Seed Bed Prep

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Seed Bed Prep

So, I've disked once.. I'll be disking in fertilizer here next week then I'll drag for smooth.. My question is this..

When I plant my beans & peas do I need to drag it first with a harrow, then seed, then drag it again with some chain link?

In other words how do YOU set up your seed bed and plant?

I'd appreciate some input.. A guy has a really good deal on a 48" roller and I'm trying to decide if I should even mess with it..

Originally posted by Leftridge View Post

When I plant my beans & peas do I need to drag it first with a harrow, then seed, then drag it again with some chain link?
    Yes. IMO, the key is to bury the seed @ 1/4".

Comment

Depending on the depth you have disked. You may not want to drag PRIOR to putting out your seed. It depends on the type of seed Jamie. I know with some seed types, you can damage the seed by harrowing (dragging) to much.

If you only went 1/2 to a 1 inch while disking. I would drop the seed in, and then harrow lightly over the top. Just enough to roll some dirt on top to protect it from washout/birds...etc.

That’s how we did that little plot I showed you at the house. I disked that area, we dropped the seed in. Then we drug it with a homemade harrow (chain link fence panel)...It came up strong, and came back again this year.

Ill be interested in others opinions on it as well. No expert by any means.

Comment

I think the danger is getting the seed too deep, if you disc pretty deep you might want to smooth it out a little before planting, I always lightly drag over my seed to get it covered. Something I have also started doing is using a roller to lightly pack the dirt around the seed. I use a 6 or 7' piece of a telephone pole pulled behind the tractor slowly letting it roll, this works real well on the small seed such as clover that I broadcast right on top of the ground, roll, water, and watch the deer come.

Comment

The orginal disking was 3-4 inches I'd bet.. Then I smoothed it with a chainlink fence drag.. It has rained a lot since then so it firmed back up.. I have a harrow that has 2" tines in it..

Maybe I'd be better off with just draging it with the chain link, spread the seed, then chain link again..

I've been debating the rolling issue.. A guy has a 48" Agrifab roller he'll sale for $125..But I couldn't deside if I really needed to roll.. Maybe rolling will depend on whether or not we get any rain between the time I disk in fertilizer and the time I plant..

Ferg- The S20 seems to be working out great for me too, thank you very much!
          Last edited by Leftridge; 03-11-2010, 07:20 AM.

Comment

You need to make sure that once seeded you have a firm seed bed. Rolling does that. When the seeds started to germinate and the root hits an air pocket, especially if it is hot and dry, the root will die. Good soil contact with the seed will improve your germination rate.

Comment

I have had good results with these steps:

1) broadcast appropriate lime/fertilizer based on soil sample
              2) disc
              3) drag with chain harrow to smooth
              4) broadcast seed
              5) roll with a ribbed, "drum type", cultipacker that's been filled with concrete

note: my plots are always grazed or mowed before I start the steps

Comment

Working...
              X