Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2021 Gardening Thread

Originally posted by FLASH_OUTDOORS View Post
    Few tips.....you need double or triple the space you think you need. And make sure you got some pollinators around. Melons aren’t typically self pollinators. Get a few flowers in there to attract some or else you will have very poor yields. Also they need tons of water.

Edit: also if you got a seedless variety you will need to grow a seeded variety along side it. The seedless melons can’t pollinate themselves.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Thank you for the advice!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by FLASH_OUTDOORS View Post
      Few tips.....you need double or triple the space you think you need. And make sure you got some pollinators around. Melons aren’t typically self pollinators. Get a few flowers in there to attract some or else you will have very poor yields. Also they need tons of water.

Edit: also if you got a seedless variety you will need to grow a seeded variety along side it. The seedless melons can’t pollinate themselves.

Mimick all of this. Sidenote, I haven't grown watermelons in 2 yrs and they are coming up all over my garden. I gave my folks a couple of plants that came up volunteer last year and they produced. Not sure what to do with these as they are in the way lol

Comment

We have about 4000 row feet of watermelon of different variety also put in 1500’ of cantaloupe.

Watermelon will pollinate well unless they are seed less then they definitely need some type of pollinator typical a Mellon that has seeds will be enough.

Comment

First garden at the newhouse... was going to just do a small one this year but that didn’t turn out....

Started with a 40x100 for the wife and I, then I decided I want to grow cut flowers to sell and added a 40x100~ cut flower garden. Then a buddy calls me up and doesn’t have enough room to grow watermelons his farmers market so we team up and add 6000’ of melons

Comment

Man yall stuff is way farther along the mine!
            Blackfin that looks awesome. Just noticed we have the same employer. I'm in FTW district.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Comment

Four different varieties of tomatoes. Banana peppers and jalapeños.

Contender bush beans.

When my slips come in I’ll be planting some sweet potatoes in the middle of the round tub and those are more bush beans on the outer rim.

Bell peppers and zucchini. In the bare ground I just planted beets.

Herbs and also beets.

Comment

I’ve been experimenting with wicking tubs this year. My cucumbers and tatume squash are out of control. Tomatoes don’t seem to care for it. I’ve watched all the YouTubes videos, not sure what the issue is.

Comment

2021 Gardening Thread

Originally posted by basschump View Post
                  I’ve been experimenting with wicking tubs this year. My cucumbers and tatume squash are out of control. Tomatoes don’t seem to care for it. I’ve watched all the YouTubes videos, not sure what the issue is.

I was planning on doing this as well this year but have gotten too busy remodeling in the house. I was pretty well going to do a dozen or so tomatoes with the method. I’ll be anxious to hear of your results/thoughts over the next couple months.

Comment

For you guys growing squash and zucchini, how do you control the squash borers?

I have tried planting for three years, the plants take off great, start to bloom, them wilt to the ground.

Comment

Originally posted by Greenheadless View Post

I have tried planting for three years, the plants take off great, start to bloom, them wilt to the ground.
                      I will tell you what I did last year....I threw in the **** towel. I couldn't control them. There was no use in me continuing to use so much hazardous chemicals to try to control them to the point where it wasn't even going to be safe to eat anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by Greenheadless View Post

It's almost impossible. Once you get them, you shouldn't plant squash at least for a year. If I grow squash now, I usually do it in the fall and that has helped me some.

Comment

The three times I have tried were not on consecutive years.

I have pretty much thrown in the towel as well.

Comment

Originally posted by eradicator View Post
                            It's almost impossible. Once you get them, you shouldn't plant squash at least for a year. If I grow squash now, I usually do it in the fall and that has helped me some.
                            I was told not to plant for five years after.

Comment

Originally posted by El General View Post
                              I was told not to plant for five years after.
                              I believe it.

Comment

I’ve had squash borers before but it was never a long lasting deal they would kill a few plants and I’d just replant and keep them sprayed with liquid 7 or something like that.

Maybe try moving the plants to a different location.

Comment

Working...
                                X