Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Whats that saying about owning a boat.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Whats that saying about owning a boat.....

my buddies and I have been talking about throwing in together on a boat. We got a smoking deal on a 18' 1860 duracraft with a yammy 2 stroke 90. We knew this thing was going to need some work. Blew a couple tires pulling it home and had to leave it on FMmiddleofnowhere while i raced 30 miles to the closest tire shop. Luckily the PO called off the wrecker for me Anyways back to the project. Starting with the trailer. Already got new hub assemblies, ubolt/bunk brackets, light assembly ordered.

So here is my first question. How would you redo these leaf springs? the brackets are pretty rusted. Looks like you can find brackets for the eye of the leaf spring but as you can see, the 'flat' bracket is rusty as well. How do i go about replacing that? or should i buy leaf springs with 2 eyes instead + new brackets?

my background: extensive training via YouTube videos and google searching
    Attached Files

Newer trailer hoss, without the rust would be my opinion.

Comment

Break out another thousand, hole in the water to throw money into, two happiest days- day you buy it, and day you sell it. But I'm sure you already know that.

Comment

We’re Dexter, the industry’s leading supplier of trailer axles, trailer parts, and trailer accessories. We excel in providing our customers with the best..

Comment

Originally posted by Razorback01 View Post
          Newer trailer hoss, without the rust would be my opinion.
          but the frame of the trailer is in good shape, its all the other stuff like the fasteners, ubolts, leaf springs, bunks etc that need replacing. figured it would be alot cheaper than buying a whole new one

Comment

Welcome to the love hate relationship with boats...

If you're going to rebuild it Dale posted a good link... in my opinion I'd buy a new one or a really nice used one. Seems those old rusted out trailers never stop giving you hell...

If you watch 2cool or Craigslist I see lots of used nice trailers... good luck!

Comment

You can find stuff online or you can just run up the road to Northern Tool. They have trailer parts there that should fit. Another place you could try here in SA is Southwest Gooseneck off Gembler. I've dealt with them before and they are pretty helpful.

Comment

You may be able to find this at Tractor supply. Just cut the shackles off and weld some new ones on. Take a reference measurement so you get them back on square with the trailer rails and paint.

Comment

Originally posted by deerplanter View Post
                  You may be able to find this at Tractor supply. Just cut the shackles off and weld some new ones on. Take a reference measurement so you get them back on square with the trailer rails and paint.
                  more of the answer i was looking for. all sorts of places to buy parts, just didnt know which route to take as far as cutting/welding back on the bracket for the 'flat' end or switching to springs with 2 eyes.

Comment

Originally posted by trjones87 View Post
                    my background: extensive training via YouTube videos and google searching
                    So, you're a professional?

Comment

Wish you were closer to the shop, I'd hook you up. Might try Tractor Supply or something similar, our local TS has all kinds of trailer parts.

Comment

Originally posted by trjones87 View Post
                        but the OUTSIDE OF THEframe of the trailer is in good shape
                        Fixed it for you. I speak from experience, start over with something that hasn't lived in a saltwater marsh its whole life.

Comment

If you have the tools, just cut the rusty stuff off and weld new back on.

Comment

Looks like the frame is galvanized and chances are the whole thing was dipped prior to adding running gear. I would cut off the bad and weld on new. You will need to grind off the galvanizing to get a good weld. Just touch up everything with some cold galvanize spray.

Comment

You just need new slide assemblies. Cut the four ubolts and drop the slide assembly off and bolt the new ones on. You can order them complete already galvanized with fenders and hangers already on them. I would call McClain trailers in Houston.

Comment

Working...
                              X