Word to the Wise

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Word to the Wise

Make sure your bow is still shooting the same from week to week through out the season.

I put new strings on my bow in August, shot 3D with it at 50 yards and shot very well. Two weeks ago I shot and something didn't seem right, but it was still shooting good and was accurate. Last Saturday night when I tried to lay down (I'll call it) a cull buck my bow made a load sound like a rifle crack, the arrow did not pass through and actually hit what we think was back muscle tissue.

Rather than risk another bad shot on a deer, I decided not to hunt on Sunday morning but instead took a look at my bow.. Here is what I found:

Axel to Axel: Spec 35 1/16 Actual 35 15/16
    Brace: Spec 7 Actual 6 7/8
    Axel to center of Peep: Spec 11 9/16 Actual 11
    Axel to center of nock point: Spec 17 Actual 16 1/2

Plus the bottom cam was about 1" out of time. I added some twists to the cables and string got the specs back and now it is shooting like a dream.

I've never had a bow change specs so much so fast. I'm not sure what happened but I'll be checking it very close over the next few weeks. If I get more stretch, I'll be contacting the string manufacturer. Could be defective strings.

Btw - if you do not have these measurements written down, get them. You will save yourself a whole lot of headache and time when it is time to change strings.

For the rest of the story on the buck - we figured a back muscle or just below the muscle shot. We tracked for 900 yards and found only enough blood to put in the palm of your hand. Ace did fantastic and took us much much further than I could have dreamed. In fact, the first spot of blood was 80 yards from the shot site. And it was on the nock end of the arrow that had broken off. We are pretty certain the buck will be seen again before the end of the season.

Keep an eye on it. That almost sounds like a cracked limb.

Comment

No wrinkles under the serving anywhere?

That sure sounds like more than stretch....

Comment

Limbs are fine.

But, to be sure I'll have the guys over at Live Oak Archery in Bryan look it over this week. Always nice to have a second set of eyes on things.

Comment

I’d bet it was your string stretching. New strings are going to stretch and get broke in. It can definitely change the timing. After it’s stretched a bit you should be able to tune and go.

Comment

Originally posted by Dusty Britches View Post
            Limbs are fine.

But, to be sure I'll have the guys over at Live Oak Archery in Bryan look it over this week. Always nice to have a second set of eyes on things.

I was thinking string, maybe starting to separate under the serving.

Comment

Sounds to me like it is probably the string stretching because it's new. They should slowly stretch unless there is a drastic change in temperature or humidity.

Comment

I dunno… I mean, doesn't most string manufacturers use a pre-stretched material? I understand a little stretch while getting everything settled... but.. nearly an inch difference in ATA and brace height? that seems like A LOT of stretch to me..

just be cautious..

Comment

I’m so glad you relayed this info. I’ve seen this scenario often with strings. I personally only trust 2 brands of strings, but I still watch my specs closely. This is why I choose a very simple setup, and although I tune my bow for to shoot fixed heads, I shoot a well built mechanical in the event a slight change occurs. The mechanical is not affected as drastically as a fixed head will be.

Comment

What a eye opener. I would not expect that much change.

Comment

The loud cracking noise is what made me think a cracked limb.

Comment

I've never seen strings stretch that much so quickly but I'm pretty sure that's all it was. I have no idea what the loud noise was.

Comment

I've never seen strings stretch that much so quickly but I'm pretty sure that's all it was. I have no idea what the loud noise was.
                          I had one crack down in the limb pocket. I couldn't see it until I took the limb completely off the bow.

Comment

I’m guessing, so take it for what it’s worth. If your strings/cables had stretched that much, cams out of time also, I’m sure your rest timing was affected also, and the noise you heard might’ve been your arrow slamming the rest down.

Comment

Ahhh... Rocky you may be correct!

I think this is all it was. The bow sure didn't have any problem performing last night on that buck.

Comment

Working...
                              X