A good Generator under $500

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sticks&Strings View Post
    I also could set a timer for it to turn off after a set time if I wanted to, and start it. It was nice in the morning not having to brave the cold with the app.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
    That's slick.

Comment

I like the idea of the small Honda style with the boat gas tank to let it run extended times. I have a Honda 2500 and Northern Toll Honda 13000 around. Like others have said, they both eat a tank of fuel in a 6-8hr window, but one take 3-4 gallons and one is 11-13 gallons. The 2 small HF 2000 can be linked and double the output if needed. This give you a backup if one fails too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by sharpstick35 View Post
        I've been able to convince the wife on a whole house generator now. I;m looking for one that runs on LP since i have a 500 gallon tank already
        How many hours will it run on 500 gallons?

Comment

I have been running Champion generators for many years. Keep the carbs clean and they will last you. I used them for work and to power my rv when I was on a lease without electric. If you still want to go cheap, Champion is a good brand

Comment

ive been looking at this one. The drop in power on NG is pretty drastic though

Ive looked at the duromax 13000 and doing the NG conversion, but even then its a huge drop in output. Not to mention after doing the conversion there is no way to really know just how much output you have.

Originally posted by stxhunter View Post
            We’ve got a powerhorse 3500 (northern tool version of the predator generators). Bought it for our RV and used it more for the blackout this past week than we ever did for the RV. It ran non-stop with no issues keeping our fridge, freezer, TV, modem and two space heaters going using about 5-6gals of gas per day. We could only one run space heater on high and one on low since I didn’t have a 30amp cord. If I would have had the power inlet installed on the house I could have easily run the furnace blower. If you wait till harbor freight puts out their 30% off coupon you can get the predator 3500 generator for close to your budget.

Harbor Freight buys their top quality tools from the same factories that supply our competitors. We cut out the middleman and pass the savings to you!

With all that being said, I think I’ll be getting the firman tri flow generator from Costco to run off nat gas. I had a few 5gal gas cans that kept us going and still had 2 full cans when the power came back on, but filling up the tanks and looking for fuel is a pain!

https://www.costco.com/firman-7500w-...100648883.html

Comment

Originally posted by Alderrg View Post
              ive been looking at this one. The drop in power on NG is pretty drastic though

Ive looked at the duromax 13000 and doing the NG conversion, but even then its a huge drop in output. Not to mention after doing the conversion there is no way to really know just how much output you have.

Yep, from what I’ve seen going with NG is about a 30% reduction in power and uses 4x the amount of fuel as gasoline. The advantage is not having to store gas or running around to find fuel if you start running out.

Comment

Inverter Generator the ONLY way to go. JMHO no warranty implied

Comment

Originally posted by bowfishin fool View Post
                  I have a predator 3500 inverter generator. $750 without a coupon and we used the AG exempt.

It cranks right up and we have 200 hours on it now. It won’t power the whole neighborhood but has definitely kept us comfortable in anytime fo the year when we needed it. Also uses very very little fuel. I burn about 1 gallon every 4 hours on 75% load. I personally don’t like to run full load if I don’t have to.

Lots of reviews on this model and people love them

I ordered this one this past Sunday...lots of great reviews on it. Just need my fridge and a couple spot heaters and the occasional load of laundry...I discovered what was really important to keep powered...we were lucky in that we were able to get out and get fast food, but an electric skillet will be on my "preppers" list the wife is working on. We've learned our lesson on this NOW! Hurricane Hannah had us without power now Uri got us..no more being flippant about purchasing some backup!

Comment

Originally posted by stxhunter View Post
                    Yep, from what I’ve seen going with NG is about a 30% reduction in power and uses 4x the amount of fuel as gasoline. The advantage is not having to store gas or running around to find fuel if you start running out.

No place to store propane at my place so I'm gonna roll with gas I guess. I want as much power as I can and I'll find gas somehow. Gas seems like it would be much easier to find that propane when you eventually run out. I wouldn't want to count on a truck coming to me that can't get there.
                    Last edited by Smart; 02-21-2021, 11:59 AM.

Comment

Anyone use a Duromax?

The XP12000HX is the BEAST of the HX Series with 12,000 watts of POWER. This unit provides the power normally found in stationary home standby generators but in a more affordable, portable package! With a 460cc OHV DuroMax Engine, this workhorse is PERFECT for HOME BACKUP and can power most household essentials such as

Comment

Any reviews on this one

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Comment

Check out the sportsman at Home Depot. They are on sale. Heck of a deal.

Comment

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post
                            I ordered this one.

WEN 56380i Super Quiet 3800-Watt Portable Inverter Generator with Fuel Shut-Off and Electric Start https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07PTNTRRJ...ing=UTF8&psc=1

Big enough to run my camper, or hook to the house and run some lights/TV/fridge/space heaters.

So far this thing is pretty slick! Cranked on the 3rd pull, starts with the battery, and has a feature to run the fuel line out at cut off. I plugged in my little air compressor and it loaded up fine. I putting together a “genny box” with fuel treatment, spark plug, oil, and the tools that cane with it. Should fit under the cover that came with it.

It’ll be handy to have if nothing else.

Comment

Originally posted by Smart View Post
                              No place to store propane at my place so I'm gonna roll with gas I guess. I want as much power as I can and I'll find gas somehow. Gas seems like it would be much easier to find that propane when you eventually run out. I wouldn't want to count on a truck coming to me that can't get there.

Same, no way I could store enough propane here at the house to run a generator. Fortunately all our appliances are natural gas and I could just hook up to that. Gasoline could still be used as a backup in case something happens to the NG line. Still deciding on what I want to do, but I think I’ve got it narrowed down.

Comment

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post

So far this thing is pretty slick! Cranked on the 3rd pull, starts with the battery, and has a feature to run the fuel line out at cut off. I plugged in my little air compressor and it loaded up fine. I putting together a “genny box” with fuel treatment, spark plug, oil, and the tools that cane with it. Should fit under the cover that came with it.

It’ll be handy to have if nothing else.

Be sure to get you some different plug adapters.....They'll come in handy!

Comment

Working...
                                X