The 2021 Thermal and Night Vision Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Fordnandez View Post
    I have not personally looked through one but what I am seeing on youtube looks like great value for the money. There is a good chance you were looking at the $2300 Hogster unit and I would imagine the IRAY unit that is $4k does and should have a better image quality. Also that IRAY unit has a base mag of 4x where as the hogsters are 1.4x and 2x. The higher base mag will give the perception of a better picture and that compiled with the 12 micron and what I would assume be a better lense on the IRAY I dont doubt that it would have a significantly better picture but also what makes it 75% more expensive.
    It was the Hogster 35. My entire point with thermals, is save up a little more and buy once cry once. Because if I had that scope, I wouldn't even go out and hunt. It looked like a FLIR and was junk IMO

Yes the IRAY 384 4x is too much to scan with, but I like 4x for shooting as I normally zoom in once to 5x with my reap when I get up on pigs.

Comment

Originally posted by gingib View Post
      It was the Hogster 35. My entire point with thermals, is save up a little more and buy once cry once. Because if I had that scope, I wouldn't even go out and hunt. It looked like a FLIR and was junk IMO

Yes the IRAY 384 4x is too much to scan with, but I like 4x for shooting as I normally zoom in once to 5x with my reap when I get up on pigs.
      that's an interesting observation .. i do as well zoom once on my reap-ir when i have the time to do it ...

besides the reticles at native magnification are too coarse some time to my liking ... some options being worthless... but i do enjoy the reticle itself switching color automatically when engaging a target of similar color

Comment

Originally posted by imyomama View Post
        that's an interesting observation .. i do as well zoom once on my reap-ir when i have the time to do it ...

besides the reticles at native magnification are too coarse some time to my liking ... some options being worthless... but i do enjoy the reticle itself switching color automatically when engaging a target of similar color
        I do agree. I just like a little more zoom when shooting on objects running away.

I see videos of alot of people who like it zoomed out on 2.5x. I have tried it, but can't get myself to like it and have high success kills.

My biggest solo kill numbers are usually 5-7 on a group by myself.

Comment

Originally posted by imyomama View Post
          I ran mine last weekend for 2 hours on wifi and it didn't even budge from full ..

I screwed a tripod base ton a board to get steady footage .. and recorded on my phone .. worked surprisingly well .. posted a vid on it a few threads back i think AGM Taipan T-vision software to iphone recording - YouTube
          used it again this weekend .. one thing to notice to save batteries , if you wifi to your phone, short pressing the power butter turns the screen off , but the output is still displayed over wifi , so i don't really know how much the wifi module uses in power vs the lcd display , but i would imagine battery life would be at least comparable with wifi on and screen off as the other way around..

Comment

Agreed that you should buy as much as your budget will allow. With that said some folks don't have 4k and they might only be willing to spend 2300 or 2700 and they can have a lot of fun and kill a bunch of hogs or varmints with it.

Comment

I posted my Thermion XG50, Thermion XP50, and Helion 2 XP50 scanner in the Classifieds if anybody is looking. Hate to let them go but between Covid and oilfield, money will be more useful elsewhere.

Comment

Originally posted by Closetohome View Post
                I posted my Thermion XG50, Thermion XP50, and Helion 2 XP50 scanner in the Classifieds if anybody is looking. Hate to let them go but between Covid and oilfield, money will be more useful elsewhere.
                Man hate to hear that.

How did you like the XG compared to the Thermion XP50?

Comment

Man hate to hear that.

How did you like the XG compared to the Thermion XP50?
                  For 90% of my hunting I preferred the XP50...sitting over feeders within 100-150 yards or spot and stalk. For longer shots the 8x was about the max of what I would call usable...meaning safely identify a pig at distance with clarity. 16X was functional for spotting but the image pixilation started to become problematic. I also preferred the field of view at base mag on the XP more but that was more due to my style of hunting.

The noticeable difference on the XG50 is the image clarity...3x and 6x are stunning and 12x is very very usable extending my range and even 24x is nothing to sneeze at but it does start to pixilate.

Comment

Going with digital NV this time around. Stuck between the Pulsar Digex and the ATN x sight 4K. What says the green screen

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by texasforever View Post
                      Going with digital NV this time around. Stuck between the Pulsar Digex and the ATN x sight 4K. What says the green screen

I just bought a Digex and was able to try it out last weekend, and I absolutely love it. We had an ATN with us on another rifle, and there was no comparison in overall quality. Just my $.02. Everyone said that I should upgrade the IR, but for what I’m using it for I think it worked great.

Comment

I know there are a bunch of happy ATN owners out there but I know of two guys that have owned them and both had issues and didnt have any luck with thier warranty department.

Comment

Originally posted by Fordnandez View Post
                          I know there are a bunch of happy ATN owners out there but I know of two guys that have owned them and both had issues and didnt have any luck with thier warranty department.
                          Couldn't give me one for free!!!!

ONCE you have issues, GOOD LUCK is all I got to say

Plus the quality is lacking anyways

Comment

Originally posted by txheartshot View Post
                            I just bought a Digex and was able to try it out last weekend, and I absolutely love it. We had an ATN with us on another rifle, and there was no comparison in overall quality. Just my $.02. Everyone said that I should upgrade the IR, but for what I’m using it for I think it worked great.

How’s the daytime visual on the Pulsar? Only thing that attracts me to the ATN is the day time color feature, but I know once you have issues CS is like hell

Comment

Couldn't give me one for free!!!!

ONCE you have issues, GOOD LUCK is all I got to say

Plus the quality is lacking anyways
                              I personally wouldnt buy one.

Comment

How’s the daytime visual on the Pulsar? Only thing that attracts me to the ATN is the day time color feature, but I know once you have issues CS is like hell

Look at the Sightmark Wraith HD 2x. $500 and has a great daytime mode. IMO this scope is the best dollar for dollar value of any night time hunting scope out there. Is thermal better? Absolutely but you will be spending 4 to 5 times the amount of money to get a quality thermal.

Edit: The daytime mode on the wraith is full color where as the Pulsar will be black and white. Not sure how good it does in the daytime but I think it is safe to say that the Wraith will be a better during the daytime. I would have to assume the Pulsar would have a better image at night but I am speculating.
                                Last edited by Fordnandez; 04-14-2021, 07:59 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X