Cost to lay ceramic tile? North Houston area

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Me and the wife are about to close on our first home (new construction) and want to exchange the carpet in the bedrooms for the same tile in the living area. Estimated cost is 4500-4700 from the builder.

I found almost the exact same tile at Home Depot and spoke with a tile guy in the neighborhood and looks like I can do all 3 rooms for 2600-2700.

Was curious if that sounds reasonable?

Kind of difficult to evaluate without knowing square footage. However, if it is truly “almost the same tile“, I would pay the builder to do it. If you go over to the house you likely can find boxes from the actual tile that was laid. Order it online if you have to. You don’t want the tile that almost matches. Will also have warranty from the builder and won’t have to worry about matching grout If you’re not sure exactly what was used.

Comment

Depends on sq ft. Reasonable labor price would be 1.25-1.50 a sw ft labor install plus materials. Expect additional charge to move any furniture or remove existing flooring. Also make sure the installer knows what they are doing and levels the subfloor if needed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Square footage is 512

I can get all the materials for 950$.

Comment

Change order?

Has construction already started?

$1-$2 square foot plus materials

Anything unusual about those rooms that would make them hard to tile?

Comment

Originally posted by W E H View Post
            Change order?

Has construction already started?

$1-$2 square foot plus materials

Anything unusual about those rooms that would make them hard to tile?
            Yes, they just started laying the living room tile today. Change order is what’s proposed. I’m just curious if I’m getting gouged or not. Nothing different that I can think of in the rooms needing extra work.

Comment

Originally posted by 150class View Post
              Yes, they just started laying the living room tile today. Change order is what’s proposed. I’m just curious if I’m getting gouged or not. Nothing different that I can think of in the rooms needing extra work.
              If the carpets already laid or onsite and cut it’s probably going to cost you way more than it would if you just contracted it yourself. Try negotiating again with the builder, meet halfway between the two numbers. You want the tile to match. You want it from the same run if possible. Hopefully y’all can make a compromise. If not buy 650sqf of that exact tile and the exact grout and store in the garage and rip the carpet out and contract yourself after you close.

Comment

Originally posted by W E H View Post
                If the carpets already laid or onsite and cut it’s probably going to cost you way more than it would if you just contracted it yourself. Try negotiating again with the builder, meet halfway between the two numbers. You want the tile to match. You want it from the same run if possible. Hopefully y’all can make a compromise. If not buy 650sqf of that exact tile and the exact grout and store in the garage and rip the carpet out and contract yourself after you close.
                Appreciate the info. They are not wanting to budge on anything unfortunately but still trying

Comment

Yeah dont almost match anything on tile. Especially in a new house. Your doing right by asking. Id try to get the builder to meet u in the middle w the cost

Comment

Its not the contractor, the builders are the ahole. Tried to have them use a different paint on a interior. Nope it would void the warranty. So i had to wait close on the house, then repaint it. They wouldn’t even allow me to paint it then close on the house.

Comment

Talk to the flooring contractor currently laying the tile and have him call you after the close to ‘finish the job’.

Comment

I’d much rather carpet in a bedroom. Rest of our home is tile, bedrooms carpet.

Comment

Originally posted by Greenheadless View Post
                          Talk to the flooring contractor currently laying the tile and have him call you after the close to ‘finish the job’.

That's what the second pricing was. Looks like he is trying to get 4$ a sqft to lay which would obviously be negotiated down closer to 2$ or I would use someone else.

Only concern is finding the exact tile. I found a extremely close option at home depot. Lets see if I can upload a photo. (Tile on the right is ours and the middle one is HD)

If anyone knows where I could purchase the tile on the right so I can match exactly that would be fantastic.

Last edited by 150class; 02-07-2021, 09:45 AM.

Comment

Actually found it. Looks like its from Dal-Tile Mexico. Now just have to find a retailer.

6th one down --> https://www.daltile.com.mx/app/pdetalle/Legend
                            Last edited by 150class; 02-07-2021, 10:01 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by stevieray54 View Post
                              Its not the contractor, the builders are the ahole. Tried to have them use a different paint on a interior. Nope it would void the warranty. So i had to wait close on the house, then repaint it. They wouldn’t even allow me to paint it then close on the house.
                              I'm a builder.

If you want a different color it costs extra per color. You will also lose the "paint match warranty".

Why?

Because there are paints and colors that can't be color matched well. That means when the touchups are done the wall will look like a leopard.

People complain on their walk through when they can see every touch up on their new house. I don't blame them. I do warn them in advance that with certain paints and colors they will need to pay for rooms to be repainted if they want them to look good.

As far as not allowing you to paint yourself, we would not do it either. You would need Work comp, general liability and an vehicle policy to work on our job. We would have to be named additional insured.
                              Then you would need to put up a cash bond for us to repaint if you didn't close.
                              Not to mention if you tore something up(bucket of paint on the carpet, broke a window, dented the stove, scratched up the floor, ect).
                              Way to much hassle and liability.
                              Last edited by GA Bowhunter; 02-07-2021, 10:21 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X