No announcement yet.

Gleaton Chip Ranch Updates

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Most feed stores have them. Even if they are not 100% cottonseed the regular range cubes are good. I wouldn't pour them out if it is about to rain. They don't handle moisture good and can make a good mess

Comment

Originally posted by bgleaton View Post
      Yes, those are the cottonseed range cubes on the ground. They killed these along with the protein from deer season through the end of March, but since we have been getting lots of rain, consumption has slowed down a ton.
      Awesome. The country looks super green. The deer should be huge this year.

Comment

5/31/16 - More Rain

We are getting another great storm right now:
        Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	49.8 KB
ID:	24445742
        After this storm, we will probably have over 7.25in for the month of May. Crazy!

Comment

We got 6in of rain last week, which puts us at 21.75in for the year so far. We are just two inches below the yearly average and are just now in the month of June. It's been a crazy year so far.

Comment

My goodness y'all have been getting hammered! I think we are around 16" for the year in SE Mason County. When you combine good ranch management with ample rainfall magical things happen! The good Lord definitely has blessed us this year.

Comment

Originally posted by Puncher51 View Post
              My goodness y'all have been getting hammered! I think we are around 16" for the year in SE Mason County. When you combine good ranch management with ample rainfall magical things happen! The good Lord definitely has blessed us this year.
              The only bad thing is that we have to do some road work. We had some wash out in low spots. Other than that, the crushed granite roads have done very well. The best thing about the crushed granite roads is that there's not much dust when you drive on them.

Comment

6/24/16 Updates

I picked up a load (1,220lbs) of cottonseed from Cape and Son's in Waco and took it out to the ranch this weekend.

Name:	image.jpg
Size:	62.2 KB
ID:	24449389

Comment

Sweet^^^

How you keep it from flying out?

Comment

I picked up a load (1,220lbs) of cottonseed from Cape and Son's in Waco and took it out to the ranch this weekend.

[ATTACH]797961[/ATTACH]

Are you going to use that right away or will you be able to store it for some time?

Chootum!

Comment

I have a cover that goes over my bed to prevent it from flying out. I put 900lbs out in our 3 cottonseed feeders and put 300lbs in a storage tote that can hold up to 800lbs.

Comment

6/26/2016 Updates

I put out 1,200lbs of cottonseed this past weekend and put out 1,750lbs of protein and 1,500lbs of corn. The protein consumption has gone way up since Spring time. They are eating around 1,000lbs in 3 to 4 weeks. I purchased 20% protein for $8.80 at Brady Feed & Fertilizer. The price last year was $10.50, but they signed a new contract with Hi-Pro and will have the 20% protein all year for this price. It's still very green and lush everywhere. Lot's of high quality browse and forbs everywhere.
                        Here are some pictures from the weekend:

Name:	DSCN8362 (Large).jpg
Size:	103.4 KB
ID:	24449489

Name:	DSCN8364 (Large).jpg
Size:	102.5 KB
ID:	24449490

Name:	DSCN8366 (Large).jpg
Size:	178.5 KB
ID:	24449491

Name:	DSCN8396 (Large).jpg
Size:	65.0 KB
ID:	24449492

Name:	DSCN8440 (Large).jpg
Size:	67.6 KB
ID:	24449493

Name:	DSCN8467 (Large).jpg
Size:	78.2 KB
ID:	24449494

Name:	DSCN8486 (Large).jpg
Size:	129.6 KB
ID:	24449495

Name:	DSCN8504 (Large).jpg
Size:	113.0 KB
ID:	24449496

Name:	DSCN8517 (Large).jpg
Size:	61.9 KB
ID:	24449497

Here is my 3yr old son filling up the cottonseed feeders:

Name:	Mason filling Cottonseed.jpg
Size:	103.3 KB
ID:	24449498

Comment

June 2016 Trail Cam Pics

Here are a couple of trail camera pictures:

Name:	PICT2981.jpg
Size:	59.9 KB
ID:	24449501

Name:	PICT2770.jpg
Size:	65.1 KB
ID:	24449502

Name:	PICT2504.jpg
Size:	63.1 KB
ID:	24449503

Name:	PICT1920.jpg
Size:	68.6 KB
ID:	24449504

Name:	PICT1680.jpg
Size:	67.0 KB
ID:	24449505

Comment

I have a cover that goes over my bed to prevent it from flying out. I put 900lbs out in our 3 cottonseed feeders and put 300lbs in a storage tote that can hold up to 800lbs.

How long do you expect the cotton seed to last? I see most people putting him out for after rut. Do you think it will last that long?

Chootum!

Comment

Originally posted by Cajun shooter View Post
                              How long do you expect the cotton seed to last? I see most people putting him out for after rut. Do you think it will last that long?

Chootum!

We feed cottonseed from end of December to about the end of July. Normally, they will empty a feeder/cage in about 5 to 6 weeks. They eat the protein a lot quicker, but I have noticed some deer eat more cottonseed than they do protein. Cottonseed is a great feed for after the rut due to its high fat content, but it's also a great feed for summer time because of the high fat and high energy.

Comment

Your deer look about the same as most of ours. We have a few that are popping G3 and even G4.
                                Most are just pat their g2 especially the bigger deer

Comment

Working...
                                X