Lease opportunity, what do you think?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lease opportunity, what do you think?

I just had a lease opportunity pop up near Ozona that is too good to pass up even though it is 6 hrs from me. Anyone hunt out that way? Any advice for a someone who has never hunted that far west?

thanks,

Matt

It depends on what you consider a good opportunity and what your expectations are. But I learned a long time ago there wasn’t many places in my area that I considered worth my time so I’ve been driving 6 plus hours for years.

Comment

Not known to be a huge buck area and it’s sheep and goat country.

Comment

We hunted 20 minutes northwest of Ozona for a dozen years or so. We had 5000 acres low fence. Cattle only, no sheep. Never fed an ounce of protein and only managed with a gun. Our top end bucks were 140s-150s. Honestly it’s not much more than a desert out there, and you’ll have good years and bad years depending on rainfall.

Comment

Hunted 5 hours from home one year. It's a long way to drive after work on Friday then back again Sunday.

Gary

Comment

Go for it!

Comment

I made the 5 hour drive from me to a potential lease last month. It was fine going out on a Friday morning early when I was excited but coming back on Saturday afternoon it seemed like it would never end. Add in a stop for food or gas and then a wreck in Dallas and it was 6 hours to my door. That was not fun. Knowing I would be alone for most of those drives also added to the challenge.

Comment

I don't hunt in the area but I do know there are some exotics in certain areas up that way. Good luck with whatever you decide.

Comment

You get used to the drive, I drive 6 1/2 hours to Mertzon, from Northwest Houston drive it by myself all the time. I like it that way I get there and back home with no stops.

Comment

Would depend on the amount of animals/shots i was likely to get. If i had a real good chance of getting a shot, it might be worth it. I got to hunt a place for free this year that was 4 hours away. Free was too much for it.....

Comment

I’ve hunted 5+ hours from the house for 30 years.

Comment

We drive about 6 1/2 hours to our lease, although it's not in that area. We see animals every hunt though which is way better than NE Texas. For us, it's not bad, you just have to plan your trips. I try to save most of my vacation time up to use from September to January. Use a few days mowing and working early, then mix work and hunting during season. We really enjoy our camp time though, not just the hunt.

Comment

I would jump on it

Comment

Rough country out that way.
                            Go take a look and see what you think.

Comment

Ive drove over 8 before, had good lease between ozona n sonora n have friends on a lease at ozona that kill some nice deer every year

Id drive from here on north end of toledo bend to ozona again for the right setup

Comment

Working...
                              X