• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Get sawtooth oaks

Comment

Originally posted by Sippy View Post
      Get sawtooth oaks
      I planted 10 this past spring but they didn't survive the summer. We hit a little drought and I couldn't get out to water them.

Gonna rethink everything I did when I plant these.....maybe black plastic or possibly some drip irrigation to keep them going thru the summer.

Comment

Originally posted by CastAndBlast View Post
        Anyone know if you can buy started trees?

If not, do you want to sell some?
        Mossy oak sells sapling. And about every other forgage tree out there

Comment

I just ordered some sawtooth acorns just for you Sippy....so we will try it again.

Comment

This is where I get my trees. I start them at home and then transport to our Family Ranch. Great prices and Native TEXAS.

Comment

I have 3 chestnut trees about 4 years old and they are producing a few nuts, about 15' tall. They are planted on the edge of my food plot. I also have a bunch I ordered in the fridge ready to be planted soon.

Comment

I just wish I owned some land so I could plant trees for the deer.

Comment

I also found the chestnut trees on nwtf web site.

Comment

Originally posted by unclefish View Post
                    They grow fast.....in 4-5 years they will start to produce nuts. They drop their nuts in Sept......just in time for bow season. I'm gonna plant them in a killing area so I can hunt over them.

I have never had roasted chestnut before so I roasted some and they were good. Its a different taste but I liked it.....I can see why deer devour them.

Thanks Sippy. I like trying new and different things and get alot of ideas from the QDMA forum. Lots of good info on that site.
                    Do they taste as good as White Oak acorns?

Comment

Originally posted by 14ncs View Post
                      Do they taste as good as White Oak acorns?
                      Well when I was a kid I figured I would try a live oak acorn (member of the white oak family), I popped that thing in my mouth and starting crunching.....it flew out of my mouth as quick as it went ion.

Chestnuts are very good if you split the shell, boil them in salt water, and pop them in the oven for 15 minutes.

Comment

Originally posted by HappyM View Post
                        I also found the chestnut trees on nwtf web site.
                        Thanks for posting this.....they have some good deals on started tree seedlings!

Comment

The rootmaker trays came in....so I loaded them up.

Sprouted chestnuts...

Nuts in there new home...

Comment

Now I have 85 chestnuts in the ground....so to speak. I'm trying to find a good place to put them under some grow lights and sunlight. I've got some in my daughter's windows sill. She ain't too happy with me right now.

Comment

Originally posted by unclefish View Post
                              Now I have 85 chestnuts in the ground....so to speak. I'm trying to find a good place to put them under some grow lights and sunlight. I've got some in my daughter's windows sill. She ain't too happy with me right now.
                              Let me know if you want to sell some. I'll swap you some Persimmon seeds I'm stratifying now. They'll be ready to plant in March.

Comment

I wonder if deer will get them out of the burr? I had a couple of big trees that made lots of nuts. Never saw a deer bother them but they would dang near cripple you if you stepped on a burr.

Comment

Working...
                                X