Bownanza 101?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bownanza 101?

For those of us that have never been to one, what is the Bownanza from dummies version of things to know? If you can't stay near on Friday night, what time do folks start showing up on Saturday? Is this primarily a cook-off type environment? I see talk about teams... do you have to be on a team and how do you go about doing that if you don't know anyone? Family friendly?

I will be there next weekend for the first time so just wanted to know what to expect.

It looks like it's going to be a little different this year, but you'll still have a great time. It's like a family reunion. Teams get together and cook, while people walk around and sample the different foods. Teams don't compete, or have a cook off. We didn't join a team the first year and didn't know anyone. We were kind of lost and wondering around. The following 2 years we joined a team and had a much better time. Friday night and Saturday night are the before and after parties. I would consider it still kid friendly, unless you don't want your kids around people consuming adult beverages. The times I've been, it just seems like hanging out at deer camp and shooting the bull.

Comment

Treat GOF’s with the utmost respect and you’ll live to attend a second Nanza.
      Eat, drink and be merry.

Comment

Originally posted by Muskles View Post
        It looks like it's going to be a little different this year, but you'll still have a great time. It's like a family reunion. Teams get together and cook, while people walk around and sample the different foods. Teams don't compete, or have a cook off. We didn't join a team the first year and didn't know anyone. We were kind of lost and wondering around. The following 2 years we joined a team and had a much better time. Friday night and Saturday night are the before and after parties. I would consider it still kid friendly, unless you don't want your kids around people consuming adult beverages. The times I've been, it just seems like hanging out at deer camp and shooting the bull.
        Good review.

All I can say this year is.... go with an open mind
        This year everything will be different due to being, temporarily, back at a park that does not allow us to do what we used to do anymore. We will not have as many teams ....but we will definitely have a few. Also appears a lower amount of attendance.... but the hard core peeps will be there for sure (consider that a challenge TBH'ers)

Comment

Thanks. Any particular time that things get going on Saturday? I'm not a drinker but I can sure eat!

Comment

Originally posted by Pineywoods View Post
            Thanks. Any particular time that things get going on Saturday? I'm not a drinker but I can sure eat!
            I don't remember if the park opens at 7 or 8, but if you're not on a team, the people on teams won't have time to visit. Probably really kicks off between 10 & 12...in my experience.

Comment

don’t get stuck in the elevator

Comment

New rule, the FNGs have to bring a 5th of Patron.

Comment

I wish this was my first one but I have a crappie fishing trip on Rayburn that weekend I will make one eventually

Comment

Seems like the last one I went to there were people trickling in at daylight.

Think some had never been to bed and just made their way over from the hotel.

I don't remember anyone doing any kind of breakfast team though

Comment

Originally posted by BTLowry View Post
                      Seems like the last one I went to there were people trickling in at daylight.

Think some had never been to bed and just made their way over from the hotel.

I don't remember anyone doing any kind of breakfast team though
                      Team Gordita has some breakfast. I think the last few times I had been awake all night and had a few breakfast tacos before I stumbled over to the parking lot. Not going to be able to make it this year. But highly encourage anyone to go that hasn't been.

Comment

Originally posted by Hoggslayer View Post
                        New rule, the FNGs have to bring a 5th of Patron.

I like the way you think sir.

Comment

I can’t speak for this year but Team Rib generally fires up before the sun and the the other teams & peeps filter in mid to late morning.

This year is gonna be off but it will still be a great time.

Comment

I went last year for the first time not knowing anyone. I seemed a little lost I guess and Michael made a point to introduce himself and start introducing me to others. Before long it was like being with old friends. Wish I could be there this year but I have to be at an annual family event with my Dad. I might can make it late Saturday. Great food and even better people.

Comment

Originally posted by Chew View Post
                              Team Gordita has some breakfast. I think the last few times I had been awake all night and had a few breakfast tacos before I stumbled over to the parking lot. Not going to be able to make it this year. But highly encourage anyone to go that hasn't been.
                              I think I read team gordita isn't going to be there this year. We're not going to be able to make it this year either.

Comment

Working...
                              X