No announcement yet.

Southeast Iowa Live..Come along for the season

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wow, now that would get your old pumper going.....

Rwc

Comment

I enlarged the best picture of the buck on my phone and took a screenshot.

Sent from my SM-G935R4 using Tapatalk

Comment

Gonna have to check this in the morning on my office computer

I can’t see anything on this phone screen [emoji1]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I did not hunt this morning. I got some chores to do today. I will be back in a stand this evening.

I pulled this card yesterday. Just got a chance to look at it.

This is another new buck. The bucks are are starting to move here. I have seen two new bucks in two days.

This is an Iowa Timber Hog. Look at the neck on this guy.

I am still freaking out about the buck I saw last night. I was so close to getting a shot. As soon as he came out he was wind checking. The wind was perfect for me and he never knew I was there. I walked about an extra 1/2 mile to get out. He is a mature buck and he acted like one. I hope I did not spook him getting out.

Comment

You have a score guesstimate on the big buck from last night? Was he typical or non?

Comment

sheesh...this is a good one!!!!

Comment

Man o man!

Comment

Good Luck!! I'm in!

Comment

Originally posted by Grayson View Post
                    You have a score guesstimate on the big buck from last night? Was he typical or non?
                    Brock. I am not that good at scoring from pictures or on the hoof, but I am thinking at least 160ish. He was a typical mainframe 10. He might have had some small kickers. A lot of these bucks have kickers around their bases. He has a huge body like some of the ones pictured. When I first saw him step out I thought...I'm not shooting him. It's early. The pre rut is just kicking in. Then I looked at him thru my binos and started to change my mind.[emoji846]

I was in a Game Tamer facing the creek and the alfalfa field. He came from my back side. When I turned around to my right my right arm was right against the tree. To have a shot I was going to have to lean even more into the tree to get to a window thru the trees. I was not comfortable trying a shot.

I am going in there mid day Saturday and rotate the stand around facing the terrace. The deer like to walk alone the terrace between the oat/grass field and the standing corn. I had the stand facing the other direction because I could shoot easily to two scrapes in that direction.

Timm (2050z) is going to try to enhance the pictures I got of the buck with his computer. There was just not enough light left for a good picture.

Comment

Any updates?

Comment

Good luck Mike! I really miss IA Last time I hunted there was 2012. Hunted probably not far from you around Bonoparte. 9th -13th were always my best days.

Ill be following!

Comment

I have not hunted a lot since my last post. I had to go to the eye doctor last Friday. He changed up my contacts and my vision has been a little off as my eyes adjust. I have been scouting some and I have a new stand set. I also have done some more trimming on shooting lanes after that huge buck got by me last Wednesday. [emoji3525]

I have only seen 11 deer while in my stand but 5 have been bucks. Most of the local guys I know here don't start hunting until Halloween. If they are taking vacation they take the first two weeks of November.

I have 3 shooters on camera and the big one last Wednesday was a new buck I have not seen on camera. There will probably be some cruiser bucks trolling this river corridor soon. There is still a lot of standing corn which give the deer food and cover in one spot. When more corn is cut and the rut heats up the action should pick up. You got to be in the right spot at the right time and have a little luck to get a shot.

Tapatalk would not let me post pictures unless I got a VIP membership. I got one so let's see if this works.

This evening I am sitting in a creek bottom. There is about 60 yards of Creek bottom between a steep ridge and the river. This is close to where I grunted in a decent 2.5 year old 8 the other evening.

I also posted some pictures from my walk in to this area.

Comment

Good luck Sir

Comment

Originally posted by pblaetz View Post
                              Good luck Mike! I really miss IA Last time I hunted there was 2012. Hunted probably not far from you around Bonoparte. 9th -13th were always my best days.

Ill be following!
                              Those are definitely some prime days.

Bonaparte is 40 miles east of us. That is a cool little town right on the river.

Comment

looks like big deer country for sure!

Comment

Working...
                                X