Financial Tip of the Day - Planning

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Financial Tip of the Day - Planning

It has been a bit since my last FTOD, and for that I apologize.

I am a huge planner. I am also a bit of a numbers geek. I love to run models, financial calculations, simulations, etc...

I recently came across a very powerful and useful tool in the world of financial calculators. It is free too...

This is not your average retirement calculator, and unless you have a bit of experience with finance & modeling (think simulation, not stimulation), this could require some additional learning.

I have only run 10-15 scenarios through this tool, but it appears to be very effective at sensitivities, Monte Carlo simulations, etc....

Have a go at it and see if it might help you.

Oh this has got to be good! Not often I hear Monte Carlo/Markov Chain simulations brought up in a casual conversation

And now the rest of my day will be spent running sims

Comment

Appreciate all the tips, but this one is over my head

I am a big planner though, does that count lol

Comment

Cool site....

And remember, "If you fail to plan, you are planning to fail" - Benjamin Franklin

Comment

wish i was smart about all this, but, not even close to understanding,,

Comment

Originally posted by gingib View Post
            Appreciate all the tips, but this one is over my head

I am a big planner though, does that count lol
            Stumped me at "portfolio" lolol

Comment

I would prepare for a market crash in the near future with your investments.....

Comment

Originally posted by justletmein View Post
                Stumped me at "portfolio" lolol
                What did call me?

Comment

I am a retired financial planner - another great site is firecalc.com - also free - these calculators are invaluable to estimate how long your money will last in retirement based on certain factors - inflation, spending, length of life, etc. Good stuff - I will check this new site out

Comment

Dang glad I am retired and have everything set for hopefully a very comfortable retirement!

Comment

Originally posted by Huntingfool View Post
                      I am a retired financial planner - another great site is firecalc.com - also free - these calculators are invaluable to estimate how long your money will last in retirement based on certain factors - inflation, spending, length of life, etc. Good stuff - I will check this new site out
                      I'm impressed this site can predict your future......

Comment

I like Firecalc also.

Comment

You sound like someone with experience. I have only used Fidelity's calculators. Are those decent, reliable, outdated, believable? I have managed mine myself & done OK but at age 60, I'm thinking of using professionals.

Comment

Originally posted by eradicator View Post
                            I'm impressed this site can predict your future......
                            I don't think predicting the future is the point. Planning for the future is the point. I have a money plan to live to 95 and support myself so as not to be a burden on anyone. I may die tomorrow & my family can have my savings. I have buddies that in their earlier days said "Que Sera, Sera" but are now having second thoughts when it's too late to plan.

Comment

Originally posted by Monark View Post
                              You sound like someone with experience. I have only used Fidelity's calculators. Are those decent, reliable, outdated, believable? I have managed mine myself & done OK but at age 60, I'm thinking of using professionals.
                              IMO Fidelity is solid - every calculator is different but for me I just want the basics.

1. I have this amount of money saved
                              2. I have this many years until I plan to retire
                              3. I am contributing this amount of money each year towards my retirement
                              4. This is how much money I need to live on once I retire
                              5. This is how I invest my money - aggressive, moderate, conservative -
                              6. When should I start taking my social security (this is a huge decision so research well)

Once you figure out the answers to these questions you can plan for your future whether you are 30 years old or 60 years old.

If you are not the type of person who is into this type of planning and thought then no problem - go hire a financial planner who for a small fee can direct you through it all - someone like the OP of this thread

For me the beauty of our retirement years is to have comfort that I nor my wife will never run out of money to support the lifestyle we enjoy

Comment

Working...
                              X