the chiggars got me good

Worth it though

You will have a great trip with insight

Comment

Originally posted by JackRyan View Post
                              Good luck to you too then! I'll be at Teniente for the rifle hunt with my son at the end of February. You hunting there also or one of the other units?

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk
                              No sir, I’ll be at La Sal Del Rey. Just down the road. Thanks and good luck to y’all too

Comment

Originally posted by brokeno View Post
                                I'm headed down to the Teniete 2/3 - 2/6. Hopefully we will have some luck.
                                Hope y’all can make it happen. I’ll be down the road on the same dates La Sal Del Rey. Where are y’all staying? I have some decent spots for Teniente for bow hunting. Might work out for rifle too if you’re interested

Comment

Working...
                                X