Quality time with my 13 yr old son...kind of a long post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quality time with my 13 yr old son...kind of a long post

I don't post much. I've been working in the oil field for 20+ yrs. I finally said "enough" recently and took a teaching position as a welding teacher at the same high school that I graduated from. It was a pay cut, but with my two sons getting older, and us both working, they just had too much unsupervised time to themselves. I know what I would've done when I was 13 if I were home alone all summer long, and it drove me nuts. So after a lot of consideration with the wife I took the job. Teaching allows me to be home when my boys are home.

Come to find out I love it!! I never in a million years thought that I would be teaching high school kids, but I was once in the same desks, in the same building, in the same shops, hating school just as they do, and I can totally relate to all of their "behavior problems" as the other teachers have labeled them as.

Anyways, so I'm off for a week for Thanksgiving and I start cleaning the shop, and my son asks if we can get the Tacoma running. This will be his truck when he turns 16 (he's 13 now). It jumped time a while back and I've been needing to install the new belt, so I said sure, but you're doing it.

So he's wrenching and says "the TV shows make this look so easy"[emoji16][emoji16]. I told him "wait until you're doing this all night so that you can make it to work in the morning"!! Good stuff.

I would never have had the time to do this if I were still working on oil rigs, and to be honest, my oldest son and I have never been able to get along long enough to accomplish much, so this has been a blessing in disguise. Sometimes the man upstairs puts something in your path that doesn't seem to make any sense on the surface. Take a closer look and it might be just what you were looking for.

Sent from my moto g(6) play using Tapatalk

Good move on your part, Money doesn't always come first.

Comment

Good move and welcome home. I have worked 80+ hours a week for over a decade until the last year or so. Granted, a lot of my days started at 3-4:00 a.m. and I was largely home in the evenings. Still rough! Congrats.

Comment

Well done....and ditto those fellas^^^^^

Comment

awesome read, thank you for sharing!

Comment

Awesome read. I did something similar over a year ago. I drop them off everyday at school, pick them up some days, and home every evening to check homework, etc. with mine. My wife is stay at home mom so me making the change was so I would be more a part of their daily lives instead of on the road all the time. Sitting in the deer stand now with my 14yr old son and 10 yr old daughter. All 3 of us sweating and on electronics (haha) but still they chose to come hang out with me for a couple of days at the lease knowing they wouldn't have wifi. I even gave them the choice earlier if they wanted to stay another night and hunt tomorrow morning or go home tonight and they chose stay another night and hunt in the morning.

Comment

Great post! A good friend of mine said,"not all money's,good money".

Sent from my SM-G970U1 using Tapatalk

Comment

Making memories!!

Comment

Awesome, spending some good time and making memories!

Comment

Congrats on the new career and the new father son relationship. There are other ways besides money to be rich. Looks like you found one.

Comment

Time is always better than money. . .your kids will remember this more than anything you have ever provided them. Great move!

Comment

Great decision! You won't regret it.

Comment

Working...
                        X