No announcement yet.

Colorado Mule Deer Unit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Justletmein, I drew a 3rd season deer tag in unit 711, any help you could give me for an area to try would be greatly appreciated.

Comment

Hey Aggie, you may have PM'd me but did you hunt 711 and how'd you do?

Originally posted by southernutah View Post
      Justletmein, I drew a 3rd season deer tag in unit 711, any help you could give me for an area to try would be greatly appreciated.
      Yeah for sure. Shoot me a PM I've got meat on the grill right now and I'm definitely going to forget. Got some GPS for some nice camping spots you're gonna love and obviously can share the same spots we saw deer in. I've got a muley tag for 3rd season rifle way up North in 7/8 units so we'll be chasing them same time this year.

Comment

It will not let me send pm because I do not have enough posts. Sorry

Comment

What season are you looking at? Deer in August, can/will move 30 miles by November. Next year the seasons are also going to be pushed back, which will change the location of the migration if you're in the earlier rifle seasons.

In general, the deer move down before the elk, heading to the wintering grounds. The big bucks will typically show up with the start of the elk on the later seasons (hope that makes sense)

I lived down there for 8 years, and we killed some giants.

Comment

3rd season starting on November 2nd.

Comment

Originally posted by justletmein View Post
              Hey Aggie, you may have PM'd me but did you hunt 711 and how'd you do?

Yeah for sure. Shoot me a PM I've got meat on the grill right now and I'm definitely going to forget. Got some GPS for some nice camping spots you're gonna love and obviously can share the same spots we saw deer in. I've got a muley tag for 3rd season rifle way up North in 7/8 units so we'll be chasing them same time this year.
              4 weeks from today we should be meeting you in base camp

Comment

southernutah, probably best if I don't put GPS coordinates up here. In 711 though there's a trail you'll see on the maps below Glade Mountain called hogback. We saw plenty of mule deer in there and a good camping spot is right at the base of the trail if you come at it down from the main road on the North side. I know it's vague and doesn't make sense now but if you can see where the trail starts on the maps that spot is great to launch from in every direction and you're a short drive away from lots of different terrain, Timber to the West, elevation to the North, open glassing and range to the East.

Originally posted by trjones87 View Post
                4 weeks from today we should be meeting you in base camp
                Man I feel like I'm still not ready! Gonna hit the scouting pretty hard that week leading up to it hopefully all the plans don't change lol. I guess we're stuck until we see what the weather is gonna do anyway.
                Last edited by justletmein; 10-04-2019, 10:22 AM.

Comment

Thanks for the information. I will for sure check that area on my map as a starting point.

Comment

It's a great camp spot for a medium to large camp but keep in mind it may be taken, but honestly you can camp wherever so not a huge problem to scoot down the road a little and setup. If you have a really small camp, from that point there's a small steep rocky road that leads up toward Glade Mountain from there, you'll see it on the map it's the only way to get up there from where that spot's at, at the top of that there's a small tucked away secluded spot that's great for temporary or small light camp. Walk about 50 yards to the cliff there and you have a nice view with a migration trail there, not worth sitting and glassing hours type view but worth a quick look anyway. Also from that spot there's a nice little water hole about a mile in (you'll see it on the map) and we never saw any hunters anywhere near in that way. Oh, that reminds me, little closed/inactive atv trail that dead-ends back there in some very thick cover and a clump of Aspen trees, we spooked out a bunch of muleys in there. Yeah I'm gonna have to get you some GPS this is too much to try to piece together via vague descriptions and a map lol. If you don't mind putting your email addy out there I'll drop you some nuggets to your email next week when I get back.

Comment

Ok next week when you get back let me know and we can talk some more.

Comment

I would try to draw in eastern colorado in the plains, there's some good ones out there. Ill be going first of december for the late season hunt.

Comment

I hate to tell you this but 3 points might not get you drawn. My dad had 4 and didnt draw a tag until the next year. Every year is different. We hunt north colorado and used to see quite a few Muleys and now they have moved out. Tuned in for more locations.

Comment

Working...
                          X