If you were building a new house...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If you were building a new house what would you do differently. Those of you that have shops what should you do differently there?

Water enter the house on the south side of the house to shield artic northern blast

Comment

Double the size of shop make house smaller

Double insulated pipes throughout

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Add an inline leak detector with an auto shut off and a back up battery if no back up generator.

Comment

Similar thread with good info

Comment

Recessed slab for curbless shower

Spray foam insulation

More storage... everywhere

Comment

Spend the money on insulation, windows and a metal roof. More so for power savings across the board summer & winter. Only thing I’d change about my shop is one oversized door instead of 2 standard doors, and i need to insulate it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Cabela View Post
                Add an inline leak detector with an auto shut off and a back up battery if no back up generator.
                Lol, you busy? I just installed one of these in the last house I finished. Homeowner said it also reduced his insurance premiums.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Comment

compressed air nipple in the water line so I can blow all of the water out of the plumbing if needed

you can also just set up an adapter to screw in, but you need to make sure that you get the water out of the hot water lines before and after the water heater which takes a bit of planning

Comment

Originally posted by Sticks&Strings View Post
                    Lol, you busy? I just installed one of these in the last house I finished. Homeowner said it also reduced his insurance premiums.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Fixing to be.

Oh and 16’ plate on the shop with 14’ doors even if you don’t have a fifth wheel

Comment

Some I already have. Pex piping, water heater inside in a closet, no glass in showers, spray foam insulation, wood stove.

Comment

I will never put a hose bib (faucet) on the house again. They are always a problem when freeze hits. Have it come out into the yard a few feet from slab into a box. Kind of like on commercial property or golf course. That way if there is ever damage it will leak into yard and not your walls.

I haven’t had one freeze yet and break thank the Lord but they are always a fight to keep/protect.

I would also run a light string of some sorts in attic so I can flip a switch or breaker and kick on heat lamps in attic if needed.

Oh and install panel switch to hook up generator if not going with a permanent full home generator.

Comment

No plumbing on/in outside walls maybe...?
                          I have both propane and electric heat and water heaters but am adding a small wood heater. Been talking about it for a couple years. More serious now!lol
                          Generator and switching.
                          In my shop I want to add a loft in one end for storage.

Comment

Originally posted by SN10 View Post
                            Thanks for sharing. I didn’t know that thread was out there

Comment

Working...
                            X