My trailer tire fell off

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My trailer tire fell off

Hauling some things to my lease this weekend with my 20 foot flat bed trailer. As I pulled into our lease gate I feel something bump and look in mirror - one of my trailer tires fell off!

I have a twin axle trailer. Thanks goodness it did not happen on the highway -as you can see from the pictures it not only wallowed out my rim holes it also shredded my hub. The tire had grease all over it.

Guy at the trailer place thinks my lugs probably vibrated loose - crazy stuff
    Attached Files

Lug nuts not torqued properly.

That happened to me with my truck going 75mph! Lug nuts weren’t tightened properly causing them to vibrate and break off.

Crazy to see a tire flying by you and then realizing it’s your own. Fortunately I was towing a trailer and it helped with control.

Found my tire wedges up a tree a good 15-20’
    Attached Files

Comment

Glad all were safe.

We take our 5x10 to Texas every year for firewood. 2 years ago while I was driving down I-70 east of Denver at about 75mph we lost an entire wheel assembly on our trailer. Instant sparks and I hit the brakes and got pulled over with no issues. Never found the wheel.
      Had it loaded with pecan wood. Left it in Deer Trail for a week at a locals house til we bought a new trailer, we wanted a little bigger anyway.

Dodged a bullet and glad you and your things were ok too.

Comment

Dang.

Comment

Always always torque trailer wheels prior to travel. Truck wheels included once per month. 100-110ft lbs on trailers and trucks. Also, wheel bearings on trailer should be done 1-2xs a yr depending on trailer travel and weight

Comment

Originally posted by Antlers86 View Post

That happened to me with my truck going 75mph! Lug nuts weren’t tightened properly causing them to vibrate and break off.

Crazy to see a tire flying by you and then realizing it’s your own. Fortunately I was towing a trailer and it helped with control.

**** ! now that is crazy

Comment

Been there done that. Tire passed me up and jumped a fence.

Comment

Originally posted by Fishndude View Post
                Mine did the same thing in Bryan. Was coming down the on ramp to merge on Hwy 6. Dang tire passed me by headed up the feeder road, turned to bar ditch and nearly jump the chain link fence on the backside of McCoy’s. I was surprised it didn’t wipe somebody out.
                I just overloaded my trailer. Busted off the hub. Happened about 1pm. Took me to almost 8pm to unload my trailer on my FIL 16 footer and then winch my trailer on it. What a day that was!!!

Comment

Man I’m glad know one got hurt.

Comment

I was pulling my boat through downtown Houston many years ago. When I got on the I45 overpass in downtown. I lost a tire, it passed me, and went over the rail and flew 30-40ft below. I exited off and tried to find tire, to make sure I didn't injury anyone. I never could find that tire. Luckily I had a tandem trailer and limped into boat US in League City

Comment

I rented a U-haul trailer one time and it had big bold stickers on it saying “check lug nuts every 100-125 miles never gave it much thought before that now I do a visual and heat test on my trailer every fuel or rest stop I guess I am just getting old and my worry some

Comment

Originally posted by Fishndude View Post
                        Me too. Except the it was my front left tire on my truck going 70. I let a out a string of expletives that mankind has never heard...

Comment

Originally posted by Antlers86 View Post

That was pretty crazy. Most of the time I have seen tires come off of something rolling down the road, you neve find them again. Maybe because we were always looking on the ground and not up in the trees.

I always figured they had more energy than we though possible and went a lot farther than we cared to look.

Comment

Lost one on my boat trailer about a month ago . Crazy stuff got a new rim new studs and lugs and got her going again for the next fishing trip .

Comment

Originally posted by RifleBowPistol View Post
                              That was pretty crazy. Most of the time I have seen tires come off of something rolling down the road, you neve find them again. Maybe because we were always looking on the ground and not up in the trees.

I always figured they had more energy than we though possible and went a lot farther than we cared to look.

No matter how they hit the ground, they straighten up and go forever!

The spare slid off the back of my trailer one time. I saw it go up in the rear view mirror, it was a few seconds before it hit the ground, but it was gaining on me as I was on my brakes. I managed to hit it with the trailer and knock it in the ditch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                              X