AR muzzle brake help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

AR muzzle brake help

Gents...I have a 450 Bushmaster on a AR platform and I am looking to change the muzzle brake to the Tanker style. It threads down tight to being exactly 180degrees off from where the vent holes need to face up.
    Old crush washer won't come off, leaving it on. So...I am thinking shims like the ones for suppressors to make up that 180degrees.
    Barrel threads are 5/8x32...but the thread size should not mean anything for shim selection...right?
    The 5/8 ID for the shims should be what matters...right?

I am afraid to mess with the crush washer for fear of damaging the barrel threads, which is why I want to leave it on and use the shims to most likely make up the difference that the crush washer is preventing me from timing the brake to how I need it.
    Or no matter that get that crush washer off and start fresh.
    Thanks in advance.

Take the old crush washer off, should not hurt threads. Buy new crush washer and lock nut. install nut, washer and brake. use nut to time brake.

Comment

you need the old washer off. ive had best luck using a wire cutter/plier with the blades on the end and just cutting it

Comment

Take the crush washer off and get a new one.

Comment

I have always known that I was better with the old crush washer off, but it was egged and I was unsure how to remove it. Tried with Vise grips locked on and attempted to reverse thread it on the muzzle threads. No go, it kept slipping. Was going to reach for the Dremel, but a quick slip could mess things up. Went for the Dikes...old electricians term for diagonal cutting pliers. I can cut thin ASR with it, so I knew the jaws would cut it. I just kept nipping at and getting a better bite and was able to cut the crush washer and remove it without damage.
          Now...Had a new crush washer ready and I felt I was going to flip my bench over, but I remembered to back off and go forward. back off and go forward. I felt the crush washer...well crush under my turns and was able to time the Brake to proper alignment. Thanks guys...I would rather hammer in bolt stop pins all day long than remove crushed crush washers.

Appreciate the encouragement boys. Job done.

KIMG1843 by Tony Pic, on Flickr
          KIMG1844 by Tony Pic, on Flickr
          KIMG1847 by Tony Pic, on Flickr

Comment

I’d say that brake should work!!

Comment

Brownell sells a crush washer kit with different thickness crush washer. That way you can get the break to line up properly. Let me know how it works I just purchased a 450 Bushmaster upper.

Comment

Originally posted by T-roy66 View Post
                Brownell sells a crush washer kit with different thickness crush washer. That way you can get the break to line up properly. Let me know how it works I just purchased a 450 Bushmaster upper.
                You have a PM about the 03A3.

I bought the basic 450 Bushmaster upper from Midway. Put in a LaRue MBT, Vorxtex Strikefire optic, went to a A2 stock for comfort and went to the range with my son Joe. 250gr FTX and 300gr SP. We got 8 rounds deep and bailed. My shoulder and his was killing us...Oh... gun was accurate with the 250gr bullets at 100 yds. When we played with the 300gr ones...WOW...all I can say. Much more drop. The 250's are it.
                So after a purple tinted shoulder, I put on a adj gas block, added a Armaspec heavy 2 stage buffer and changed the muzzle break. The gun really likes the 250 gr loads. Stick with them. The 300's are a waste.
                Target Sports USA has them on sale now with free shipping. 150rds for $149 with a ammo can. Buy once cry once. Can't wait to shoot some hogs with this set up.
                Hornady Black 450 Bushmaster Ammo 250 Grain FTX 150 Rounds in Field Box at Target Sports USA with free shipping available. Enjoy deals on 450 Bushmast

Comment

Transformation of the upper.
                  KIMG0702 by Tony Pic, on Flickr
                  KIMG1872 by Tony Pic, on Flickr

The 2 holes to the left were the first 2 with the 250 gr. Made the adjustment. The next 3 were in the same hole at 100 yards.
                  See the hole on the bottom? That is the 300gr at the same distance. Huge drop. Stick with the 250gr FTX
                  KIMG1212 by Tony Pic, on Flickr

Comment

Working...
                  X